When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC TG Ceramic

lanikai

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lani-

The only question left unanswered is how those 12, 3,6, and 9 markers look. It drives me nuts on the 3717 that those markers look like someone pasted on blocks of lume rather than elegant markers which taper into the dial (overall lower marker height as well) on the gen. Whaddaya think?

ATB-

Kruz

FYI.. these pics were done with more lighting as to illustrate the Ceramic finish... the true colour is darker (of course with less lighting) but I wanted to show the even texture of the ceramic finish

but notice the dust on the dial.. to say I was frustrated is putting it "gently" I realize it is the luck of the draw... but yesterday was not a good day to be unlucky ;) but life goes on, today is a new day ...

iwcceramic004.jpg

PAM1A Posted Today, 02:56 AM

Lani,

thank you very much for these quickies.....they assured me I did the right thing....my TG is on its way since Wednesday

To solve the strap problem.....I saw this problem when the first pics came up on Josh

Thanks for the pictures Lani, great stuff! ^_^

In regards to the watch, it seems to be quite poor in terms of QC, with a very dusty dial, and slightly off lume markers, what with the reported faults in the other TG's, that is not so good.....

Overall I am not convinced this rep is worthy of the high $500+ price, sorry. Certainly the materials used and the AR are very nice, but the fit/quality of the strap and the poor dial just puts me off. If I was going to drop that kind of sum, those issues would have to be resolved first.....

Saying that though, I am sure a thorough cleaning of the dial and a new strap, with a trip to The Zigmeister thrown in, would certainly end up leaving you with a really, really accurate super rep! :D

Wear it well and in good health! :)

Lani-

The only question left unanswered is how those 12, 3,6, and 9 markers look. It drives me nuts on the 3717 that those markers look like someone pasted on blocks of lume rather than elegant markers which taper into the dial (overall lower marker height as well) on the gen. Whaddaya think?

ATB-

Kruz

Hey W ...

I think they did a great job on the ceramic :D !!!!!!!

Like the Black Steel... the dial needs work.. as you surmized .. the "blocks" used for the markers need Ziggy's attention ... then it will be "all good".. or "all great"

elegance is not in the markers until it sees Nova Scotia's lights from the cargo bay B)

@Mickey... you are correct 100 Ma Man... although you cannot see the dust with the naked eye... I was using a lot of verbage (my own word) to describe how I felt... I quit taking dial shots.. in fact dumped all of the ones I took.. granted I could use PS to get rid of the dust... but let's be real.. it is apparent under macro lens .. therefore it is there..

the reality is .. if you want a "Super Rep" .. it is hard to find one out of the box .. but to have the best of all worlds .. mmmmm if only.. it will need some minor work.... but the good news is the ceramic and pushers and crown are spot on.. the dial needs Ziggy fo sure .. the strap issue.. well unless it's a bracelet.. have we ever seen a great strap... other than the SOSF.. being very good ????

as you say .. it will take modding to become a super rep !!

Cheers

Lani

I am sure that in the coming months this very same watch will be shown here on RWG in a very different light ;):D

My eyesight is like an eagle like when it comes to dial/hand marks, I have really good "close" vision, so those kind of specs would stick out like a sore thumb for me :(

It seems the thought of this rep arriving, was a greater excitement for me than it's actual arrival, I guess I am spoilt what with all the exceptional Breitlings we have been seeing of late....

And you are right, they can do great steel bracelets and rubber straps, but throw in a bit of leather or some stitching, and they lose the plot :lol:

Cheers! B)

I am sure that in the coming months this very same watch will be shown here on RWG in a very different light ;):D

My eyesight is like an eagle like when it comes to dial/hand marks, I have really good "close" vision, so those kind of specs would stick out like a sore thumb for me :(

It seems the thought of this rep arriving, was a greater excitement for me than it's actual arrival, I guess I am spoilt what with all the exceptional Breitlings we have been seeing of late....

And you are right, they can do great steel bracelets and rubber straps, but throw in a bit of leather or some stitching, and they lose the plot :lol:

Cheers! B)

Believe me MP.. I will not even bring it our until I 'CLEAN' the dial first ... it's like looking at mold.. :yuk: .. i cannot really see it with the naked eye.. but knowing it will show up on the macros.. shooooooot !!!!!!!!!

it is a shame...... like wearing a nice suit with a defectively sewn Dress shirt .. one sleeve longer than the other.. buttons misaligned :Jumpy: .. is the comparison to GZ's straps

Believe me MP.. I will not even bring it our until I 'CLEAN' the dial first ... it's like looking at mold.. :yuk: .. i cannot really see it with the naked eye.. but knowing it will show up on the macros.. shooooooot !!!!!!!!!

it is a shame...... like wearing a nice suit with a defectively sewn Dress shirt .. one sleeve longer than the other.. buttons misaligned :Jumpy: .. is the comparison to GZ's straps

I am the same, any marks on the dial can kill off a watch for me, unless I can clean them off somehow.....

:lol: @ the suit compare, maybe you just described a few of our rep dealers there? :p

@kruzer.... the markers you are referring to are actually enabled with what looks like the two sided tape.. (no joke)... I'm skipping my training today.. (first time in months)... I was actually nodding out in front of my lap top .. whilst drinking coffee.. so needless to say.. I gotta listen to my bod. .. and use today to clean the dial and let the body recover.. :rolleyes:

Man, the irony of this biz ..... hind sight is 20/20 though... :lol: the case is gorgeous.. the base of the dial.. the finish is like the gen. .. but the markers.. sheesh.. :brow:

Well, I guess it keeps the hobby challenging to say the least.. :whistling:

Ok.. finished cleaning the dial.. and very interesting..

the results:

that was not dust in the common sense that you saw, after using radisco and the blower,.I reinserted the dial and movement .. then to my surprise there was more "dust" when viewed the dial through my loupe.. impossible !!!! .. all the windows are closed the AC is off no draft.. WTF ?

I noticed the "dust" was in line with the minute hand .... yup ...... you guessed it !

the "dust" is a by product of the Lume material.. now I don't want you to think I know lume... but my "guess" would be the "lume dust" is a result of ... I guess my layman's term would be equating it to a bad mix of resin and catalyst (hardener).. as when I repaired surfboards.. the mixture of resin to hardener was key..

so, maybe I got a bad lume batch.. it's all good now, .... but the lume may be brittle and the top layer not cured or hardened ergo.. the lume dust flakes off onto the dial..

so, the dust was not evident when the maker released the watch,... but the dust came (IMO) from the hands after the fact.

btw.. I have the V1 PVD version.. and it looks like the maker used the same dial.. different hands but the markers are the same.. not like the 3717 where the markers were solid blocks.. on this dial the markers without a loupe looks nice.. with the loupe .. you view how it is attached ..

Regardless of all that is said.. it will be taking "The Trip" to the Master of Lume and modding !!!! so all hope is not lost

And I will state: for those who view my reviews as "being in collusion with any dealer" ..... NOT!!!! my dealer knows I calls um likes I sees um.... and will relay these defects to him so he can in turn alert the maker.

also.. if you do remove the movement.. no need to undo the screw tabs.. they are fastened to the case spacer and the whole deal comes right out..

******* DON'T FORGET THE TINY PUSHER INSERTS ON THE SIDE OF THE MOVEMENT.. FOR THE CHRONO PUSHERS.. OR YOU WILL BE ON THE GROUND.. DOING THE 'CARPET PATROL ' THINGI :) and no I didn't forget.. B)

ok moved the hands one full rotation.. and there is a couple of tiny specs again on the dial,.. that only can be seen through a loupe... I hope it's just my rep that is like this.. good luck to those who have it on the way.. if it's any consolation.. it is invisible to the naked eye.. <_<

edit add: I'll post some wrist shots with the Zulu strap.. I cannot find ma PVD'd black.. arrrghhh ..have to use the regular black for now..

This looks great, just ordered one from Angus...I think Lani has the right idea, superlume by Rob. How's the AR, good enough as stock rep or a chief double AR? :victory:

This looks great, just ordered one from Angus...I think Lani has the right idea, superlume by Rob. How's the AR, good enough as stock rep or a chief double AR? :victory:

Chief !!!!!!! All the way .... !!!!!, I think I can make his upcoming run !!.. then off to Ziggy !!

and I stand corrected , this is not the same dial as the V1 .. after putting them side by side this is a brand new dial.. the finish is 100 times better and the font size like the genuine on the Ceramic !!

F*ZZ Posted Today, 02:55 PM

so would alerting the dealers before buying this watch resolve the lume dust issue?

would i get a clean dial if i did that?!

already done.. Joshua will inform the Maker .. but hopefully it is an isolated issue with my rep .. I hope so :)

the "dust" is a by product of the Lume material.. .. they are fastened to the case spacer and the whole deal comes

This happened to me with my Cousteau Diver. I remember people complaining about dust on the dial as a problem with this...and I concluded after cleaning 2x, that it came from the big lume application on the rotating bezel. A trip to The Zigmeister...and the problem of course is fixed.

This happened to me with my Cousteau Diver. I remember people complaining about dust on the dial as a problem with this...and I concluded after cleaning 2x, that it came from the big lume application on the rotating bezel. A trip to Ziggy...and the problem of course is fixed.

did you post pics ?? if this was mentioned before , I must have missed the thread,.. regardless, at least now I know where all the "dust" comes from B)

Nice aquisition Lani. I'm sure you'll work out the dust issue in no time. I just got an IWC Spitfire so I'm only a couple of years behind you... B)

Later,

w

let me know if you want a Chief Ar'd crystal to go into your Spitfire .... I may be able to work out a swap with your existing crystal.. you would not believe the "invisible" quality of Chiefs xtal.. it is by far better than any genuine article..

there is a HUGE Problem with chiefs crystal in your watch though... edit add:.. gotta crash.. talk later..

.You won't be able to stop looking at it ... to admire it.. so don't wear it whislt driving :rolleyes:

let me know if you want a Chief Ar'd crystal to go into your Spitfire .... I may be able to work out a swap with your existing crystal.. you would not believe the "invisible" quality of Chiefs xtal.. it is by far better than any genuine article..

there is a HUGE Problem with chiefs crystal in your watch though... edit add:.. gotta crash.. talk later..

.You won't be able to stop looking at it ... to admire it.. so don't wear it whislt driving :rolleyes:

That would be awesome. I love the watch, and I was already thinking about getting this done somehow (since the AR on my watch is a tad yellow in my opinion), but being such a noob, I'm not sure of the details to be worked out.

• 3 months later...

Did you ever get it relumed? Is it possible to correct the dial's marker imperfections by a relume from a professional ?

It looks a great watch and would have passed me by until I saw this and realised it's ceramic and titanium :(

No i don't have it...

Did you ever get it relumed? Is it possible to correct the dial's marker imperfections by a relume from a professional ?

It looks a great watch and would have passed me by until I saw this and realised it's ceramic and titanium :(

No i don't have it...

I'm still so damn tempted to get this too, mate... :wub:

No i don't have it...

The markers are the same as the 3717 (glued on blocks) .,. so yes they can be removed and relumed.. I would say it is a must... same as the 3717 eventually you will want it done properly :)

coolfire Posted Today, 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Chronus @ Jun 19 2009, 03:01 AM)

I'm still so damn tempted to get this too, mate...

J,.. I'm really surprised it's not part of your collection.. ;)