When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aft~AR (after) Chiefs AR

lanikai

Much has been said about AR (antireflective) coating .. the very high tech AR is used by the Armed Forces for such components as over head screens in fighter jets and tanks etc.

It is used also, (as you know) on Luxury watch brands ... it's to the point where AR coating is just as important to the buyer (US :) ) as any other spec..

This post is mainly for all the new members that have come on board that have not experienced what I am about to compare (first hand).. and for the Vets.. I hope you enjoy the images.. as we all know the best AR is offered by RWG's Chief (Bulldog) Tang.. some like the blue tint on the genuine and rep crystals.. but for pure dial love .. well, nuff said... the images will tell the "Tale of the Tape" B)

I thought it would be a waste not to do this since I am rotating Chiefs AR'd xtals and sending the ones I just removed for his current run

the only word that I can use to describe Chiefs AR Coating is : MAGIC .. :o

View The Magic

Factory AR .. the second pic has a little more light on the watch .. notice how the crystal is still reflecting it's light onto the dial,.. distorting the colour of the dial.

iwccomparisonshiefs001.jpg

iwccomparisonshiefs002.jpg

After swapping the factory crystal with CT's

Coffee ~ Chocolate .. this is what the dial is meant to look like, and yes there is a xtal on the case!!

iwccomparisonshiefs007.jpg

The dial is a little blurred , I wasn't focusing on the dial.. I purposely smudged the dial to illustrate that there is actually a crystal in place, so my focus on low F# is on the crystal.. I had to do a manual.. the auto setting was getting confused .. it could not find the crystal

iwccomparisonshiefs020.jpg

it's not the full on sunlight outside that has the most reflection.. but the light that enters at an angle through say.. the window.. and this is maxed out light on the watch !

iwccomparisonshiefs003.jpg

Not enough? .. How bout Blue

Factory AR..

iwccomparisonshiefs009.jpg

Here's that unsightly Lume dust.. I realized from the IWC Ceramic dial that what I alway's thought was sloppy handling from the factory is actually the lume flaking off the hands.. thsi was not present a year ago.. you would think that some sort of sealer could be applied.. but regardless,. I now know that these specs are a result of the factory lume. .. but back on point .. the light is intense..

iwccomparisonshiefs010.jpg

Ready????

Taadddaaaa B)

Cleaned the dial and hands .. no Photo shop Tricks.. no nothing except the same angle and light, some lume dust fell again.. oh well, can't have it all .. until it goes to Ziggy that is :D

iwccomparisonshiefs013.jpg

iwccomparisonshiefs012.jpg

Now that's BLUE ~ Pure Dial Love

:wub: .. without the distraction of "Glare"

iwccomparisonshiefs017.jpg

As a side,.. I posted this also without Chiefs knowledge... 2 of IMO the best "Old School" members are the usual targets for either jealous members that want to "be them" .. I believe you know the the other member of whom I speak, hint .. (Horology)..... people who only "wish" they could be as knowledgable and talented, as RWG's Horological genius... and the top AR service.. bar none.. at least in the "known" Universe..

So if you are new here... be advised.. there are no words that could convey the quality of the modders and our Horologist here .. so stay with RWG... learn as I am trying to do.. and "Believe" RWG is the very best in all aspects.. and more than just watches :D

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Thanks for posting these great comparison pics

I have experienced the magic first hand and have spoken his praises but never was able to

Accurately photograph the difference

Your pictures to an excellent job but in person it is even more

Dramatic

Cheers

rogerthat

Thanks for the kind words lani! The most satisfying part of doing this is seeing the "after" pics! It never gets old!!

Those "kind words" have been Earned .. these are the crystals from 2 runs ago.. so the 2 that came out will be going to Cali this week

No BS.. I could not really get a ggod look at the center of the convex.. and put the xtal; in upside down.. it would of been the end of the dial if I left it like that... some of the draw backs from an "invisible" xtal.. :p

Those "kind words" have been Earned .. these are the crystals from 2 runs ago.. so the 2 that came out will be going to Cali this week

No BS.. I could not really get a ggod look at the center of the convex.. and put the xtal; in upside down.. it would of been the end of the dial if I left it like that... some of the draw backs from an "invisible" xtal.. :p

Haha I almost put one of mine on upside down once too!!

As a side,.. I posted this also without Chiefs knowledge... 2 of IMO the best "Old School" members are the usual targets for either jealous members that want to "be them" .. I believe you know the the other member of whom I speak, hint .. (Horology)..... people who only "wish" they could be as knowledgable and talented, as RWG's Horological genius... and the top AR service.. bar none.. at least in the "known" Universe..

This is why I love you man. So passionate. And you rib me for being so passionate about my experiences... :whistling:

But I must confess, I don't know who is "targeting" Chief and Rob? I must have missed something. I'll have to call you later and get the scoop.

PS: I'm still waiting for the answer on the group shot and my proposition, but I found out Nicholas Nickolas closed a few years ago. How about the place that replcaced it, any good? Or how about Restaurant Row? Still there? Used to be two other favs of mine there called Black Orchid and Baci? I suppose those are gone now too? :drinks:

This is why I love you man. So passionate. And you rib me for being so passionate about my experiences... :whistling:

But I must confess, I don't know who is "targeting" Chief and Rob? I must have missed something. I'll have to call you later and get the scoop.

PS: I'm still waiting for the answer on the group shot and my proposition, but I found out Nicholas Nickolas closed a few years ago. How about the place that replcaced it, any good? Or how about Restaurant Row? Still there? Used to be two other favs of mine there called Black Orchid and Baci? I suppose those are gone now too? :drinks:

Just the usual... ongoing.. "when your number 1" from time to time people take Pot shots .. comes with being the best ..IMO

You must of seen me in "Black Orchid" .. I had the "Speed Well",.. or "Lead" as we used to say.. synoymous with the fastest "Mechanic".. ran 6 to 8 waitress's.. Dang !!.. remember those babes in their Playboy like tuxedo tops .. V Cut french net stockings... those were the day';s .. we worked hard and partied harder... ahh.. the Row Bar!! !!! Man the stories I could tell,... but then again you know the gang I ran with ... since You giged at the place up the street from me .. I managed the Shorebird too .. B) Yah ?!!!.. the Sunday World Famous Bikini Contests.. Man gotta stop .. I am really missing those day's of Tequila,.. Body Building Shows... and WOMEN oozing outta everything.. I miss those day's.. :(

unless i'm losing my mind, looks like someone AR coated a SSD :g::tu:

me likey :wub:

deltatahoe

since Chiefs AR is pretty much colourless with this colour dial.. it brings out the dial 100

Edit add:.. I would have thought that too DT.. if it weren't mine..the SSD really does look AR'd now that I look at it..:)

poandsmpchrono019.jpg

CT hands down has the best AR, we're very lucky to have a member like Brian offering his time and service to the family ofRWG members...one of the reasons why I call this place home. :victory:

Nice work Lani (& Chief). :good:

This is the type of info that makes RWG so useful.

thank you freddy.. Chiefs Ar'd xtals makes imaging easy and FUN

if your new here.... get on the next run.. chief will never dissapoint !! .. you'll not find his quality on any genuine brand ~ yet B) what other xtal has his anti reflecting capabilities ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just the usual... ongoing.. "when your number 1" from time to time people take Pot shots .. comes with being the best ..IMO

You must of seen me in "Black Orchid" .. I had the "Speed Well",.. or "Lead" as we used to say.. synoymous with the fastest "Mechanic".. ran 6 to 8 waitress's.. Dang !!.. remember those babes in their Playboy like tuxedo tops .. V Cut french net stockings... those were the day';s .. we worked hard and partied harder... ahh.. the Row Bar!! !!! Man the stories I could tell,... but then again you know the gang I ran with ... since You giged at the place up the street from me .. I managed the Shorebird too .. B) Yah ?!!!.. the Sunday World Famous Bikini Contests.. Man gotta stop .. I am really missing those day's of Tequila,.. Body Building Shows... and WOMEN oozing outta everything.. I miss those day's.. :(

Yeah, man that bar was great! Wow! We would go there after rehearsals a lot on Friday nights. It was so happening and the hottest women were hanging from the rafters. If you left there with less than two you were having a really bad night. I'm certain that place was the catalyst for more menage a' trois than anywhere in the country. That well had to be the toughest to work in town. I swear I can EXACTLY picture the lead well there like it was yesterday. We would always hang right at that little nook just down from it closest to the door.

Hey didn't Selleck and Menetti buy that place at the tail end of filming PI? I think we are going back to what 87 or 88 now?