When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Occupation?

spider87

Ok, so you all seem to be very successful and being 19 I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do in my life. I already have a new programming job coming up so that's fun and I have an ASB in Programming but there's still the option of changing to what I'd like so...

What do you all do? What are your occupations? And would you call yourself successful?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A father, lover, and fighter...perhaps in that order...and successful in all aspects. :)

I do project management for large IT projects.

I should have guessed that from your avatar T!!! ;)

Computers engineer and tech support manager for a computers peripherals company btw.

Oh and i got to agree with BT...success for me is finding at last who has the best sub!!! :p

Cheers

John

Very cool toad and @BT I do know that it was a partially related question. Success in my mind means being happy and able to live how you please (relative to the person) and also having someone to share it with who is happy. My main drive is to give my better half a good life.

@jmartin lol then we'll never find success as from what I've been reading around here the answer to the question 'Who has the best sub?' is relative to the person also haha

Edited by spider87

What do you all do? What are your occupations? And would you call yourself successful?

I draw stuff... I'm an Art Consultant... And I'm not successful. I would be, if people had more money to spend on non-essentials, but never mind :D I'm even eyeing up a local admin job as to be honest, bills need to be paid, and a job's a job, but on my marriage certificate, it lists my profession as 'Art Consultant', so that pretty much makes it official that that's what I am :lol:

I draw stuff... I'm an Art Consultant... And I'm not successful. I would be, if people had more money to spend on non-essentials, but never mind :D I'm even eyeing up a local admin job as to be honest, bills need to be paid, and a job's a job, but on my marriage certificate, it lists my profession as 'Art Consultant', so that pretty much makes it official that that's what I am :lol:

That sounds like fun. Does it actually list occupation on marriage license? Are you in the US? Do you fill in what you want or do they take it and generalize it for you? The latter sounds more fun haha see what the licensing people think of what you do :-P

Yes you are Tee...just take a look at your marriage photos mate...you got a lovely wife and all those friends who love you

and stood there by your side at your big moment...and not to mention all the ppl in here who got a great respect for you...

yes you are succesful...

Cheers

John

Yes you are Tee...just take a look at your marriage photos mate...you got a lovely wife and all those friends who love you

and stood there by your side at your big moment...and not to mention all the ppl in here who got a great respect for you...

yes you are succesful...

Cheers

John

+1 to that and

+1 respect to tee

I agree that being successful has little to do with the money you make. I do define myself as being successful but my top five reasons as to why do not include money or work.

I have a background in computer science and work for a Private Equity/Venture Capital firm, raising money for technology and alternative energy companies.

Success has to do with the enjoyment of your time away from your job. You are not your job.

If you go to any 10th yr school reunion, you will see every guy walking around with a ruler in one hand and their d**k in the other. After 20yrs, the rulers are all gone, as people realize what's truly important.

I work in Nuclear Operations at a large generating station. I hate most days I'm there. Fortunately, I am very senior and get a lot of holidays. That, combined with a shift schedule that has a lot of time off built in, and I have plenty of time to unwind and take care of my wife and dog and do the things that take away life's stresses. Trust me when I say that a 6 figure salary cannot make up for the days when you do nothing but watch the clock. I had far more job satisfaction working for a specialty retail store many years ago.

yes you are succesful...

Cheers

John

Thanks, my friend, that's a really good thing to say, and it's much appreciated :) Indeed, I know how lucky I am to have the friends and family I have, and indeed, success shouldn't be judged by purely material criteria, I guess it would just be nice to have regular money coming in via my business. Of course, I know that that's more a statement of the economy, than as my business itself :) Thanks again for the kind words :drinks:

That sounds like fun. Does it actually list occupation on marriage license? Are you in the US? Do you fill in what you want or do they take it and generalize it for you? The latter sounds more fun haha see what the licensing people think of what you do :-P

It'd be more fun if it paid better :lol: To be honest though, it can lead to some very varied commissions and projects :) In the UK, it lists the occupations of the bride and groom, and also the occupations of the bride and groom's fathers (or step-father, if the step-father is named instead of a biological father)

The information has to be given to the registrars, and they then put the information onto the certificate, although they don't actually ask for proof of occupation (could be hard for the self-employed) so in theory, someone could give any kind of occupation, and have it accepted :lol:

It'd be more fun if it paid better :lol: To be honest though, it can lead to some very varied commissions and projects :) In the UK, it lists the occupations of the bride and groom, and also the occupations of the bride and groom's fathers (or step-father, if the step-father is named instead of a biological father)

The information has to be given to the registrars, and they then put the information onto the certificate, although they don't actually ask for proof of occupation (could be hard for the self-employed) so in theory, someone could give any kind of occupation, and have it accepted :lol:

A few such as "Zero Gravity Brain Surgeon" or "Owner of the World" Come to mind haha

And of course justification for both in the case of questioning, "Zero Grav brain surgeon" Is an experimental new surgery option giving doctors more freedom to work as they don't have to worry about pieces falling in the way of their workings. and "Owner of the World" could work you know if 'The World' is what you call your forum or possibly your household haha

Edited by spider87

Why do you dislike it krusty? That sounds so interesting

:p

It's hot in the summer (working around steam systems), and when a unit is shut down, it's a constant 'hurry up' mode of working to try to get it back online (huge $ involved). The rest of the time, it's like the movie "Groundhog Day". Every shift is deja vue. Boring routine, over and over. The amount of paperwork we have to do just to provide an auditable trail for work performed is staggering. The money, though, is fantastic, and does make up for some of the negatives.

A few such as "Zero Gravity Brain Surgeon" or "Owner of the World" Come to mind haha

They might raise a few eyebrows, but, had I told them I was in Import/Export, or a watch smith (and my wife told them the same thing [in the UK, a couple are now interviewed independently to corroborate that they actually know each other, and are not just getting married for some kind of passport scam]) they'd've put that down instead, without a moments hesitation.

I'm guessing you don't have similar protocols in the US before marriage?

Not sure we still have 72 days (the licenses are only good for 60) so we have to wait a while before getting them still. I'm hoping they don't cross examine us lol. Though I've been with my fiance for 7 years almost now and I feel I know her well enough to pass any test she's still a woman haha. Not to be offensive they just have their hard to understand moments.... :-p

Purchasing Manager by Day

Day Trader by Night - Great satisfaction not from the fact I am earning extra but I am learning new things in life.

I am successful with a great happy family of 2 sons, the younger one arrived this month and a loving wife!

lol bit of a contradiction. No really though check your PM in a min

@e6, what do you sell?

Edited by spider87