When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

s fl gtg photos - i believe record for most watches goes to us

fotoman

Yeah c'mon Pho, the watches are beautiful and all that but where's the people?

Ken

there was a decision by all to not photo us and keep everyone anonymous however,

we all had a blast, my wife got really [censored] at me cause i told her it was a 2-4 event and she called me at 5:30 and was like where are you -

the reason being is were having a party for my mom tomorrow and the superbowl, and i was supposed to be home helping to clean the house :) so, i was kind of leaving her high and dry a bit.

didn't get home till 6, live 25 minutes away, for a lunch that started at 2]

think we were having a good time?

How many attended & where did you meet?

5 total, at least 3 left us high and dry and did not attend

the 5th was new only had 4 watches,

and i guess we had tthe record for the most GENS!!!!!\

we met at a high end bar and grill on the intercoastal in east broward

it was freaking 50 degrees out freezing

I thought I was going to do an overnight but as it turns out I came right home since my client had the same nasty virus closing in on him that I'm still not over and everyone else in FLA has had with this cold (50 F) weather.

My impressions of the GTG? In a word, blown away. My first after starting this crazy rep right back on TRC years ago. 5 people from totally different walks of life and in minutes I could tell we would be life long friends. My Mother used to say I had a gift of the world's best character meter and that I could judge good people from bad a mile away. I hope she is right, and has been so far, because I feel like I have met some great people

First, the people: (I'll use first initials)

A - Phoband: He and I are a lot alike in that we don't take life too seriously. We have alot in common with some health related stuff. But most importantly we have kind of an impish, self depricating style that is easy to see by looking in the "mirror" of another why it may be misunderstood on the board sometimes. Then again, like me he would give you the shirt off his back and his last blanket from my first impression. A good man indeed. I had the feeling we will always be friends and possibly even do a work related deal together one day.

J - JFreeman420: Another great bond for me. A professional gambler just like me. He plays cards. I play with futures contracts. Anybody who does what we do fro a living knows they are the same thing. We talked about random number generation, probability theory and all kinds of geeky stuff. I don't know why, but I have some weird feeling we are going to do somthing work related together some day just like Pho. The king of bling as we all know him. More Rolex ice in his box than you can shake a rap star at. Another good man for sure.

M - Bubu: The wisdom of the bunch. A semi-retired professional and scholar. He has this quiet demeanor and gentle look about him. He sits and listens and observes and takes it all in. He looks like he might know something we don't. And I knew I meant to ask him something else. Maybe he knows the secret to life or something. Just kidding. But again, another good man. Asked a lot of questions watch related and showed a keen interest in learning. Again, a life long bond was struck. This man would give you his last dollar.

R - Rxus: I must confess, I didn't interact with R much. He was held over by family and got in late. The real reason though was the table layout. He was kind of on one end and I was on the other so I was closest to Pho and Freeman and he was closet to Pho and Bubu. We exchanged a few words though and my character meter was well into the black. He seemed a nice and kind man with a big love for watches.

Now on to the watches:

If I miss anything guys forgive me as I'm just going to mention the one standout from each member that grabbed me...

1. The UN Maxi Marine Diver Chronograph of Pho's is AMAZING. As you all know, I'm a big fan of the brand, but if you look at all my posts you will hear me say one thing over and over - It's the FEEL that makes the gen watches what they are. To that end, I already knew the watch is a great replication. What I was looking forward to (and to be honest, what I thought it would fall down on...) was the way the watch felt in hand, fit and finish, small details, etc. I must say I was blown away. Oh, and the AR color isn't even an issue. UN does use blue tinted AR on black colored dial watches I found out BTW. It isn't all colorless. They feel it brings out the richness of the black. Eveything about this rep - the AR, the way the pushers feel, the rubber strap/bracelet is world class as well. Bravo to Josh and the factory for partnering on this and nailing it. A couple quick fixes for v2 and it will be nailed.

8003-102-3-92redn.jpg

2. The Cartier Baloon Bleu on full rose gold bracelet of Bubu's was stunning. A really high quality piece. The quality and feel of the bracelet, dial, and the gold plating was superb.

cartier.jpg

3. The Rolex GMTIIc of Freeman's is amazing. Of course we all know that by now but why not mention it again? World class replication. We spent some time comparing the construction of the Rolesor clasps on my DJ and the rep and were amazed at how close the construction and replication was done. Again, the solid mid links and sturdier case are what does it for me. My big complaint with Rolex sports watches has always been that flimsy rattly feel and this watch solves that. Feels really substantial and expensive.

ss-catalog2a.jpg

4. The Breitling Skyland on full SS bracelet of Rxus was another world class standout replication. The fit and finish is superb. I have owned a coule gen Breitlings over the years and the brand is not really known for it, but the secret is their fit and finish is pretty high up there. The rep nails that aspect to a tee. Everything feels just right and the AR really makes the dial pop nicely.

skyland2.jpg

So all in all, our GTG was a great experience. One thing is for sure: We need more of them and hopefully we can encourage more members to join us in teh future. It is an experience worth bragging about in that once again it was proved to me that this membership has BIG class. I hope the others in our group will take the time to give some impressions as well. It will be interesting to see what each of has has taken from the experience. Thanks again guys for a great afternoon. It turned out to be the sole reason for the trip and a lot of driving for one day, but in my mind it was well worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

PS: I almost forgot to comment on it. Pho's Homer Tourbillion really is amazing and he ain't just saying it! We decided together and I need to repeat it here that this watch is hands down the best watch IN THE WORLD in terms of quality and coolness that can be bought for $500 or so. And hey - its a gen! (or a rep if you choose to get a fantasy branded dial for yours) But take it from a guy who is really big on feel and minor details and picky to the n'th degree, get one of these and you won't be sorry. Approaching world class - certainly high end gen class at least for half a grand. Wow!

homertourby.jpg

WOW.....lovely watches .....always good to hear about a gtg....we have had two in Singapore over the last month.

I'm sure we'll have many more to come, mate... Just one thing though, we sure must remember to whip our cameras out in future... :p

Yes, I hope we can eventually get to where we are doing more regular GTG's like the Singapore crew. You guys are pretty tight knit down there!

Thanks for the kind words, mate! We have some great members on here! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If only, if only... we could somehow arrange a world GTG in the future... This would be fantastically awesome, don't you think? :) Once again, stunning watches out there on display! :1a:

Now that would be something. Certainly the gen groups do them and they work so no reason why we couldn't. The just need to be planned a year in a advance so those who don't work for themselves can arrange for vacations, etc. I'm in if we can make it work.

If only, if only... we could somehow arrange a world GTG in the future... This would be fantastically awesome, don't you think? :)

Now that would be something. Certainly the gen groups do them and they work so no reason why we couldn't. The just need to be planned a year in a advance so those who don't work for themselves can arrange for vacations, etc. I'm in if we can make it work.

I guess the venue would also have to be planned carefully... Having said that, a world GTG would absolutely rock, dude! ^_^

To all of those who attened the gtg, Rob, Bubu, Mr. JFreeman and Phoband it was a pleasure to have met all of you I trully hope we can do this again sometime and hopefully encourage some other members to join us, and i'll try to have a better representation of my watch addiction next time.

Rob, excellent work on your breakdown of the overall meeting. And enough can't be said about your character analysis..good stuff!.

Nice watches to everyone, it's a shame I wasnt able to interact as much with any one person in particular, maybe next time.

Thank you Bubu for putting it together.

Rxus

The meaning of life is that life has meaning. One adds value to life by service to others. I have been very fortunate in my life for the many opportunities to serve. Personally, I can serve through my profession and Rotary. Rotary has enabled me to serve myself, my communtity and internationally. It is the largest service organization in the world. " Service above Self " has been our motto.

If you are a Rotarian please PM me. www.rotary.org for more info.

bubu

• 1 month later...
Guest carlsbadrolex

That looks like a great turn out of fine watches... But if that is all of them, its not even close to the number of watches Ive seen at some of the SoCal G2G's. We once filled up two tables with watches (no boxes, just watches laid out).

And at the last one I attended, we had to have well over 100 watches.

But thats a great group of watches none the less!!!

Ive been out of this game for awhile, is that UN as incredible as it looks in the pics? WOW!

T