When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! My Strap Stinks!

woody

Hmmm, you clearly have an increased sensitivity to odours in this particular case, leather.

This is a result of your olfactory and pheromone receptors becoming hyperactive to your circulating DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) signalling your brain that you are experiencing an unpleasant smell. Very strange, hmmm....

Woody......I think you may be pregnant!!!

:lol:

It's strange... Some of my leather Panerai straps (e.g. my MF Natural) has a very strong scent to it's leather... And, it's at times almost a little... fishy :blink: Not a huge deal... But sometimes it can be a little overbearing...

Randy, not you too?!!!! :blink: Up the duff, bun in the oven, eating for two etc.

Maybe something in your drinking water perhaps? :brow:

Well, Mrs. Ubi and I are expecting little Ubi no.2 at the end of Sept...

Congrats to both of you Randy, wishing you all the best my friend :thumbsupsmileyanim:

At least it proves my theory about sympathy pregnancy - I wonder if Woody also has anything to share? ;)

Back on topic, I remember when I got my first cordovan strap from Drew - the smell just hit me straight out of it's little pouch - after a few weeks' wear, either it wore off or maybe I just became insensitive to it's odour but either way I stopped noticing it.

I will try the sunning technique from sproc. And see if that will help a bit. Think I will keep it in my car in the blazing sun in the next few days. Thanks guys. Congrats on the upcoming new addition as well to you Randy. Doc, I have 4 of Drew's straps, although they are not of the same kind of leather as the Maestro, but none of them smell as strong as that one, so I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that Maestro's was not treated, but it may appeared that I am of the only few that has this Maestro strap, so I guess we can never confirm if it is a Maestro issue or not. Take care.

Uhm... hard to give advice without knowing what smell it is. Maybe you can zip it in a file and post it?

Else, here are two possible take-all solutions:

1) Dip the strap in a vinegar solution. Start with 10% vinegar and 90% water. If it does not work, rise to 20% / 80%. Then 30% / 70%. And so on. Stop when the smell disappears or as soon as the strap look begins to change. Verify the strap each 30 mins, and if it begins to change then rinse in fresh water for 6 hrs. If look does not change, leave it in solution 12 hrs max., then let it dry 24 hrs and try if the smell disappeared. If not, then go with the next %, and so on.

2) If solution #1 did not work, then, as a last resort, you may purchase a lighter and keep it lighten just below each of your nostrils while deeply inhaling with your nose. 15-20 secs for each nostril should be enough to cauterize your olfactory cells and leave you free from that annoying smell (as well as from any other smells you may encounter afterwards). Abundant alcohol intake is recommended before trying this way.

(A similar result may be obtained by using a hair-drier in place of the lighter, but it can require up to 30-40 mins for each of your nostrils).

2) If solution #1 did not work, then, as a last resort, you may purchase a lighter and keep it lighten just below each of your nostrils while deeply inhaling with your nose. 15-20 secs for each nostril should be enough to cauterize your olfactory cells and leave you free from that annoying smell (as well as from any other smells you may encounter afterwards). Abundant alcohol intake is recommended before trying this way. (A similar result may be obtained by using a hair-drier in place of the lighter, but it can require up to 30-40 mins for each of your nostrils).

:blink::blink::blink: "as a last resort" :lol:

I sense a Darwin Award entry ;)