When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ratched sound from movement 7750

wothrottle

got my hbb king and the rotor sound is different than my other reps 7750. in one direction it spins free, the other it winds, but winding sounds like a ratched, i can hear it when moving my arm.

some guys on repgeek wrote that this is a common problem with the non crono 7750s, do you agree?

what can i do to eliminate that sound?

I'm not sure about this specific problem...but in general my non-serviced 7750s are noisy.

After servicing by The Zigmeister...they are all silent. So the solution for the noise is likely proper cleaning and oiling of the rotor. As to the ratchet sound...that I have no clue about. There are some noisy rotor threads linked in my Noob Guide. Perhaps some suggestions can be found there?

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I also have a Big Bang, and if I take the watch and tilt it one direction, the rotor makes no noise, just the slightest whisper of the rotor moving. When I tilt it the other way, there is a ratcheting sound, which I always assumed was the mainspring winding. If I tilt the watch back and forth, it sound just like someone with a socket wrench tightening a bolt. One direction no sound, then the ratchet. My BB isn't serviced, and I've had it for about 6 months or so.

WR

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I also have a Big Bang, and if I take the watch and tilt it one direction, the rotor makes no noise, just the slightest whisper of the rotor moving. When I tilt it the other way, there is a ratcheting sound, which I always assumed was the mainspring winding. If I tilt the watch back and forth, it sound just like someone with a socket wrench tightening a bolt. One direction no sound, then the ratchet. My BB isn't serviced, and I've had it for about 6 months or so.

WR

exactly the same with my watch.

Yeah, mine a regular stainless steel big bang. The racheting sound isn't that noticable to me unless i'm in a quiet room, it hasn't bothered me much. The watch keeps good time so i'm pretty happy with that. I'm sure at some point I'll send mine in for service and see what happens afterwards, but I wonder if others have this same issue if they listen closely enough.

WR

7750s all tend to be above average in rotor noise, especially in the case of unserviced movements (which means virtually all unserviced rep watches). A proper servicing, including the application of the appropriate oils (regardless of anecdotal stories, grease is NOT appropriate for these watches), should mitigate the rotor noise a great deal.

post-175-1238621153_thumb.jpg

I have Sinn 303 similar to this one pictured, it has a very nice modified 7750 and is the most accurate mechanical watch I own. Probably to 1 second per day- I keep it on a winder when I'm not wearing it and reset the time every two months or so- maybe a minute back. Beats all of my other gen watches hands down.

But you shake the watch and that rotor takes off like ZING. Then when it finally stops, you hear it ratchet back two or three clicks like it's winding the mainspring. It's pretty noisy, but for a $1500 watch with great accuracy, I'm not going to worry about it- I know it came from Sinn well serviced.

BTW, 7750's only wind in one direction- is it CW or CCW? I'm thinking CW, but I'm not sure