When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD what colour is the bezel numbering.?

millertime

Hi All....

Right, first off im a bit of a noob... well total noob really..!!

But i thought it was about time i put a proper post in .. Not like my first.." where to buy X -Y and Z watches from.?" Which by the way Toad, thanks for not grilling me to hard and pointing me towards your noob guide...Top reading.!

So since sining up ive pulled the trigger and got myself a:-

Pam 212 1950 flyback from ruby

bell & ross from house of souvenirs (not on your lists, but a good service, one of the watches i ordered didn't arrive (a uboat) and Lawrence refunded my money straight away no charges)

And a V3 Dssd from Andrew.... Which is what this is all about.!

So Getting back on track,

Since getting the watch, (which is fantastic!) ive always thought the numbering on the bezel is a bit thin/wrong colour.. And ive read a fair bit about it all with various opinions , and a couple of fantastic modding tutorials.!

some say it should be painted with metallic bright silver spray paint (http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=48467&highlight=dssd+paint+mod)

Some say it should be painted with flat white enamel modeling paint (http://www.rwg.cc/members/To-Moddifying-Rolex-D-t94391.html)

Now ive looked through tonnes of pics on the web, and depending on lighting, angle and no dought photoshop there's a fair case for the silver the white and the grayish tint it is already.!

Short from moseying down my local dealers and holding them side by side .. which im sure would go down like a lead balloon..! i'm a bit stuck on which way to go :-

A- Leave well alone.!

B- flat white enamel modeling paint

C- metallic bright silver spray paint

Here's some or the pics ive found to support each case.! (by the way how do you attach pics to look full page , on all the posts i read.?)

Looks Silvery

post-20256-1237716941_thumb.jpg

Looks Grayish

post-20256-1237716957_thumb.jpg

Looks White

post-20256-1237716968_thumb.jpg

Looks Photo shopped (could be anything!)

post-20256-1237716983_thumb.jpg

My one (should i leave well alone.!)

post-20256-1237716996_thumb.jpg

Some advice from the pro's out there or someone who has held them side by side (gen and Rep)

On which way to go...!!

Thanks Alot.. Really enjoy the forum.!

Cheers, Millertime.!

Edited by millertime

I went to my local craft store to pick up some supplies to do the v3 to v4 conversion as well as some leather tools. Got everything I needed, but they didnt have any testors flat white paint so I picked up some light metallic silver acrylic paint that looks a lot like the a bit brighter than the silver on my v3, and definitely not as white as like the one in geo's tutorial.

I'll take pics tonight before and after. I wouldve done it here at work, but didnt think that cracking open a bottle of nail polish remover here would be the best of ideas.

Alright guys! I've seen so many post all over about painting jobs on their DSSD Bezels that I decided and do it......and I didn't even have to buy the paint (and BTW: this can of paint is like 2 years old :D) ....I just grab the only white spray paint I have in the garage and did it. I used an old watercolor paint brush and trimmed it doe to about 10 hairs and apply 3 coatings.....I mean, apply 1 coat, have it dry and then cleaned by slowly stripping the excess dry paint with a plastic scraper and then clean it up with a dab of mineral spirits on a cotton bud and then rinse it in soap and warm water with a very soft bristle tooth brush .....repeated 3 times. So here goes, tell me what you think!

First, the before:

dssd3.jpg

and After (I purposely left an arrow effect @ the 9 marker as my signature! :thumbsupsmileyanim: ):

dssdbezelpaintd.jpg

Close-up of the 30Sec.

dssdbezelpainta.jpg

Front:

dssdbezelpaintc.jpg

dssdbezelpaintb.jpg

15Sec side:

dssdbezelpainte.jpg

and the DSSD and paint:

dssdbezelpaint.jpg

I painted mine with the silver metallic paint last night. It's actually called 'platinum'. I didnt get the pop I wouldve achieved with white paint, but instead of using white, I have decided not to mess with it anymore. I did not like the way the paint around the pearl turned out and I know that white would accentuate the DIY-ness of it more.

HikeUSA,

nice paint job.

did you replace your pearl?

how did you get it centered?

thanks

Thanks, and Nope! Pearl is AS/IS! Centered? on the triangle on the bezel? It was centered AS/IS! If you mean lined up with the 12 on the Dial,

the bezel insert fell off and I had to re-glue it, so I aligned it meself!

BTW: Does your DEEPSEA lume on the 2 and 4 don't emit as much luminosity as the rest of the markers? Mine seem to be less bright as the rest of them that it

looks wierd in the dark!

Cheers!

I notice that, but chrom plating on a Pearl???? Pls educate me?

Well the pearl is made up from two parts. Usually metal which is formed like a small cup and lume (applied in the cup). Sometimes they use copper (chrome plated) instead of metal because it's cheaper. When using abressives or other chemicals one can accidently remove the chrome palting and thus exposing the ugly copper....

Been keepin my eyes peeled on the net for close ups of DSSD bezels .. most of the manufacturers pics are photoshoped to hell and back so its hard to tell... but i found this one for sale on the luxury watch exchange.. looks gen with the beveling around the date window.. so i thought it would give us all a good idea of the color of the bezel number points .... What do you reccon.. looks very similar to how its sent out from our dealers, in color not thickness.

post-20256-1238007146_thumb.jpg

Oh and anyone... how do you post full size pic's instead of the annoying reduced ones..!!

T

hikeUSA,

nope, my lume markers lumes evenly.

the hands and pearl are much bluer though

my pearl was not centered on the triangle, i had to shave off a bit of the pearl mounting to get it centered

btw, my pearl is not chromed, if it was, the copper would have shown when i shaved a bit off its mounting

thanks

According to Rolex USA, the painted engraving on the insert does contain a powdered platinum...

3371203088_98127dee88_b.jpg

...but the gen doesn't appear to have any metallic proprieties to it. It definitely appears flat white in photos & in person:

3371943424_1a95401f90_b.jpg

3283552661_0d4bb2b539_b.jpg

Edited by gioarmani