When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Box & Papers

mickyblues

So im looking to buy a gen Rolex and wondering a couple things.

How much are having papers with the watch worth?

On newer Rolex's I notice they come with warranty cards now, is that a replacement for papers?

Funny thing is, you can talk down the price because the papers aren't available, but you don't wear the papers or carry them around now do you?

Unless you are a hardcore collector, The best deals can be had because the boxes and papers aren't available.

It never mattered to me.......unless I was selling a watch.....then it brought a higher ask price......unless I know you B)

ok, obviously the price without box and papers will be lower, but come on!!!

if you buy a car, would you buy without papers and other documentation for a "better" price?

if you are going gen you might as well get the full package. not only is it safer but it completes a watch experience.

and yes, "newer" rolexes have "credit" card style warranty cards replacing the older "certificates".

good luck on your purchase and all the best.

Asim

Buying new is different. The papers cover warranty issues (Same as a car)

Buying used, A car needs a clear title for me......the window sticker and warranty information don't matter and of course the box would be too big to worry about.

Same as with the watch. If I am certain of the pedigree, the bax and papers take up space and don't matter.....to me.

Ok, Ok...I changed my mind.

I wanted papers, box, goodies and then suddenly noticed I was paying double to get a full set.

So, in example...I am looking for a 1680 White currently.

You won't believe this probably but most of the members here are saying "papers/goodies are an extra 500".

Sure!

The 1680 my usual seller has for sale costs over 7K....

After mailing him and telling him I am in the 4K range....he said "no problem Stephane, I'll get you a full untouched 1680 white but no papers/goodies"

Now imaging I receive my watch and send it to Rolex for service.

As it is a gen, they will service it and return it with a "ROLEX SERVICE 1 YEAR GARANTEE PAPERS"

Isn't that good enough to make the watch authentic?

Now, if you want a genuine box set for your baby, fo to Tomyama on eBay and send him 100$ and you have a full set ;)

The only thing I will say is when buying used you want to be very sure the watch is in fact genuine when it comes without box and papers.

Mickey as stated you need better pic's than the ones you have been given, it might just be coincidence but those pic's look like they have been taken "just So"

Ken

Now imaging I receive my watch and send it to Rolex for service.

As it is a gen, they will service it and return it with a "ROLEX SERVICE 1 YEAR GARANTEE PAPERS"

Isn't that good enough to make the watch authentic?

Definitely.

Maybe to be safe, you should check the COSC and serial number with Rolex before you buy. They should be a match from the factory. Unless, the movement was replaced, but even then, if done by Rolex, the new COSC # would be registered to the case serial by RSC.

Definitely.

Maybe to be safe, you should check the COSC and serial number with Rolex before you buy. They should be a match from the factory. Unless, the movement was replaced, but even then, if done by Rolex, the new COSC # would be registered to the case serial by RSC.

Ok sorry if I appear stupid here, but where do I get the COSC#? And is there a way to check these numbers with Rolex for authenticity(ie. Website or call)?