When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ulysse Nardin Replicas The Freak

David74

Time after time I randomly search for an Ulysse Nardin replica of The Freak model

Today to my surprise, i dont only found that one sold as rep, but many other at that site

http://www.fashion163.com/Ulysse_Nardin_Fr...tch_020_81.html

Unfortunately the photos are clearly the "original" ones, and the description of the replica is nothingh but a cut and paste from the nardin website

Someone know that seller, or own one of his rep?

thx

David

David,

Think you will find, that whatever you may receive, (if anything), is an extremely poor facsimile of a Freak!

I actually had a look at that site recently, and they certainly won't see my $$.

You need to understand, that the movement in this watch is just plain "different".

It won't be copied, so anything else will be glaringly obvious.

There are quite a few "Freak" fans around here, so if anything ever did surface, I'm sure we will be the 1st to know.

Don't hold your breath.

Offshore

There is really no way for them to ever do it as a working watch. I really can't see how. I suppose they could have a regular Asian movement in there and then glue wheels and jewels onto the single hand to make it look like a movement but I don't see how else...

thanks everybody for the fast and kind answers... I'll save my bucks and I'll stay tuned here on rwg waiting for some good new (btw thx to u all I bought very fine replicas from the dealer you suggested as worth to trust... thank u 4 it as well...)

Edited by David74

There is really no way for them to ever do it as a working watch. I really can't see how. I suppose they could have a regular Asian movement in there and then glue wheels and jewels onto the single hand to make it look like a movement but I don't see how else...

There would still be the winding/time setting part to work out though.

That's such an ugly watch dude and do not buy that rep off that site...

Well, i guess beauty is in the of the beholder. Its an absolutely breathtaking watch, but as earlier stated, it will never be replicated.

The mvmt is simply to complicated. And just imagine all the detailing and finish they would have to pull of.

A receipe for disaster, considering all the details the factories miss out on now.

I'm aware THE FREAK hv a state of the art mechanism, in fact i was googling for a replica of it with the same expectation sometimes i run far to where the rainbow starts to collect my promised gold.. anyhow about other Ulysse Nardin watches owning a Bulova millennium (minute repeater, alarm, perpetual calendar and gmt) not to mention the citizen campanola which didnt bought couse is otragous expensive to be a citizen (while the bulova is affordable as some of the best end reps) I feel the time was ready to hv some outstanding reps of the complicated watches out there, just wear off the darn mechanism of the bulova, or the cheaper citizen minute repeater eco-drive (another affordable option unlike the campanola) and u can get an acceptable rep of some of the nicest Ulysses out there... am I wrong? asking cause I'm a newby here (hv just few reps from Josh) and if u say what i told is a nonsense I'll quit to search and be waiting for such watches just for the peace of my mind

thx

Edited by David74

Well you are talking quartz mechanisms though now and self respecting watch nuts don't go for those so much. No mechanism is going to replicate the Freak though. Maybe the most innovative and unique timepiece ever made.

@JoeyDee - you are never going to "get" that watch if not for the mechanism. If you try and judge its beauty on familiarity you are missing the whole point. It is a marvel, not a treasure. It is funny looking because the watch's mechanical movement also functions as its sole timeteller. There isn't really another aesthetic way to do it. That said, take another look at it and I think you will concur that there really isn't any other way for it to "look"

Oh well as rkdk said - beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

guy lets be serious

I also love mechanism

but I know I wont never be able to own a let say Planetarium of Nardin, not because is impossible to hv it replied mechanically (it is all matter of man-power/time, which chinese got, and them hv to invent nothingh they hv just to copy.. is enough to "order" a watch and send it back couse u didnt liked the "rose gold tone" after them copyed it out (is possible is just matter of time and pacience, my watchsmith can build microscopic wheels when missing by istance, the difficoult thingh was the ingenery part, but to copy I dont say monkeys can do it, but laborious chinese can))

We will never c such watch cause the effort to copy it is not (probabily) worth the return in cash

When there was a clear market desire chinese were able to copy the tourbillon (and I own couple of such watches) just to make an exemple

To come back to my point, I bealive that- speacking of REPLICAS - to have a minute repeater like the circous model, with the little figoures moving on the display, isnt an impossible task when u do it with quartz electric mechanism, the same applyes for The Freak model

when i buy an original i never consider the quartz mechanism, but for a replicas or to hv function i can not possibly afford, quartz is an option, and i bealive i'm not the only one ready to buy quartz ulysses nardin (not couse i love quarrtz, but couse i love those watches)

It has nothing to do with whether they can or not. The fact is movement fabrication is not the same task as is the rest of the watch. Why do you think so many extremely well heeled watch companies use ebauches for most of their so called "in house" creations. Movement design and manufactory is a REALLY big deal. If it weren't why would Patek, Vacheron, AP, Breguet, and countless others use ebauches as a base for most of their releases? ETA, Lemaina, Piguet, JLC, Venus, Zenith, etc. It just isn't practical for a watch company to design and build all the bases they need for their lineup. It is just way to brutal to consider for most.

Neither a monkey or laborious Chinese can just replicate movements. It is not even remotely the same as doing watches. Plus there are no economies of scale. That is why 90% of reps are 7750's, 2836's, or 2824's - with most being 7750's these days. Only because they made one that they figured would cover a lot of ground. Even with the gen 7750 as a guide it was not a minor undertaking for them.

And if you like quarz more power to you. I come at reps from a different angle. I'm not into getting reps of watches I can't afford so I'll take what I can get with any movement. I am also not into flawless replications. I'm just looking for fine mechanical wristwatches. In most cases I buy reps to check them out to see if I like the design enough to add the gen to my collection. We are all a little different in our motivations my friend.

I don't like quartz because to me they represent the "other team" - the threat to the mechanical history in the interest of efficiency. I am in love with mechanical movements and the perfection of them through the ages. I start and end with that and the watch around it is secondary for me. I would rather have a rep of a $500 gen with a mechanical movement than a rep of a million dollar gen which is otherwise perfect but has a battery in it. Defeats the whole purpose for me...

It has nothing to do with whether they can or not. The fact is movement fabrication is not the same task as is the rest of the watch. Why do you think so many extremely well heeled watch companies use ebauches for most of their so called "in house" creations. Movement design and manufactory is a REALLY big deal. If it weren't why would Patek, Vacheron, AP, Breguet, and countless others use ebauches as a base for most of their releases? ETA, Lemaina, Piguet, JLC, Venus, Zenith, etc. It just isn't practical for a watch company to design and build all the bases they need for their lineup. It is just way to brutal to consider for most.

Neither a monkey or laborious Chinese can just replicate movements. It is not even remotely the same as doing watches. Plus there are no economies of scale. That is why 90% of reps are 7750's, 2836's, or 2824's - with most being 7750's these days. Only because they made one that they figured would cover a lot of ground. Even with the gen 7750 as a guide it was not a minor undertaking for them.

And if you like quarz more power to you. I come at reps from a different angle. I'm not into getting reps of watches I can't afford so I'll take what I can get with any movement. I am also not into flawless replications. I'm just looking for fine mechanical wristwatches. In most cases I buy reps to check them out to see if I like the design enough to add the gen to my collection. We are all a little different in our motivations my friend.

I don't like quartz because to me they represent the "other team" - the threat to the mechanical history in the interest of efficiency. I am in love with mechanical movements and the perfection of them through the ages. I start and end with that and the watch around it is secondary for me. I would rather have a rep of a $500 gen with a mechanical movement than a rep of a million dollar gen which is otherwise perfect but has a battery in it. Defeats the whole purpose for me...

about ur 1st statament is in my bealive outsourcing applies in any sector just cause is cheaper to make lets say cars part in china or east europe (like fiat alfa etc) cause the man power cost less

about the rest well, u say intelligent thingh so my hat off to u, i will think over what u told and likely i will end agreeing to all u said

rgds

• 2 weeks later...

How'd you guys do that? Looking at the site and knowing that its all scam. (Im very noob)

I've been looking at that site too because i'm trying to find a Gyro Tourbillon 2 Rep - and this site was the only one who had it. Which eventually made me wonder into this fantastic forum to find trusty dealers :)