When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Input needed on transaction from here on RWG

grilly

Guys,

Honest question and I may be freaking out a little, but I'm a little nervous about a transaction I made this week and I need some advice. I purchased my first nice, fairly expensive watch here on Tuesday from a Platinum member. I was told the watch would ship from outside the Conus on Wednesday and that tracking would be provided. The last communication with the seller was on Tuesday night stating that the watch would be shipped the next day.

The next day I sent another PM asking if the tracking info was available. I never heard anything back. Thinking maybe something happened with the PM I sent the same question the next day. I've still heard nothing back.

I sent a PM on Repgeek this morning asking the same thing and I've still heard nothing. On repgeek under the seller's profile it shows that this person has been logged on several times today.

This seller had great ratings on Rep geek and good, although short, seller ratings here on RWG.

Should I be worried or is this normal?

thanks!

Give the person some time. You can't expect the person to devote his life to the transaction and run back immediately to give updates. It's like the Bay...you make your purchase...pay...and wait. Sometimes the package arrives before you hear back from the person...other times it can take a bit of time.

If the person is a long standing member...with good posting history...and maybe some transaction reviews that are good...I would feel confident. Remember...just because they are a platinum member...doesn't mean anything necessarily...all it takes to get this status is $10 USD a month. If you know they got this status because of a significant contribution to the forum...that would make me feel more confident.

Wait until at least Mon/Tues for an update...it's the weekend...maybe they went out of town yesterday after work...and might not be back in town until Tues.

I've waited close to 3 months for stuff to arrive...knowing full well it would arrive because the seller was solid.

Thanks for the responses guys. That makes me feel better.

I guess the combination of my anxiousness and the unreplied PMs sent me in to a bit of a tailspin.

Wait a bit...relax...don't worry about it until some time down the line has passed!! I liken it to this question...if you had a young kid who suddenly got sick and your partner was out of town...would you worry about watches for the weekend...or would you make sure your kid was alright? Obviously the latter...but you would do your best to address other obligations...but only after you've had chance to get past a crisis phase...or an extended weekend plan or whatever.

Wait a bit...relax...don't worry about it until some time down the line has passed!! I liken it to this question...if you had a young kid who suddenly got sick and your partner was out of town...would you worry about watches for the weekend...or would you make sure your kid was alright? Obviously the latter...but you would do your best to address other obligations...but only after you've had chance to get past a crisis phase...or an extended weekend plan or whatever.

Yea, I hear ya. I do have a little one and I would probably be away from the computer for a while.

The only thing that threw me off was that both this site and RG show that the seller has been logged on every day this week.

Still though, I'm going to chill.

The way I see it:

When the buyer has sent the money, it's good manners to

1. Send a PM back about the funds received

2. Send the buyer instant information when the watch has been shipped (preferably with the tracking number)

3. Reply to any further questions about the watch.

Everyone have 2 minutes a day to keep the buyer happy, and create him a peaceful feeling about the transaction.

If you look at all the good and consistent dealers in the forum (Precious Time, Joshua, BK etc.) they always reply to their customers' questions. And they sell a LOT of watches and have a LOT of customers. Everyone can handle the communication of just 1 or 2 transactions easily.

If you (for some reason) can't handle the communication due to a business trip, etc. you should inform the buyer about this beforehand.

If it has been 48 hours since you were promised a tracking number, I would PM the seller via RG or whatever site you made the transaction through. Give it another 24 hours &, then, if you still do not receive a response, I would find 1 of his recent public posts & post a reply to his post saying ONLY 'PM sent. Please check your mail.'. Give him another 24 hours to reply & then contact 1 of the Mods on that site to get their opinion if you do not receive an appropriate response from the seller.

Most likely, everything will work out. But I am less willing to forgive slow sellers when I am quick in sending payment.

@Freddy,

:thumbs: Agreed.

The logged on scenario on both sites is a little disturbing, and Plat status is bought, not earned!

A solid history is what speaks volumes.

@Toad,

I've waited close to 3 months for stuff to arrive...knowing full well it would arrive because the seller was solid.

Anyone we know? :rolleyes:

O/S

Anyone we know? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

lol, I thought the same thing when I read BT's post;

2. Send the buyer instant information when the watch has been shipped (preferably with the tracking number)

There are two ways to learn from an example; "Follow it" or "Not follow it".................. :)

I'm sure you will get your watch in good order 'grilly', but can empathise with your situation.

Personally speaking, as a seller, putting you through this would wear on me. I have only sold two watches. On the first, the payment and watch shipping were arranged the same day. The payment came through sooner than delivery of the watch. The piece was sent merely 'registered/insured', so confirmation of delivery, not 'tracking' was provided. It took two full weeks for the watch to reach New Hampshire from Florida. I don't know why. It was agonising. The buyer was completely understanding, but that seemed to make it worse! The watch arrived. On the second, I insisted the watch reach it's destination before payment was arranged. I'd rather get burned for $100-$200-$300 than be branded or even mused for a moment; a 'scammer'.

Pics please!

Just as an update. I have heard back from the seller and feel comfortable that I'm in good hands. The reasoning behind the lack of response to PMs was understandable.

I guess the message behind this for folks that may encounter this in the future is that you have to gauge the situation by how you feel. I honestly feel that my seller and I were on different terms as far as what we expected in communication. The sellers that I have bought from before have responded immediately to all PMs and that makes the buyer feel much better about the buy.

I had come to expect that as a fairly new member, but that is not how every transaction works.

I think that anyone searching this issue in the future, both buyer and seller, should realize that communication is the key to both a great community for us to sell pieces of our collection and a place where new members can feel comfortable spending their hard earned money on a quality rep.

Guest SliceMaster
The way I see it:

When the buyer has sent the money, it's good manners to

Everyone have 2 minutes a day to keep the buyer happy, and create him a peaceful feeling about the transaction.

If you look at all the good and consistent dealers in the forum (Precious Time, Joshua, BK etc.) they always reply to their customers' questions. And they sell a LOT of watches and have a LOT of customers. Everyone can handle the communication of just 1 or 2 transactions easily.

If you (for some reason) can't handle the communication due to a business trip, etc. you should inform the buyer about this beforehand.

I totally agree with you here By-Tor!!!

Some sellers, both dealers and members seem to think that once they got your money they dont have too keep the buyer updated, very poor businessmanners IMO!!!

As you say everyone has the time to tell the buyer whats happening, if they dont then they shouldnt get involved in selling in the first place.

I