When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some advice from any Jaguar owners

Chicken Manny

Dems - the wife has a Z3 and on occasions when I have had to use it and spied doing so by my mates, they tell me it makes me look like a gay hairdresser!

Bah!

(Not that I've got anything against gay hairdressers!)

LMAO!! Yeah, my wife had the MX5 BK (before kids). I used to hate to even passenger in it;

"Hey, check out the cute chick in the Miata! Why do they always have gay guy pals? Hmmm"

Pity too, because I'm sure the Z3 and 8 are fun.

It's like a recurring rock dream I have tho'; I'm at the Albert Hall in 1969 and Pagey invites me up on stage to jam a tune I penned that he and Robert are all on about, Kashmir (I'm from the future you see), then the roadie hands me my axe:

pink.bmp.jpg

I usually wake up in a cold sweat............along the Straits of Fear, ooooh, oh, whoa, whoa............

It's like a recurring rock dream I have tho'; I'm at the Albert Hall in 1969 and Pagey invites me up on stage to jam a tune I penned that he and Robert are all on about, Kashmir (I'm from the future you see), then the roadie hands me my axe:

Similar dream Dems.....Pete and I - Leeds University. Pulsating bass by John. Machine gun drums by Moonie. Cha-ching! By Pete.......I approach the mike........."Happy Jock wasn't old but he was a man......"

Roger........"F*ck off!"

......one burst bubble later! Never mind eh!

• 1 month later...
Although I have always loved the looks of the XJ Jaguars I never considered owning one due to reliability issues. Well now I'm doing what I thought I would never do; I'm considering buying a XJ8. From the reading I've done it seems the issues have been greatly improved on the newest series but I would like to hear from any members that have knowlege on the subject.

I'm aware of the air suspension issues but what else could you tell me? Also, I know they are working on an updated version for 2010 or 2011 but I can't wait that long.

Thanks in advance for the help! :D

One of the nicest cars on the road, and they're making 'em reliable now too. I like the XK and the XJ. Let us know when you buy her and post plenty of pics!

Like they say, timing is everything.

I rarely venture into this forum (I come to RWG for watches), but I had some free time & found Chicken Manny's post. While I have no personal experience with the current crop of Jaguar cars, I was trained (35 years ago) to fix them & I spent several years after that restoring them (mostly E-types). I still have a couple of friends who specialize in modern Jaguar repairs & while they are some of the most beautiful & comfortable cars on the road, my impression is that they remain at or near the bottom of the reliability list. For a 2nd car that you just want to be seen around town in, I would say, unequivocally, go for it. But if this is your daily beater, I would think twice & consider something else (Lexus comes to mind).

The new Jags are great. It's a Jag AND reliable :)

I can joke as I had a XJ-S for a few years. Wonderfull car, big, heavy lump of a coupe but the sum was so much more than the parts. It was a mile eater without par. Brisbane to Sydney (1000 odd klicks) was a stroll in the park. You arrived in good shape and still capable of thought and action unlike some GTs that you fight the whole way there. It was a nice big heavy car so took a lot to throw off line, it simply ate rough roads for brekey. That old V12 lump is a great engine as long as you don't overheat it (they don't like that). Loads of torque and a very usefull midrange. This si where the twelve belongs, not wieghting down the nose of a E-type but filling that huge expance in the front of the coupe. I have an option on a one owner example if he ever decides to sell. I have a mate who put a pair of Garrets on onme of the 12s for his Lambo replica (he built it from scratch inc the spaceframe!) I wonder if they would fit in the XJ's engine bay? Hmmmmmm.

Please tell me that thing a few posts up is not the new Jag? Sheeeesh!

In short, go for it just make shure the car you get has complete and up to date service records. Euro cars do NOT like missing out on regular services. Do it on time and all is well. Miss a couple . . .

I would be useing a synth oil such as Mobil One in her too if I were you preferably allong with a Purolator Pure One oil filter and A K&N filter pad just to be on the safe side.

Dems: Ypu want the M Coupe or the M Roadster for real Z3 fun! Droping the M3 engine/brakes/suspension in one makes it all the fun in the world and definiatly NOT a woosy girly car. Of cause with your laws strangling the M3's ability to perform as intended even that may be a little blah. Try shoehorning the M3 donk into a 316is instead. The result is the fastest and best handling "Corolla" you've ever seen :)

Col.

Jaguar used to be a great manufacturer of British luxury and sport cars. Then it was purchased by Ford. Now, to spit on it even more, it was purchased by Indian carmaker TaTa.

So you would be buying an Indian car that was, at some point, "done up" by Ford.

I wouldn't, but it's your choice.

What a load of bias. Ford did them a lot more good than harm. A LOT better looking aesthetically, Ford quality control, and funding. How is any of that bad? I'd much rather own a Ford made Jaguar than any other.