When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Greetings From South. FL !

thw

Let me start by saying that I am blown away. I was under the impression that I knew quite a bit about rep watches. Oh how very wrong I was. Over the past ten years I had amassed some 40 watches including a bevy of what I believed to be high ends reps purchased in NYC in the 200-300$ range as well as a 18k Patek left to me by my grandfather, two gen Tag professionals and a Raymond Weil Tango. Sadly, In March of 2008 my house was burglarized and in addition to my entire gun collection, all three of my watch boxes were taken. The only things they missed, luckily, was an early 1900's VC pocket watch that is chain wound and a 1940's 18k Hamilton pocket watch with a hunting case. Needless to say, I was devastated and only more insulted when I learned that our home owner's policy has a $3000 cap on jewelry and firearms without a separate rider.

And so I have spent the last few months gradually trying to replace some watches and have made the mistake of one purchase from Bluefakes for a GMT (so so) and two Tag Carrera's from I-offer (they are both garbage). I spent about 5 hours yesterday reading through parts of the forum and must say I have learned far more than I could have imagined and now think I have some good leads on a Sea Dweller as well as a nice TT sub. I would just like to thank everyone for the wealth of Information they have made available and the fact that I will be able to make future purchases with far more confidence!!!

For the record I am an attorney down here in sunny FL if anyone needs a bit of advice or help with any local issues.

Cheers!

Welcome to the Soflo crew. Nice to have you on board. We have some cool members and enviable collections down here in this RWG contingent. Sorry wbout the burglary and it blows about having to have and pay for the additional jewelry rider. It can get expensive. I have thinned my collection out and the premiums are down to a few hundred a year for mostly my watches and a few other key pieces, but at one time it seemed a crime to be paying on a collection 5 times or more as large.

Info for anyone who thinking about insuring his watches: You want the type of policy where you log on to your companies site and input each watch with description and serial you own - no need for a picture as long as you can prove you bought it. You start with what you paid as a value (not retail as it raises the premium for no reason). Then if it coes up (your cost with AD discount each year, you just go in and change the value. Takes 5 minutes. Anyway thats it. But above all, make sure the policy is the type that covers the watch no matter where it is, including in a hotel room or even on your wrist while traveling (asks of God aside of course). So you can leave home without watches and know you are covered and even leave home with multiple watches as many of us do when traveling without a care in the world. Sure, Iput them in the safe when in a hotel, but it is nice to know they are covered no matter what. You pay a little extra for this kind of replacement cost but it is worth it. Figure roughly 1%+ of the replacement cost of the collection per year for premiums.

• 1 month later...