When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I have an Idea

vlydog

Our trader section is always filled with parts from all sorts of watches. And everyone is always turned on by our raffles and the prospect of winning.

What if...

We as a community took part in a project inspired by the pass around watches of the past?

My idea is this: Build a franken of sorts that will be raffled with all the proceeds going to benifit RWG. Here is how I see it.

1. We decide on which watch to build.

2. We solicit donations of all parts needed to assemble the agreed upon model.

3. We find a builder willing to donate his or her services to put the watch together.

4. In the spirit of community, we raffle the watch with the earning going to RWG.

What do we think?

Our trader section is always filled with parts from all sorts of watches. And everyone is always turned on by our raffles and the prospect of winning.

What if...

We as a community took part in a project inspired by the pass around watches of the past?

My idea is this: Build a franken of sorts that will be raffled with all the proceeds going to benifit RWG. Here is how I see it.

1. We decide on which watch to build.

2. We solicit donations of all parts needed to assemble the agreed upon model.

3. We find a builder willing to donate his or her services to put the watch together.

4. In the spirit of community, we raffle the watch with the earning going to RWG.

What do we think?

Sounds great vly ... if you would like to volunteer to assemble a crew to take on this project.. I'm sure a raffle would do well... as long as it's not too much time and money out of your pocket ... and if the members would donate their franken parts ... seems like it would be a franken to look forward to..

anything that would benefit the community as a whole would be more than welcomed..

We are going to start our Photo contest very shortly..

As a testament to Admin... we have done fairly well in the last raffle and Admins mind set is as long as we can take care of the monthly usage .. then we will give back to the community !!

RWG is not a "For Profit" forum .. all the monies go directly to paying out fees.. so this is a project that you could very well take your time on.

if we could table this until after the Photo contest... I'd like to concentrate our energy on one thing at a time... but great idea Vly !!

Thank you !

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Sounds great vly ... if you would like to volunteer to assemble a crew to take on this project.. I'm sure a raffle would do well... as long as it's not too much time and money out of your pocket ... and if the members would donate their franken parts ... seems like it would be a franken to look forward to..

anything that would benefit the community as a whole would be more than welcomed..

We are going to start our Photo contest very shortly..

As a testament to Admin... we have done fairly well in the last raffle and Admins mind set is as long as we can take care of the monthly usage .. then we will give back to the community !!

RWG is not a "For Profit" forum .. all the monies go directly to paying out fees.. so this is a project that you could very well take your time on.

if we could table this until after the Photo contest... I'd like to concentrate our energy on one thing at a time... but great idea Vly !!

Thank you !

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

The pass around watch thing has not always been very easy to finish in the past, at least not the one I participated in.

But me too I love that idea Vly, and yes, I agree with Lani:

-after the photo contest would be the right time

-you should be leader of the project untill it is finished and ready to go to our raffle master :D

Great thing.

A community project is very exiting isn't it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank you !

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Thanks for the input Lani.

No problem with putting this on hold for a while. I understand completely. Meanwhile if you have any ideas for the watch just shoot me a PM.

ATB, vlydog

-you should be leader of the project untill it is finished and ready to go to our raffle master :D

Great thing.

A community project is very exiting isn't it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I would love to take this on. Thanks Stephane for your support. I will give this so time and brainstorm for a while.

Best, B

• 2 months later...
I agree, this is a great concept.

Get some ideas together on what watch will be built, and I will have a hunt for some bits.

Offshore

Does our great community have any ideas as to which watch to build?

Let's here some.

Thanks

How about a 5512, 5513 or vintage PAM?

OK gang we need to get passed step one which is what watch to build. I have agreed to head up this project but I need the communities help too.

patinga has generously offered his help with gen Rolex parts.

TeeJay has chimed in with his possible contribution.

I know of a certain member who is willing to put up a very nice custom made brass piece if we go in the Vintage Panerai direction. ;)

Let's get this project rollin'!

OK gang we need to get passed step one which is what watch to build. I have agreed to head up this project but I need the communities help too.

patinga has generously offered his help with gen Rolex parts.

TeeJay has chimed in with his possible contribution.

I know of a certain member who is willing to put up a very nice custom made brass piece if we go in the Vintage Panerai direction. ;)

Let's get this project rollin'!

I'm not sure if it would be of any use, but I definitely have a bezel I'd be happy to donate :) (the one I installed on my project sub then removed :D ) Of course, once I have the cash to get my main projects underway, I'll have even more spares which I'd be happy to donate as well :)

I'm not sure if it would be of any use, but I definitely have a bezel I'd be happy to donate :) (the one I installed on my project sub then removed :D ) Of course, once I have the cash to get my main projects underway, I'll have even more spares which I'd be happy to donate as well :)

Thanks TeeJay!

Maybe there is hope that this will get off the ground.

Now that the photo contest and the GMT raffle are over, I wonder if this idea has any interest.

196217268_1703431390_AMC-MP-Starsky-Hutch-BenOwen.jpg

DO IT.....DO IT.....

Good place to start in terms of selecting a watch to create is to see what people have and are willing to donate. Based on the result choose the watch that has the most parts available and then we can solicit the rest of the community to fill in the blanks.

Guys, if we start from scratch, and intend to have this watch cross frontiers, I would strongly suggest a NON branded one.

I know I know...I'd like a Rolex but it would certainly been seized at a certain point and so would a Pam, Omega, Tag, ....

JustMyBeloved2BelgianCents :(

Guys, if we start from scratch, and intend to have this watch cross frontiers, I would strongly suggest a NON branded one.

I know I know...I'd like a Rolex but it would certainly been seized at a certain point and so would a Pam, Omega, Tag, ....

JustMyBeloved2BelgianCents :(

Thanks for your input Stephane. I just want to make sure you understand that this is not intended to be a "pass around" watch. Parts will be collected, assembled and then the completed watch will be raffled or auctioned to benefit RWG.

Please do take this the wrong way. You never know how something will be interpreted. I appreciated your suggestion. As I see it, the watch will have very little traveling to do.

A non-branded homage would be a good idea too.

Thanks for your input Stephane. I just want to make sure you understand that this is not intended to be a "pass around" watch. Parts will be collected, assembled and then the completed watch will be raffled or auctioned to benefit RWG.

Please do take this the wrong way. You never know how something will be interpreted. I appreciated your suggestion. As I see it, the watch will have very little traveling to do.

A non-branded homage would be a good idea too.

Oh sorry for that; I thought the initial idea was a PAW :(

I think Vintage Pam is the way to go :)

BTW, what happened to the PAW? It disappeared right?

H

If we go vintage PAM I think we may our first part.

"I know of a certain member who is willing to put up a very nice custom made brass piece if we go in the Vintage Panerai direction."

If we go vintage PAM I think we may our first part.

"I know of a certain member who is willing to put up a very nice custom made brass piece if we go in the Vintage Panerai direction."

Can we put this to a vote?

1. Modern Rolex

2. Vintage Rolex

3. Vintage PAM

4. Homage