When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Opinion

scotty

I've been discussing a possible watch purchase with a dealer called Polo.

For whatever reason, they sent me pics of a new movement they have lined up - claimed Swiss ETA 2836-2 with red wheels and Rolex logo.

They asked me to get feedback from people on their views of the movement.....so this is like a favour.

Here's what they sent me....

post-3909-1237368304_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237368311_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237368324_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237368333_thumb.jpg

I'll pass on people's comments, unless you guys already know Polo, in which case you can probably best feedback directly.

BTW - I'm not trying to promote this dealer in ANY way. I've never bought off them, and was simply in communication over items.

I don't know why they asked me to get people's feedback on this movement so like I say - treat it like a favour, that's all.

Cheers all.

Interesting. It appears to be a 2836-2, but I would think it's a copy movement. You know ETA is not going to produce something like this and can't legally do so. Of course, I've never worried about the movement looking like a Rolex movement- I'm more concerned about the reliability of a movement in a rep.

I wouldn't want to pay extra for something like this because I'm not out to deceive anyone.

This is the 3rd of 4th time in the past several years I have seen someone fit 'red' wheels onto a horsecart & try to call it a Mercedes...........or, in this case, a Rolex.

As was already mentioned, Rolex does not use see-through casebacks & it seems to me that if you want a movement that looks like a gen, then you ought to go all the way & clone the gen movement - plates, bridges, wheels & all. Engraving a few Rolex-style words (using the wrong font) on ETA bridges does not strike me as progress of any kind.

This is the 3rd of 4th time in the past several years I have seen someone fit 'red' wheels onto a horsecart & try to call it a Mercedes...........or, in this case, a Rolex.

As was already mentioned, Rolex does not use see-through casebacks & it seems to me that if you want a movement that looks like a gen, then you ought to go all the way & clone the gen movement - plates, bridges, wheels & all. Engraving a few Rolex-style words (using the wrong font) on ETA bridges does not strike me as progress of any kind.

+1!

Of course it's just a put up job.

But we wouldn't here today discussing rep watches unless someone did the original put up job.

Someone took a risk and trotted out something.

Don't just write off stuff like this without realizing that someone is trying to raise the bar.

Any of us here can pick this thing apart. We are pretty awesome as a watch board.

My hope is that something constructive can come from things like this.

Carl

Of course it's just a put up job.

But we wouldn't here today discussing rep watches unless someone did the original put up job.

Someone took a risk and trotted out something.

Don't just write off stuff like this without realizing that someone is trying to raise the bar.

Any of us here can pick this thing apart. We are pretty awesome as a watch board.

My hope is that something constructive can come from things like this.

Carl

Thanks for that Carl.

The thread was heading towards simply rubbishing the dealers effort.

OK - Rolexes are closed case backs.

But this was a dealer asking for feedback, towards improving their product.

That's positive from their side, no?

Certainly, we appreciate their efforts for improvement. But what I personally would like is more effort to improve the outside appearance of the watch. All I really want in the inside is a dependable work horse.

The important focus is on the outside of the case- what does the watch look like on the outside- case, dial, hands, etc. That and a good, dependable movement and you've got a great rep- open the case and all bets are off. No serious watch person will ever be fooled by this quasi-Rolex movement. And hopefully the majority of us aren't out to deceive anyone beyond basic appearances. I'm not out to scam anyone, but I enjoy reps.