When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trip Across The Pond...almost :(

Nebakanezzar

Hey all,

So...my company might need someone to transport a package from San Fran to London (dont know why a courier wont do). Anyway, if they do, I am at the top of the list to go. it would be a "no fanfare" fly there drop off package, turn around and fly back. I might be able to weasle 2 days to tour London.

So, I have never been there before, and I am wondering (If I get to go) what are the top 5-10 must see/do things in London?

thanx

***UPDATE***

OMG! What a week!

It was one of those “everything that could go wrong, did go wrong” weeks.

So, I was scheduled to go to London on Sunday to hand deliver a $15 million dollar grant application. We planned to print the application in house, and than send it to Kinko’s for binding. We have a really old/crappy/slow color laser printer, so last week we ordered a top of the line 3k +/- HP color laser-jet for next day delivery. The place we bought it from messed up and sent it ground, so it didn’t show up until Friday…and when we got it, it was broke. Called HP support, and they said they would have to send a technician to fix it, but wouldn’t have one available until Monday. Called around to printer repair places, and they told us the printer we got was so new, they didn’t know how to fix it. So now, everyone had been literally working 18 hours a day since Wednesday to get this finished, and we were trying to get it all printed on our crappy old printer.

OK, so I was booked on a United 1pm flight for Sunday. So around 11am we realize we won’t be done so I have to get a later flight. So I cancel the United and book a British Air flight for 4pm. 3pm rolls around and we still are not done, so I have to call and get a later flight, thing is, I had checked in online, and because it was so close to the departure time, the only way for me to change it was to go to the airport in person. So we decide, I go to the airport and handle the flight change, and they will meet me with the application…oh, so somewhere around here our crappy printer crapped out, so what was left was taken to Kinko’s to be printed…So I am off to the airport, waiting in line, and I get a call…all our work was done on Mac, and Kinko’s only had PC, so all the formatting was messed up.

So, bottom line, I am exhausted, and no trip across the pond. :(

Edited by Nebakanezzar

Well, I lived there for 4 years and just went back two weeks ago. Obviously theres things as Buckingham Palace and Big Ben, however, buy The Lonely Planet travel book and you'll be set. This book will be useful for ever and if you have friends ever going (or if you decide to go again for a real trip, which I'm sure you will, London is great) then you've got the resource.

Hope I helped.

Obviously it depends what your interests are. I'd also consider

Westminster Abbey

Tower of London (and Tower Bridge)

British Museum

the big ferris wheel (forget what it is called, but it is supposed to have spectacular views of the city)

My wife and I arrive in London from the US on Tuesday, but we're only staying a day before moving on.

Enjoy.

Take the ferry to Greenwich, a 4.5 mile trip down the Thames.

This ferry affords you a different view of London along the way - I was amazed and quite impressed at the range of interesting architecture along the riverbank.

Then go to the Museum of Space & Time at the Greenwich Observatory, its sorta grade schoolish but very cool.

If you do go, wear a GMT, this is where GMT starts.

Definately worth it.

Why not....

Dum da dum dum, dum da dum dum....ferrrrryyy 'cross the Merseeeyy 'cause this laaannnnd's the place I luuuvv :D

Ken

Gerry and the Pacemakers, I miss those days Ken.

Don't let the sun catch your cryin

I like it

How do you do it

You'll never walk alone

See you in September

Gerry and the Pacemakers, I miss those days Ken.

Don't let the sun catch your cryin

I like it

How do you do it

You'll never walk alone

See you in September

One of my all time favourite bands John :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Obviously it depends what your interests are. I'd also consider

Westminster Abbey

Tower of London (and Tower Bridge)

British Museum

the big ferris wheel (forget what it is called, but it is supposed to have spectacular views of the city)

My wife and I arrive in London from the US on Tuesday, but we're only staying a day before moving on.

Enjoy.

I'd second these suggestions. If you are into museums, then the British Museum is both amazing and free. There are also some excellent art galleries - the National Gallery in Trafalger Square has all the famous impressionists and classical artists - and I think it's free too. The Tate Modern has all your Picassos, Matisses and so on (admission charged).

I never tried the London Eye, but I believe the queues can be quite long and it is very slow, so bear that in mind if you're in a hurry.

Avoid some of the tourist traps - don't pay to go into Buckingham Palace, it's not old and it's not interesting. Madame Tussauds, run away, don't walk.

I'd also add a really nice London pub to the mix as a great experience. Some of the parks in the centre of town are nice for wandering through if you want a quick respite from the bustle.

Hope you land the courier trip!!

Wow, what a week...seems I have been working non-stop....

So anyway, guess who is going to London! Oh yeah!

thanx for all the input guys, I will try to see as many of these things as I can. I will only have two days there, and it seems one of them will have to be in Cambridge..

Looking forward to Bangers and Mash and a Real Guinness!

Edited by Nebakanezzar

Looking forward to Bangers and Mash and a Real Guinness!

Bangers and Mash, you'll find. Real Guinness, you won't.

Real Guinness is made in Dublin, Ireland and isn't exported. It's a creamier and tastier pint than you'll get in London. To be honest though, what you'll get in London will be good, very good in fact, but it'll not be the perfection you can find in Ireland.

May I recommend a Steak and Kidney Pie if you want to try the culinary delights? And, if you have the time, you absolutely, positively have to go to a Curry House. Chicken Madras or Chicken Vindaloo, with rice and a Nan. It'll educate you into what real spicy food is, even if you're used to Mexican.

Bangers and Mash, you'll find. Real Guinness, you won't.

Real Guinness is made in Dublin, Ireland and isn't exported. It's a creamier and tastier pint than you'll get in London. To be honest though, what you'll get in London will be good, very good in fact, but it'll not be the perfection you can find in Ireland.

May I recommend a Steak and Kidney Pie if you want to try the culinary delights? And, if you have the time, you absolutely, positively have to go to a Curry House. Chicken Madras or Chicken Vindaloo, with rice and a Nan. It'll educate you into what real spicy food is, even if you're used to Mexican.

Awe man! are you serious? no real guinness? Bummer!

Is it just the same stuff we get here in the US?

Awe man! are you serious? no real guinness? Bummer!

Is it just the same stuff we get here in the US?

No, it's better. It's not perfection, but it's very good. You will be pleased.

Perfection is in Ireland. It'd be like me going to the US and expecting to get Canadian goods. :D

I used to put myself forward for all the business trips to Ireland when I was in the UK. It got to the point that the delegation waiting for me had a pint ready. At one point they were stopped by security as they weren't allowed to have a tray with a pint of Guinness on it in the actual arrivals area.

Take afternoon tea at the Ritz hotel. Said to be one of the best entertainments in London. You probably need to book. Check it out, here: http://www.theritzlondon.com/tea/

Drink Fullers beer - their "London Pride" is lovely, whilst "ESB" is astonishing.

Take a walk up Bond Street and have a jolly good laugh at the prices being asked for genuine watches.

Pugwash was nearly right... but I think he should have suggested Steak and Kidney Pudding. The pie is good - but the pudding will really stick to your ribs.

Drink Fullers beer - their "London Pride" is lovely, whilst "ESB" is astonishing.

[...]

Pugwash was nearly right... but I think he should have suggested Steak and Kidney Pudding. The pie is good - but the pudding will really stick to your ribs.

:D

Also, Directors Bitter isn't too bad. I mean I'm a northerner and therefore think beer should either be made from north of the Trent or in Ireland, but there are some perfectly acceptable southern bitters. Now, if you want the best, get a Theakston's Old Peculier. Yorkshire Bitter at the top of its game.

5. East Ham or Croydon (ghetto)

If you want Ghetto, go to these areas (or parts of them anyway) Brixton, Stockwell, Dalston, Shepherds Bush.

For fun, go out around Old Street - on the northern line (underground) or on a few bus routes. Good range of eclectic bars, clubs and restaurants.

The boat trip is great - I'd really recommend it if you had the time.

Enjoy!!

Even if you're not into Indian cuisine, I strongly recommend Masala Zone restaurant for some of the finest, freshest, most creative Indian food I've ever had. I believe there are 3 in London, and the pricing is excellent.

Have fun, it's a wonderful city.

.........People around every cornerrr, they seem to stop and sayyyy, we don't care wot yeerr name is boyyy wee'lll never turn you awwaaayyy.........

My wife is of Indian decent, if you see Mutton Briyani in any of those Indian shops...........eat it!

Ken

.........People around every cornerrr, they seem to stop and sayyyy, we don't care wot yeerr name is boyyy wee'lll never turn you awwaaayyy.........

My wife is of Indian decent, if you see Mutton Briyani in any of those Indian shops...........eat it!

Ken

Lamb Biryani? Not spicy enough for me.

If you can handle real spices and chillis (I have been known to chop up 12 chillis and put it in my food if I find it really bad) then go to Brick Lane, and have a lamb Phal... that's the hottest I ever had outside of home, and even had me taking a breath before the next spoonful :bleh:

But I'd love to go back there and have more :o

As for sights to see, what do you want to see? I live in London so you can ask me if you like.

If you are a sporting fan, you may want to see the new Wembley stadium (still under construction) or the newly finished Arsenal stadium (Arsenal station is closed, so you have to walk from Finsbury Park or Holloway station on the Picadilly line - this is on the tube).

London Eye is worth seeing, so is the aquarium if you like that. Albert Hall is in South Kensington along with the Victoria & Albert Museum, Natural History Museum, and Science Museum. One of the best kebab shops in London is also there, it's cramped to eat in but cheap at 6 pounds for a large mixed grill with a coke. The name is Bosphorus and near to the tube station.

Knightsbridge is just down from there so you could go to see Harrods, a lot of tourists seem to do that, and if you want, get some dental work done by our very own finepics ;)

Covent Garden is also a place tourists like to go, and you may also want to go and see some of the bridges like Tower Bridge and London Bridge. The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben (the clock) are nearby if I recall correctly. If you have time go see the Tower of London, and if you end up in East London, you may want to pay for a pub tour of where Jack The Ripper committed his murders.

Eating and so on, try Pasha, a Turkish Kebab Restaurant in Angel Islington, the food is nice enough there. Try Argentinian beef at Gaucho Grill. I think there are quite a few around but go to Hampstead, and it's right by the station. Japanese Kobe beef can be found at Woolfe's which is near to Covent Garden station I think. You can find all types of food around the world here. If you like Chinese food, the obvious place is Chinatown (Leicester Square tube station). I don't know if they are still like that, but Wong Kei's was always infamous for their rude service (cutlery being thrown at you?) but decent enough and cheaply priced food.

If you like clubs and dont want to look around, go somewhere like Onanon which is near Picadilly Circus tube station and is free before 9.30 or 10 and has 3 floors so hopefully you will find something you like. Leicester Square is just down from there and has lots of commercial clubs too. There are quite a few clubs that operate on guest list only that you can book for free over the internet.

Hope that helps a little! :victory:

Edited by Chronus

Ah but you see Chronus it's not about spicy (and my wife makes lot's of those) it's about taste, made the way Maya (my wife) does with yogurt and lemon it is a magnificent dish.

All my friends (most non curry people) fight for an invite if they know Maya is serving Mutton Biryani :)

Ken