When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bad, Really Bad UN Reps

RobbieG

A typical timeline: A dealer of ours buys a gen UN before it is even released. He preorders it at Basel and as soon as it comes in he turns it over to be torn to pieces and replicated.

-Then months and months later the rep is released to us on the boards first as a sort of test market for the first run to see how it takes hold.

-Then it goes to the watch markets for bigger distribution as evidenced by Google image searches delivering hundreds of hits on sites we never heard of selling the watch. The high end rep is now taking a firm hold on the world.

-Then the inevitable finally happens, the point at which you really know the new brand is officially taking hold. A copy cat factory buys the rep and then replicates that for the low end "Canal Street" level watches and markets. In other words, the reps of the reps start to appear.

And so the circle of rep life is complete. And it all started with us and a dealer listening and giving us something we were asking for. But eventually, most of the UN Maxi Diver Chronograph reps sold will be these - by the truckload all over the world for mere pocket change:

And the part I love the most? The red 200M font is totally unobstructed...:rofl:

Ulysse20Nardin20Watch001.jpg

Ulysse20Nardin20Watch004.jpg

Wow. I am surprised really. Definitely the low quality Asian chrono movement in it as evidenced by the date window position. And $200 is way higher than I expected. I was thinking these would be sub-$100 replciations given the cheap base metal bezel with the thin lumpy plating. Hard to believe they get that much for them.

How come there's no rep of the MMD yet?? :o I know I've got dibs on Robbie's, when he ascends off this mortal coil, but I don't fancy waiting that long to try one... I'd've thought that the simplicity of a non-chrono watch would have been a fairly easy start for the factories... At this rate, I might have to actually buy a Yacht-Master as a substitute :lol:

How come there's no rep of the MMD yet?? :o I know I've got dibs on Robbie's, when he ascends off this mortal coil, but I don't fancy waiting that long to try one... I'd've thought that the simplicity of a non-chrono watch would have been a fairly easy start for the factories... At this rate, I might have to actually buy a Yacht-Master as a substitute :lol:

Oh. There is...

2Ulysse%20Nardin76.jpg

Not sure I fancy the idea of flushing three hundred bucks down the toilet though...

:bangin: