When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are these people high or what?

Demsey

Ummmmm, I'm into Rolex, as my Dad is/was, but, what is realistic with regard to the worth of a '73-'75 6263? There was a thread recently with regard to the original purchase price but.................... Surely, the below, is unrealistic? Nuts!

Freddy? Opine? eBay

6263II.jpg

I just came into possession of this watch recently and am going to get an appraisal for insurance. What should I look for as fair value?

TIA

Edited by Demsey

Those Daytonas are pricey. Yours is worth $30K plus or minus depending on condition. Rick's watch is probably a little overpriced- esp. in this market- but he says it's pristine w/ B&P. Also, the R serial is the latest I've ever seen. Who knows, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Rick's price is not totally out of line, especially for an all-original watch with original papers. Certainly, as of last summer, he would have no trouble getting his BIN price (& then some). But, with the present economy, the gene pool of buyers willing to lay out that much cash for a watch is smaller. Still, it only takes 1 buyer.

6263II.jpg

I just came into possession of this watch recently and am going to get an appraisal for insurance. What should I look for as fair value?

Based on what I can see, I would say the watch is worth anywhere between $22k & $35k. Alot depends on its mechanical condition & how it looks through a loupe. Also, if your father has the original box or purchase paperwork, that would tip its value up towards the upper end of the scale.

My likie what I see. :wub:

No, demsey, you're not high. Certain models (I'm not sure which) of these are in the stratosphere. A friend has a white faced 70 model and it's worth close to $50M. Here is a good place to get a reference: http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html

Wow, that must be quite a watch, I wonder what it's made out of.... :D

Dems - I wondered if it, using car parlance, has a full service history?

Proof of such can sometimes enhance the value as well.

Appreciate that insuring the watch is a must however on the subject of "worth" itself, it's all relative if we're talking real worth.

The watch will undoubtedly have many great stories to tell. (is it a talking watch? :D ) and the fact that, if I've assumed correctly, your Dad has passed it on to you is a magnificent gesture and speaks volumes of your relationship together without knowing anything.

Enjoy it, for it will bring more pleasure than all the greenbacks in the world. (sort of)

J

Thanks all. Just wanted a 'ball park' figure for the eventual appraisal..........................I now have something in mind. Cheers.

'Collectability' aside, especially here with regard to the WIS knowledge, to handle this watch as an ignorant 'layman' and to know what it may command at auction has dumbfounded many in my personal circles. And me! lol, the next noob who bemoans the fact his WM9 16610 feels 'light' especially considering the hollow bracelet, should heft this piece. With Plexi crystal hollow folded mid links and stamped endlinks it's a feather @ 75g !

The watch operates well, not sure if it still is within COSC, but merely by virtue of 'time that has passed' it is in dire need of a service. That will cost a bomb I'm sure but I'd like to have it serviced and cosmetically brought up to speed before the appraisal. One subdial totalisor (minutes) is a little off it's mark at 'reset'. That will be an interesting venture in and of itself. I have heard that AD's and authorized service centers have been shying away from servicing the vintage models. The watch not being 'broken' is an edge. Not sure of the availability of 727 calibre parts? My Dad kept up with the service intervals, but I'm sure he didn't have the presence of mind with the regard to 'collectability' to have saved receipts. The B&P, and with them, the original Panda dial, are 'somewhere'. Hmmmmmmmmm, anyhoo, as John hast alluded, the worth to me is 'priceless' so I'm not sure how comfortable I would be posting this in the mail, even insured to the hilt, and sent off. I may have to go on a Haj this Summer to find a capable and willing smith and hand deliver.

MmmmmmmmmmK thanks again for the input guys!

@ Robert,

Speaking of 'high' I 'Totally Remember..............' your old RWG avatar. Too funny.....................

Edited by Demsey

@Dems, you might give Ziggy a long hard look for this. Seriously.

My triple date pre-Breitling Gigandet was dropped and quit working right (I can at least blame this on someone else). It has a movement very similar to yours, v72c. Off it went to Ziggy and he immediately spotted its many problems, and was able to find a replacement to the broken main wheel and shaft through his network of parts people. Easy squeasy, it's back on my wrist now... perfect again.

My 6536 was in DIRE need of a cleaning and service, so off it went to Ziggy. He went way, way above and beyond for me, and it's running like a champ now.

My 1680 is there as we speak... it's the grungiest watch you've ever SEEN and I'm sure it will come back smelling like kittens and Jennifer's perfume.

When it comes time for the DRSD to get serviced, I'll have Ziggy do it, if he's agreeable.

He's that good.

Here's a closeup of his work with a lume brush. This dial was NASTY when I sent it, with green goo glued to the dots. Now look at how smooth the indices are. The 9:00 stick was misshapen from the factory and he matched its bad outline exactly. :wub:

4.jpg

Ditto Nanuq. While I would understand your hesitancy to ship the watch, Ziggy would be my 1st choice to have the job done right. If you ship the watch by Registered Mail (which is what Rolex always requires for watches that are routinely shipped to & from them), it may take a bit of additional time to reach its destination, but it should make it there safely.

Ditto Nanuq. While I would understand your hesitancy to ship the watch, Ziggy would be my 1st choice to have the job done right. If you ship the watch by Registered Mail (which is what Rolex always requires for watches that are routinely shipped to & from them), it may take a bit of additional time to reach its destination, but it should make it there safely.

Roger that... I sent the 6536 to Ziggy by registered mail and it arrived late, but it arrived.

I feel your pain though... it will NOT be fun putting the 1665 in a box and mailing it, registered or not. That almost qualifies for a plane ticket.

Hey. You're a pilot. :g:

you might give The Zigmeister a long hard look for this. Seriously.

He's that good.

Mega dittos.

The Zigmeister would be my 1st choice to have the job done right.

Mine too.

it arrived late, but it arrived.

Ulcer material.

I feel your pain though... it will NOT be fun putting the 1665 in a box and mailing it, registered or not.

Therein lies the rub. You're not paranoid if they really are out there looking to get you! Or your watch! :D

Hey. You're a pilot. :g:

The plane ticket would be cheaper. :)

I remember kicking around a genuine Rolex site years ago and members would stage GTG's to do just what we are discussing here; personally hand delivering cherished watches for service en masse`. They would travel, maybe not such great distances and consider it a social event, kind of like a 'poker run'.

I'll suss it out. I think it may be good fun looking locally, maybe down to South Florida to the more influential enclaves, in search of a capable smith. Wearing the watch in may get some good conversations going.........................