When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally Got Called Out !

Mano74

Guys,

i was at a party last saturday.. my niece her first birthday... so you can imagine how crowded the party was.... relatives from all over...anyways... one of the most memorable moment happend... a cousin came to me telling me hey, nice watch your wearing ( pt's ultimate sub lv ) i said yeah it is... not as the one your wearing but still nice, he has a gen. TT sub for quite a few years now.. always catched a few glimps of it at party's or little get together's, he asked me if he could see it so i showed it to him ( stupid to do i took it off ) that's when the nice part came... maybe he was drunk or something, he gave it back to me and guess what he told me....that's a nice piece your wearing i thought it was a rep. hahahahaha i was shocked.... i wanted to tell him that it's a rep... but then again.. it was my moment so i left it at that..... after reading a lot of story's about being called out... i gotta say, mine was quite positive.... just wanted too share this with you guys...

greetz...

Mano74 :yu:

Often when someone says "I thought your watch might be a rep" that is a tactful way of "I THINK this is a rep" and giving you the option of coming clean. I think you might have missed a hint.

If he handled it, it is doubtful he didn't know it was fake. The sharp edges of a rep bracelet are a dead giveaway to anyone who has a gen.

Often when someone says "I thought your watch might be a rep" that is a tactful way of "I THINK this is a rep" and giving you the option of coming clean. I think you might have missed a hint.

If he handled it, it is doubtful he didn't know it was fake. The sharp edges of a rep bracelet are a dead giveaway to anyone who has a gen.

kanerich,

you may be right....

didn't thought of it that way.... hmmm...

good reason to polish the inside edges of the bracelet with a buffing wheel right off the start--makes the bracelet feel like a gen and much more comfortable.

btw, good story...

Often? This happens a lot where you are?

My point is that often when people bring up something tactfully that didn't need to be said at all, that is their way of saying "I'm on to you." You knew what I meant, don't snipe unnecessarily. Although I realize that is what you do here.

My point is that often when people bring up something tactfully that didn't need to be said at all, that is their way of saying "I'm on to you." You knew what I meant, don't snipe unnecessarily. Although I realize that is what you do here.

:blink:

Um, am I really that annoying? I may have little time for idiots, but I didn't think I was particularly negative, to be honest. Oh well, you live and learn. :animal_rooster:

yeah, he probobly didnt want to be rude and call you out on the spot...

I highly doubt it was his creative way of calling the watch out. Unless he hangs around on these boards he doesn't see the glaring inconsistencies in our current crop of sub reps. People check the ticking of the second hand, the size of the date, and that the bracelet has hollow mid links. If it passes that test then you're okay. If he handed it over, it's likely the guy was checking the overall feel of the watch. Our reps have a great feel of quality. I have handled older gens and they feel about the same (yes the rattly bracelet too). When people here say they handles a gen and it felt much tighter and ricker than their rep it is probably a new gen they have handled. The bracelets and bezels don't stay tight like that for long, unless you baby the watch.

I wore my EL TT on a Regent cruise and must've seen about 2 dozen gens of that watch. A couple people pointed it out and say "hey, great watch" and another actually held his wrist up to mine and said "I've got the same watch - don't you love it?!" Even with the fat winding cown, and single piece sel nobody thought for a second it was a rep.

I say he wasn't called out. Still not a good idea to hand over the watch.

Guys,

i was at a party last saturday.. my niece her first birthday... so you can imagine how crowded the party was.... relatives from all over...anyways... one of the most memorable moment happend... a cousin came to me telling me hey, nice watch your wearing ( pt's ultimate sub lv ) i said yeah it is... not as the one your wearing but still nice, he has a gen. TT sub for quite a few years now.. always catched a few glimps of it at party's or little get together's, he asked me if he could see it so i showed it to him ( stupid to do i took it off ) that's when the nice part came... maybe he was drunk or something, he gave it back to me and guess what he told me....that's a nice piece your wearing i thought it was a rep. hahahahaha i was shocked.... i wanted to tell him that it's a rep... but then again.. it was my moment so i left it at that..... after reading a lot of story's about being called out... i gotta say, mine was quite positive.... just wanted too share this with you guys...

greetz...

Mano74 :yu:

Hey Mano,

Yeah I know... great story!

I think if you have the attitude no one will doubt you're wearing a rep.

Never have someone told me that I'm wearing a pam rep...most of the really fake pams you'll be seeing are the $20 reps bought in Thailand. One that owns a gen does not always notice the flaws & they look at the overall. Here at RWG we learn a lot by reading & I truly think that a lot of settled members can work in an AD shop.

I wore my PVD PAM 28 in Watches of Switzerland (UK stores selling high end stuff) and the manager asked to see it. I had the new cyclops, Jimmy's CG and PAM crown, but the standard datewheel - his only comment was "Oh - it's an A series early watch, you don't see many of them - nice"!!!!!

I wore my EL TT on a Regent cruise and must've seen about 2 dozen gens of that watch. A couple people pointed it out and say "hey, great watch" and another actually held his wrist up to mine and said "I've got the same watch - don't you love it?!" Even with the fat winding cown, and single piece sel nobody thought for a second it was a rep.

I say he wasn't called out. Still not a good idea to hand over the watch.

You may be right (we're both just speculating). Still, I assume you were not closely acquainted with those people on the cruise . . . I don't presume people in general are wearing fakes especially given certain contexts. However, if my brother in law, who I know makes less than $35,000 a year and doesn't save his money, suddenly showed up with a new LV at the next family reunion, I'd be more suspicious.

I feel like there are also two major differences between your story and his -- the other person didn't bring up the subject of replicas. Saying "hey great watch," and "hey great watch, thought it might be a rep" are two pretty different things in my book. Also, you didn't let people handle your watch. Passing the sleeve test is a lot easier.

Edited by kanerich

Maybe in Japan but not in the west IMHO.

It would rather be: "how much did you pay for it".

And even gen owners may not spot good reps with a quick handling if they are not knowledgable with reps.

I think the test was: "if he doesn't take it off, it's a rep otherwise it's a gen"

Confidence is the dead giveaway

Maybe in Japan but not in the west IMHO.

I'm an American who lives in Japan. I understand your misunderstanding but I like to think I understand things in the context of western culture as well, having spent 28 of my 32 years in the US.

I don't really understand the "how much did you pay for it" question as a fishing method though. If someone I didn't know asked me what I paid for my Rolex, I would not think they were suspicious of its provenance, I would think they lacked manners or were angling to mug me. If a friend asked me I'd just assume he wanted to know if I got a good deal. Either way I don't see how that is supposed tactfully hint at the watch being a replica. You might as well ask me where I got it, that wouldn't mean much to me either.

My experience in the West, grasshopper, is actually that it is MORE rude to ask people what their possessions cost them than is the case in Asia, where (again, in my personal experience) people are more blunt about asking what your house, car, shoes whatever are worth. My relatives on my wife's side even asked me how much I paid for her engagement ring. If it is common for Americans to pry in this manner I am thankful to say I have not kept such company.

I must say that it is still my belief that you own a gen Rolex I think chances are good you would notice a rep oyster bracelet, it's pretty much the first thing I noticed as the gen is notably silkier and free of sharp edges, especially the clasp. It only looks as sharp-edged as the rep bracelet. But again that's just my opinion to so there's no real way of saying conclusively.

Edited by kanerich

Damn boy your avatar makes me puke everytime.... :bleh: