When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

28A project... new pics and a Thank You...

projectologist

I wanted to post again and thank those members whose help made this project happen. 6 months of PM's, texting and many phone calls. Mega thanks to...

Sylar

kruzer00

Rolexfinder

and archibald... who generously orchestrated the final assembly of parts.

The following pics were a spur of the moment thing... I was visiting my wife at her studio and had my camera with me as well as the 28 on my wrist. The lighting in her studio is industrial fluorescent, so that was going to be a challenge. I cleared a ss countertop and hung a black towel as a backdrop a couple feet away. Put the camera on AWB and was pretty happy with the results. The OEM gator is about 10 yrs. old, so goes well with the worn around the edges case set and heavily patina'd coating. The rep buckle started out as the usual dark black PVD, so I got out the CC cloth and some 180 grit emery cloth to match the case and cg. I tried but wasn't successful in getting the silver hands to show. Next time I'll try a white fill card.

I didn't anticipate it, but the lousy bare-bulb light source resulted in pics that come very close to showing the PVD coating as it appears in person. Go figure.

28ab.jpg

28abc.jpg

28abcd.jpg

Thats not cape cod :)

Gen 28 pvd case, cg, crown, crystal with cyclops. Def as close to gen as you can get missing dial and hands!

Love this piece Robert, by far my favorite build of yours.

Thanks JK. And you're right re. use of the CC cloth. It was only used on the buckle to get it to match the case set. Because it worked so well, I now realize that aging a rep pvd case is probably the only way to match the original aged finish. It just can't be done with DLC.

However for later series PAMs nothing can compete with DLC, especially the way avitt does it.