When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first vintage project

Brightight

For those who have seen my James Bond Sub thread, which was my second vintage project, here are pics of my first, a very beat up Double Red Sea Dweller.

VDRSD001.jpg

VDRSD005.jpg

VDRSD002.jpg

VDRSD003.jpg

VDRSD004.jpg

It is fitted with an ETA 2824-2 and the date wheel has slipped a fraction, I must sort that out soon......

Since these pics were taken, the bezel, which was just a little pristine, and the strap, which was new, have been subject to a bit of abuse which has improved (or not depending on your point of view!) the overall look.

Thanks for the encouragement Freddy! You know there's an old saying which you might take note of - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Yes, that was in my mind at the time, but the setup was just too obvious to let the opportunity pass me by. My apologies if I offended you.

Yes, that was in my mind at the time, but the setup was just too obvious to let the opportunity pass me by. My apologies if I offended you.

Offended? Good grief no! Disappointed? Most definitely. You seem to be the type of person who mocks five year olds for not being able to do calculus. I expected a critique from you of what was right and what was wrong and would have respected and appreciated that. Perhaps one day you may understand that with knowledge comes responsibility.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Now here is a perfect example of a new guy not knowing what he is getting himself in to...

This would me like me calling Mr. Shelby and telling him that his opinion of my Mustang is inaccurate.

Good luck to you new guy, but understand that Freddy is about as close as it gets to a master vintage Rolex guy. There are others, but they are few and far between.

Freddy is about as close as it gets to a master vintage Rolex guy. There are others, but they are few and far between.

There is ONE MAN on the planet that knows more about vintage Rolex than Freddy. They call him Hans the Wig.

3877_f260.jpg

Now here is a perfect example of a new guy not knowing what he is getting himself in to...

This would me like me calling Mr. Shelby and telling him that his opinion of my Mustang is inaccurate.

Good luck to you new guy, but understand that Freddy is about as close as it gets to a master vintage Rolex guy. There are others, but they are few and far between.

And I'm afraid here is an example of someone not understanding what this thread is about....

I have not criticised anything Freddy has done Rolex wise or criticised his knowledge. I have not suggested I know anthing about vintage Rollies. I posted pics of my FIRST vintagizing project and got a sarcastic comment from the sainted Freddy about being mugged on Canal Street. It would have been a lot more helpful from someone so knowledgeable if he had pointed out where I had gone wrong. Saying the watch looked like it got mugged on Canal Street might be an opinion, it might be true and I am not disputing that, but it is an extremely unhelpful, sarcastic and insulting opinion. That is the problem with 'experts', they get so up themselves they sit in their ivory towers and sneer at the ignorant, dropping their 'bon mots' for the benefit of their inner circle. I'm afraid I cannot respect anyone like that.

Well, my question wasn't sarcastic at all.

As a matter of fact I'm walking around with a Tudor in a purse full of coins and still can't get it scratched <_<

So I wonder how you managed to make it looking so old.

For the rest, I don't see any reason to get so nervous guys :(

And no, a new member should not be flamed.

This place is about learning the basics of this hobby and therefor all questions are welcome.

MyTwoEuroCents,

Stephane

Well, my question wasn't sarcastic at all.

As a matter of fact I'm walking around with a Tudor in a purse full of coins and still can't get it scratched <_<

So I wonder how you managed to make it looking so old.

For the rest, I don't see any reason to get so nervous guys :(

And no, a new member should not be flamed.

This place is about learning the basics of this hobby and therefor all questions are welcome.

MyTwoEuroCents,

Stephane

Thanks Stephane, a voice of reason, and sorry I didn't get round to answering yor question. I have a plastic box full of car size nuts and bolts, basically that did a little of the damage along with the odd bit of filing, wire brushing, etc wth a Dremel The insert was hand scratched with a screwdriver. Thewhole thing actually doesn't look as bad in the flesh, the macro does seem to exaggerate a little.

VDRSD001.jpg

With all due respect, Bright, the point I was trying to make (by way of a joke) is that your watch has so many things wrong with it (&, by wrong, I mean inaccurate, low-end, damaged, cock-eyed, off-center..........the types of things I see on broken Canal Street watches that people bring in for repair & few of the things we normally see on any watch here)) that I saw nothing to be gained by itemizing its collective problems. And adding your brilliant vintagizing (which I have complemented you on elsewhere on the basis of a much better watch) is not going to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse. For better or worse, here, on RWG, I am used to seeing a much different (higher) level of rep. So, when you post a set of pics like these, it seemed to me that the only reasonable response (since I did not want to dump a litany of complaints & criticisms onto such a new member) was to post a light-hearted joke. And, again, I am sorry if the use of sarcasm offends you.

With all due respect, Bright, the point I was trying to make (by way of a joke) is that your watch has so many things wrong with it (&, by wrong, I mean inaccurate, low-end, damaged, cock-eyed, off-center..........the types of things I see on broken Canal Street watches that people bring in for repair & few of the things we normally see on any watch here)) that I saw nothing to be gained by itemizing its collective problems. And adding your brilliant vintagizing (which I have complemented you on elsewhere on the basis of a much better watch) is not going to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse. For better or worse, here, on RWG, I am used to seeing a much different (higher) level of rep. So, when you post a set of pics like these, it seemed to me that the only reasonable response (since I did not want to dump a litany of complaints & criticisms onto such a new member) was to post a light-hearted joke. And, again, I am sorry if the use of sarcasm offends you.

:clap3:

With all due respect, Bright, the point I was trying to make (by way of a joke) is that your watch has so many things wrong with it (&, by wrong, I mean inaccurate, low-end, damaged, [censored]-eyed, off-center..........the types of things I see on broken Canal Street watches that people bring in for repair & few of the things we normally see on any watch here)) that I saw nothing to be gained by itemizing its collective problems. And adding your brilliant vintagizing (which I have complemented you on elsewhere on the basis of a much better watch) is not going to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse. For better or worse, here, on RWG, I am used to seeing a much different (higher) level of rep. So, when you post a set of pics like these, it seemed to me that the only reasonable response (since I did not want to dump a litany of complaints & criticisms onto such a new member) was to post a light-hearted joke. And, again, I am sorry if the use of sarcasm offends you.

And with all due respect Freddy, I did point out that this was my first attempt and I did put a lot of work, perhaps misguided, into this. We all start somewhere and the only way we can progress is through research and the assistance of more knowledgeable people. If you felt it was beyond redemption, it would have been better had you said so or refrained from saying anything at all. All the sarcastic comment told me was that you were trying to be clever at my expense and I will not be patronised particularly as I was not trying to suggest I'd done a wonderful job. I was genuinely disappointed with your response.

However, apologies all round seem to be the order of the day. I would still like to know where the major inaccuracies lie. The case I am led to believe is an MBW which from what I've read seemed a good basis, but you may know better. The dial is an ETA fit one, I will need to work out why it is out of alignment as the movement is spot on, the stem straight in and the crown a pleasure to use.

And with all due respect Freddy, I did point out that this was my first attempt and I did put a lot of work, perhaps misguided, into this. We all start somewhere and the only way we can progress is through research and the assistance of more knowledgeable people. If you felt it was beyond redemption, it would have been better had you said so or refrained from saying anything at all. All the sarcastic comment told me was that you were trying to be clever at my expense and I will not be patronised particularly as I was not trying to suggest I'd done a wonderful job. I was genuinely disappointed with your response.

However, apologies all round seem to be the order of the day. I would still like to know where the major inaccuracies lie. The case I am led to believe is an MBW which from what I've read seemed a good basis, but you may know better. The dial is an ETA fit one, I will need to work out why it is out of alignment as the movement is spot on, the stem straight in and the crown a pleasure to use.

Have not seen many members able to get into a fight with freddy.

Take it easy, rwg is a good place to hang out.

For instance I know that Stephane is a great guy, but the idea of him butchering a great snowflake makes me want to bang my head against the wall..

(we have a big deposit on the apartment so I will not...)

To each, his own.. (i think the DSSD is a monster, fugly.. half of the members will not agree with me... )

Brightight - I just spent several minutes trying to write yet another apology. But the more I read your comments, the more confident I feel that my original comment (& subsequent apology) was correct. You posted pics of a well-vintagized POS. I made a joke, which you did not appreciate. Noted. Done. Let us move on.

I think I'll have to change my technic... ;)

Some members send their watches to 'The Zigmeisterzumba' for obvious reasons, but others may not be aware; you can send a watch for a vintage patina job to 'Nanuq'. He doesn't do anything special, aside wear it for a few week-ends Scouting. Voila!

Or, for the 'DIY' group, I can suggest; wearing the piece while changing out the water pump and universal joints of a 1999 Mazda 626, repeatedly. That'll beat the tar out of any watch. :)

So you have to be an a**hole or a sycophant to be a member of this forum? A new member should expect to be flamed?

No, that was the older RWG. It's off-line now. I was in charge of the 'Welcome Wagon' for a few years. The standard remark there would have been; "So, how far did you chase that guy down Canal Street before you sourced that watch?" :lol:

We took 'rude and uncalled for' to levels not seen. Sort of a funded social science experiment. In the end, the ACLU closed the domain.

For what it's worth, I like your watch here and your Bond No Date even more. I can certainly appreciate the watches the members point out as being prime examples, but I'm lucky; the 'flaws' never bothered me. I'm just in for the intrinsic appeal of the things. You've done a lot of good work for a beginner. The curve is steep, keep your kata strong!

Cheers!