When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BPH of Watch Movements

preacher62

This is something that I just came across on another forum and thought it might be of interest to some. We are concerned with the smoothness of the sweep of the second hand and feel that this is something that either confirms or denies the genuineness of a watch. Someone was asking about the lift angles for calibration on some watch movement and this document was thrown in. Scroll down to Rolex and you will notice that all of the calibers beat from 19K to 21.6K per hour.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p5o...Bjx8xkOJtA2AiZA

The smoothness of the sweep of the second hand is directly related to the beat rate of the movement. This being true, the Asian 21J 2813 that comes in the basic noobmariner is more authentic than any of the 2824-2 or 2836-2 movements, whether gen or clone.

Could this be true? Maybe VPH and BPH is not the same number, but I think it is.

I always thought that the Rolex, in-house movements were the ones that beat in the 36K range...not so.

Comments???

Thanks, that is a great resource.

On a similar note, someone here was recently talking about the 19.8 movements on the vintage models. I have some 19.8 Vostok 2416 movements. I am going to see if it fits in a rep SUB case I have, and report back.

Although this is a Russian movement, I can say, from experience they are pretty reliable. A friend has been wearing a watch with this movement for 2 years straight, and I have one in a beater that I often wear during action sports.

Here are more details.

http://www.vostok-watches.com/movements-russian-watches.html

Vostok 2416Б (RU)

2416B.jpg

Mechanical lever movement

Automatic winding

Diameter: 24 mm

Movement height: 6,3 mm

31 jewels

Functions: hours, minutes, seconds, date calendar

Shock protection

Frequency: 19800 vph

Daily rate from -20/ to +60 s/day

Precision movement: from -10 to + 30 s/day

Power reserve minimum: 31 h

Not sure if it is TABOO to mix Swiss and Russia. ;)

-Ronin

2416B.jpg

Mechanical lever movement

Automatic winding

Diameter: 24 mm

Movement height: 6,3 mm

31 jewels

Functions: hours, minutes, seconds, date calendar

Shock protection

Frequency: 19800 vph

Daily rate from -20/ to +60 s/day

Precision movement: from -10 to + 30 s/day

Power reserve minimum: 31 h

Not sure if it is TABOO to mix Swiss and Russia. ;)

-Ronin

Interresting. The movement seems to be on the thick side tho. Let us know how it works out.

Can you get replacement parts for this Russian movement? Part availability has been 1 of the main attractions to ETA movements (though this may change next year).

Haven't looked into individual parts per say, but the entire movement can be R&R'd for $30-50.

-Ronin