When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My franken sub project

CJT74

Some of you might remember my thread about a 3035 caliber in a rep case here.. http://www.rwg.cc/members/Gen-3035-movemen...-ca-t93612.html

Well I am just about done with this thing. Here is where I am at.

Gen 3035 movement

Gen 16613 dial

Gen 16613 hands

Gen 18K crown

Aftermarket solid 18K bezel and instert

Aftermarket solid 18K/SS bracelet with MBK clasp showing all rlx markings

MBK case, I removed the engraving and drilled the lug holes. (this case had engraved rehaut and no lug holes)

This thing is freakin beautiful! And heavy...136 grams! The lume on the gen dial and hands is awsome. I did order the V3 case from Eurotimez and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I may end up using that case and crystal because I made a tiny chip in this crystal which is barely noticable at 10 o-clock.

The only thing that looks off a bit is the crown position but its close. We will see if the V3 case is any better.

All said and done? About $2700.00 which includes the V3 case but not the initial cost of the complete rep which I can put together once the V3 case arrives.

Tell me what you think. I hope my pictures are better this time.

post-16052-1237940142_thumb.jpg

post-16052-1237940156_thumb.jpg

post-16052-1237940171_thumb.jpg

post-16052-1237940182_thumb.jpg

post-16052-1237940201_thumb.jpg

post-16052-1237940256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks beautiful & I am much better with vintage steel watches, but is that model supposed to have lug holes & a white date wheel?

As far as I know yes. The 3035 movement was made until 1990 I believe and the "no lug holes" started around 2002. That is the original date wheel that came on the movement. Though for it to look totally correct on the outside it should probably have the chanpaign date wheel. Thats no big deal to change if it really throws the watch off. But I actually like the white wheel, its very easy to see and read.

When I bought this movement I meant to buy the 3135 but I jumped the gun and got the 3035. The only real difference is the date wheel color and font. Plus the crown is turned CCW to move the hands CW. No biggie.

Edited by CJT74

Thanks!

The whole date wheel color thing got me thinking so I did some research and found these on the bay. The first one defintaly has the white date wheel and the same font as mine, I can tell by the 4. So I guess it is accurate as I was going for a late 90s to 2000 model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-SUBMARINER-MENS-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

This one actually looks exactly like my watch, it has a 3035 caliber and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-SUBMARINER-18K-S...%3A1%7C294%3A50

CJT74 - Not to press the point too far, but just so you are aware - I think the 16613 was powered by the later 3135 & your 3035 probably came out of a ss or wg watch, hence the white date wheel. I agree that the white date wheel is slightly easier on the eyes, but Rolex uses champagne datewheels in yellow gold or two-tone cases & white in ss or wg cases.

Yes freddy I know that and I was wondering myself. But I just got done looking at a bunch of TT subs circa 1977-1999 on the bay and many of them have the white wheel and open 6s and 9s. Some were 16808 and some were 16613. It looks like the champaign wheel came out sometime after 1999.

Man this thing holds good time. The time on my computer just hit 12:00 am then I looked at the watch and just as the second hand lined up with the min hand and hour hand at the 12 the date clicked. Then again the ETA movement was pretty good too.

Edited by CJT74

I would take what you find on ebay with 2 huge grains of salt.

Agreed. You really have to be careful. Just because you see one on eBay, does not mean it is 100%. Though it may contain 100% genuine Rolex parts, it could easily be a franken. Also, champagne discs were always for TT and gold models. All the way back to 1570 movements. It was not something that just happened after 1999.

But not to crap on your thread, good job, it looks like it is coming along nicely!

With the 3035 movement, it looks like you are on your way to a nice 16803 Sub. You just need to get yourself a champagne date disc and it is complete. If everything fits together, probably no need to mess with the Euro case.

Here's a nice pic of a gen 16803. c3035 with champagne disc.

1.jpg

Anyone notice something different about the bezel insert?

Blue bezel, silver markers, and 18K pearl. I have the same bezel and dial in my parts drawer. I wonder if it was one of Rolex's transitional oddities?

Damn.....I was hoping to not take this thing apart again to change the wheel. And I really like the white date wheel. But it is what it is. You guys think the date wheel from a gen ETA movement will work on this 3035?

I already paid for the V3 case so its coming. I'll wait until then to mess with the wheel this way I can kill 2 birds at once.

If you like the white wheel, use that. Just be aware that your watch will deviate from spec.

The ETA part will not work on the gen movement (or vice-versa). I would troll ebay in search of a champagne 3035 date wheel. They come up for sale quite often & depending on condition will cost you anywhere from $50 to $200 or so for a NOS part.

One other thing about these cases. I'm not sure if its common on gen TT subs, maybe it is but I never noticed it. The bezel seems to hang over the edge of the case a little to much. Is this normal?

Looking at my gen 14060 the bezel hangs over but not quite this much.

post-16052-1238022328_thumb.jpg

Besides the date wheel colour there's another thing that could be improved: TT subs from before the solid end link era came with a SS clasp. For your model it would be more accurate to use a SS clasp without the plated center part.

Poor CTJ74 you gonna wish you never posted your watch :D Great effort and now it will be greater....

P.

I know the clasp should really be solid SS but its not uncommon for people to have upgraded the clasp or put on an aftermarket band.

I'm not really looking for an identical 16808 TT sub that can be looked over with a magnifying glass. I think its close enough for me even with the white wheel. If anyone ever questions it a look inside the case will be all it takes.

Thanks, I am really enjoying it. For some reason it even feels better. I guess its the weight. There is a signifigant difference in weight between the ETA and 3035 movements. Having all solid 18K gold adds quite a bit as well.

The one thing that I noticed a lot was the sound the rotor makes in a rep. If you twist the watch next to your ear you can hear that weight rotating. That would be the easiest way to tell a rep from a gen even if the rep is modded absolutly perfect. The gen Rolex movements make no noise. Also the clicking of the second hand has a different sound.

All very insignifigant differences I know and only someone that knows reps very well and had the watch in their hand would be able to tell. That being said I really think those ETA movements keep very good time and the ticking hand is very accurate to a gen. One of my friends that is a Rolex nut held the rep watch in his hand and thought nothing of it.

After this project I have quite a bit of parts. I am debating to sell them or keep them for a future rep project. I may want to build a SS sub date for a buddy. This buddy and my wife are the only ones that know I bought a rep. Now this buddy is the only one that knows how much I spent on it. LOL

I have two perfectly working ETA 2832 movements with blue dials plus a couple of cases and various bracelet parts and crowns. I may keep one movement and sell one here and contribute the entire procedes to this site. What is an ETA with blue sub dial and hands worth?