When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Rolex Daytona

smithy37

Hi,

Can anyone help solve an argument please?

A friend of mine is claiming all new Rolex Daytona's no longer come with a hologram sticker on the case back and no longer have the coronet etched in the crystal at the 6'o'clock position. He claims his source is an AD, but I am sceptical.

Can anyone confirm or deny this and finally put an end to our bickering?

Thanks

<_<

True. The new ones don't have the hologram sticker.

Not 100% sure about the crystal etching but it's possible that they have dropped it too.

Hologram is gone (from all models - replaced by a clear sticker), but crystal etching remains.

Thanks guys. I guess I was half right then!

His friend has bought a 'genuine' Daytona and it doesn't have either. I said it must be a nice replica watch that is probably a ticking time bomb due to the second hand movement. Although his friend vehemently argues it is genuine and he has 'papers' I think the fact it is un-etched prooves it isn't genuine. Papers must be easier to replicate than complicated watch movements!

His friend has bought a 'genuine' Daytona and it doesn't have either. I said it must be a nice replica watch that is probably a ticking time bomb due to the second hand movement. Although his friend vehemently argues it is genuine and he has 'papers' I think the fact it is un-etched prooves it isn't genuine. Papers must be easier to replicate than complicated watch movements!

It depends if he bought it used or not. A pre-owned Daytona might have had the original crystal replaced with an un-etched aftermarket one. Heck...it could have have had everything replaced with cheaper aftermarket parts...like the reverse of people taking a rep base, and adding gen parts to make an uber-Frankentona.

Who cares really...if the friends says it's real...let it go...move on. If you're into having a conversation on connoisseurship...then you gotta pull out your encyclopedia of details and facts!!

yes..no more hologram.

why are you calling people out? if people say its gen, let them be.

I just picked up a GMTIIC gen it had no hologram and no etching. I'm sure as hell it's real. Rolex holograms are a joke anyway. The only time holograms were cool was 20 years ago back in '89 when Upper Deck put them on all their baseball cards as an anti-copy device.

I mean if someone told me it is real then I am not gonna go out of my way looking for flaws. I just believe them, assume its real and let them be.

even if I saw a bad rep and the person say its real. I just keep my mouth shut. If it makes them happy lying to people, then they should do whatever makes them happy.

Edited by arrowax

Just to add to the conversation....

Three years ago my father bought a solid gold Sub for about 13k in Boca Raton FL -- gently used of course. Since then he has replaced the crystal twice because he's very rough on it. There was never a sticker on it from day one - stickers, holograms, etchings, accurate crown guards etc., mean squat. The only thing that really matters is if you enjoy wearing the watch - the heck with what someone else thinks. I have a 14k Hamilton I bought a couple years ago for a whopping $275.00. I like it better than my Gen GMT that my dad gave me as a gift. ( Never liked that Pepsi bezel. LOL)