When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the Size Obsessed...

RobbieG

Just when I was starting to applaud my beloved underdog brand for restising the temptation to make wrist clocks, may I present the new 45MM Maxi Marine Diver. The watches are unique at least in that they deal with the size/weight issue by using a creative new material - a polished titanium case. The gold model is actually two tone which is a first for UN as well. Cool enough I suppose...

Personally , I feel the composition of these new pieces is a bit muddled in that the wave pattern on the dial is sort of un-crispy, which is what I think has always distinguished the brand. I'm sure it will appeal to a younger crowd though so hats off to them. Seeing this makes me want the 40MM one to compliment my 42.7MM version more than ever which is plenty big enough. I actually can't wear it sometimes for fear of having too much wrist presence and being "loud". Word is they will keep all three sizes for now though.

A word to the wise, the current Maxi at 42.7MM wears much bigger than its actual size - about like 44MM really due to the narrow bezel relativity making for a kind of "all dial" expansion effect. At 45MM, this new watch will wear huge - more like 46-47MM, so if that is your thing you will love it, but others be warned. It will be a very BIG 45MM...

91-1.jpg

91.jpg

PS: Personally, I hate it like poison and I think it makes the line look cheap. The 1846 line is so pivotal to the brand and I think they took a big risk and are going to wreck out with this. How do you go from this to that?

UN12r.jpg

Anybody guessing whether they will rep it or not? Materials cost may prevent it as Ti watches have fallen out of favor with the factories because of that. But if it is true that the regular MMD is coming the movement is the same (gen too) so that would work well...

They probably will...because I think they look too cartoonish. They will use SS and blast it to look like Ti. Are they bringing in your MMD supposedly? I'm assuming it will have the crappy seconds at 6...too bad. The new mega MMD lacks the elegance of yours and looks garish in my opinion.

Not my cup of tea. It's like the new line of AP ROO's....they seem to be detracting from their heritage and designing 'fad fashion' watches.

I suppose if it is polished titanium, the rep factories could get away with using steel, it would just be the weight that is the giveaway. It's certainly a monstrosity when compared to its well designed pre-decessor!

Yeah, even the bezel construction is a step back - although it kind of is on the MMD Chrono as well compared to the original MMD. You can even see that in the pics without ever touching it. The machine and hand work is just not at the same level clearly.

There just isn't anything in the line as lavish and substantial as the orignal 40MM and 42.7MM versions which are equal.

And I don't know how much of that is really opinion having handled them all (except this new one of course). But the bezel, dial, subdials, and even the texture on the strap look REALLY costumeish and cheap in comparison.

Plus I hate to say it but the light weight of the Ti will make it FEEL worse in addition to all that and ADD to the cheapness.

Just go to an AD and handle the MMD like mine on a bracelet and you will be spoiled for any others...

OK saw this one and touched it in person. One of the first ones in the states and not even for sale yet.

VERY similar to the chrono version with the same color scheme, but looks cheaper due to the wave dial. The jet black smooth dial of the chrono is much nicer. The Titnaium case doesn't go with the rest of the gold watch and seems out of place. Looks like steel but as I expected, the weight of the Ti just makes the watch feel cheap.

Ulysse-Nardin-Maxi-Marine-Diver-Ti-.jpg

You know, people go nuts over the rose and black look, but it always existed and in better fit and finished form than this or the chrono even. The regular MMD in rose either on bracelet or strap is great and pics don't do it justice - but way better really in every way. Or if you prefer a chrono - the non-diver chronos are just as nice. All these original Marine line watches are far superior to the two new ones if you like the black and gold look...

266-33-3-92.jpg

266-33-8-92.jpg

356-66-3-319.jpg

356-66-8-319.jpg

266-67-3-42.jpg

266-67-8M_42.jpg

I also like the gold and silver or gold and cream look a lot myself...

266-33-3a-90.jpg

266-33-8-90.jpg

356-66-354.jpg

356-66-8-354.jpg

So if you want quality - tell your dealer to tell the factory to rep these instead of the new ones. Trust me - the difference is night and day in the feel factor. No contest...

Another observation I forgot is that the wave pattern continued from the dial and the strap is a huge overkill. It is just really muddled up design-wise.

UN was doing so well with riding the fence between fun, creative designs and going over the edge. I fear now that Ludwig O. has left, Rolf alone will tend to steer design too far to the left and blow the cred which took 10 years with Ludwig to develop into a design machine...

This reminds me of something Pulsar would put out...

91-1.jpg

This one though I like. I'm not sure if I'd actually buy one, but if the price was right and I were feeling a little tipsy... I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear it.

UN12r.jpg:g:

I just noticed some of the others posted above, this is an interesting line, and has more appeal in my book than many others.

This one though I like. I'm not sure if I'd actually buy one, but if the price was right and I were feeling a little tipsy... I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear it.

UN12r.jpg:g:

Yeah, the picture is of my gen Maxi Marine Diver. Glad you like it. The original UN Marine line is without a doubt the finest sports/dive watch in terms of fit, finish and lengthy brand history at any price. That is my opinion anyway after handling and owning virtually every thing else the it competes with over the years.

The design is based on marine chronometers from the late 1800's and early 1900's when Un made virtually all the ships chronometers for merchant and military ships in the world. Read up on the brand history, you might find it interesting...

http://www.luxemag.org/jewellery-watches/ulysse-nardin.html

Anyway, that was kind of the whole point of the discussion in that the new additions to the Marine line don't seem to have the quality of the original. But anyway if you get hammered and you are not feeling too shy and got the urge to buy one, they retail for $7500. LOL...

Although we hear a rep is in the pipeline and should be out soon, so you might not even have to get drunk to own one!