When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ulysse Nardin Maxi Chrono RG

tazzman

I will not do any review just post some pictures of this beautiful piece that Lani made me buy after I saw his pciture of this UN... a watch that I never would have bought from the dealers pics..

Love it to death - new favorite ! Quality is suburb and rubberstrap is really great and comfortable.

thanks Lani =)

nanllaabk.jpg

and a bad wristshot in the bathroom.. sorry will post better pics when I have daylight during the weekend.

oanlcaabk.jpg

- tazz

Congrats. They are very high quality pieces - all versions. And I'm pretty picky being that I now have two gen UN's, including an diver and I also had this exact same gen for a time as well. The feel really does approach that of the gen - although more than a little bit lighter which is a plus for balance on the rep. Visually I think the rep gold looks better than the gen as well - more like true rose gold.

Gen UN rose gold is very close to yellow gold in color. Very little copper in their alloy compared with other makers. That is why I didn't keep the watch. I felt like I had a yellow gold watch and it just doesn't suit my complexion. Very green looking. But the rep color is very warm and pinkish/red. Good stuff. Again, congrats!

Handled the gen UN RG about 10 min back at a shop @ Shangri-La Plaza in Manila. I am blown away by the finish on the gen....

RobbieG was right....it looks more of Yellow gold than Rose gold. Visually....I couldn't tell any difference other than black screws for strap midlinks. The Rotor on the gen is AMAZING......

The gen weighs a ton...easily more than twice the weight of the rep or even more......feels really really solid. Selling price before discount....USD29K. Man.....I am so bloody tempted to get one right now.......will go back in the evening for another look. Must control myself..... :p

Glad you had the chance to see it Samu. The yellowness of the UN gold is a big turn off to me. Of course all alloys are a little different. I also find that companies that still offer YG despite the RG craze tend to have pinker RG so as to make a clear distinction between the two and of course UN no longer does any YG so they are trying to split the difference. But historically, RG was much more yellow with all brands a hundred years ago. The real red and pink stuff was always called Red Gold and Pink Gold respectively, but rose gold proper is only supposed to have a touch of copper. So really UN is doing it right actually to be technical about it.

But in my experience when RG starts to fade it gets a little green anyway just like yellow gold, but the green from the copper mixes with that and makes a sickening greenish brown. If I ever own and RG again it will be very pink or not at all. My favorite RG is Rolex Everrose. To me the color is perfect and it will never change with the PT in the alloy. I'm surprised more companies don't put 1% PT in all their gold alloys to lock it in - expecially WG, which has to be regularly rhodium dipped and repolished to look great over the years. Of course the solution for high end watches not offered in steel is always to just rob a bank and buy PT I suppose!

You should check out the gen on full gold bracelet BTW. A weapon, but amazing. The only thing better than a Nardin bracelet is a precious metal Nardin bracelet. Their bracelets are the finest in the world at any price and that is completely objective. The only ones that come close are Vacheron's but even those are a hair less impressive...

Great watch and nice pics. I have both the SS model and the Rose gold model. But I have to send back my RG clasp as it does not stay closed properly and the fittings have quite a bit of play in them.

My SS version is great. I tried to clean up some scratches and lost a bit of the writing on the clasp.... just a touch, so be careful about that. Enjoy and thanks for the pics!

Edited by Nicholas

Thanks Robbie. I did go back to the AD....but unfortunately was late and they had already closed for the day. Will be in Manila in a couple of weeks again....will go have a serious talk with them.

@Nicholas....I also have both the SS and the RG version. What did you use to remove the scratches from the clasp?.....CapeCod?