When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DLC Coating - Start to finish!

Guest avitt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest avitt
Just wondering, has anyone DLC coated titanium? How would it work, would it look OK? ^_^

I haven't coated Ti...yet! But I'm told that it is another ideal substrate for coating.

Guest avitt
I am very tempted to coat my unbranded Ti PAM082, do you think it would look good with DLC?

Hmm... :g:

Of course it will, Mickey! ;)

Send it on over - I'll take good care of it!

I have had 4 Pams and misc pieces coated by Avitt. All perfect as he IS a perfectionist. You should see his workbench....all top notch gear. I would definitely recommend DLC coating by Avitt.

cc

I have had 4 Pams and misc pieces coated by Avitt. All perfect as he IS a perfectionist. You should see his workbench....all top notch gear. I would definitely recommend DLC coating by Avitt.

cc

+1 very professional and Top Notch results on my 009 Case

Guest avitt
Do you think I could get that done for my Macbook Air? How much would this cost?

You probably could...Does it have a metal shell that can be removed? Is is currently coated with anything (like plastic)?

I can always get you a quote (although it might be pretty expensive, as the price is loosely based on the amount of real estate to be coated).

You probably could...Does it have a metal shell that can be removed? Is is currently coated with anything (like plastic)?

I can always get you a quote (although it might be pretty expensive, as the price is loosely based on the amount of real estate to be coated).

It's an anodized aluminium shell and you don't want to be stripping the case completely off, as the guts are packed in VERY tightly.

Slay - check out Colorware ;)http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-126-macbook-air.aspx

@Avitt, as doc said, anodized aluminium. The surface is about 2100cm2, probably a bit less! you have a ballpark figure of how much we are talkin (if its too much I might aswell forget about it)?

@doc already know colorware, but I dont like the glossy colors, plus 500$ is a bit steep!

Just to check, there is definitely a difference between PVD and DLC, isn't there?

I know DLC is supposed to be 4000 Vickers and one of the hardest coatings available (if not the hardest?) but is it correspondingly more expensive than PVD, which I understand to be softer?

Has anyone had experience of the robustness of both? I really like the black finish but my watches tend to take a few hits here and there, and I wouldn't want to PVD something if it's only going to chip off in the first month...

Thanks in advance, all :)

Just to check, there is definitely a difference between PVD and DLC, isn't there?

I know DLC is supposed to be 4000 Vickers and one of the hardest coatings available (if not the hardest?) but is it correspondingly more expensive than PVD, which I understand to be softer?

Has anyone had experience of the robustness of both? I really like the black finish but my watches tend to take a few hits here and there, and I wouldn't want to PVD something if it's only going to chip off in the first month...

Thanks in advance, all :)

Think of PVD as a 'paint', an external coating that can and will easily scratch.

Whereas DLC is more akin to a 'stain', penetrating below the metal surface which lends it more scratch-resistant properties.

And I can confirm that both react accordingly in 'real life' wear and tear.

@Avitt, as doc said, anodized aluminium. The surface is about 2100cm2, probably a bit less! you have a ballpark figure of how much we are talkin (if its too much I might aswell forget about it)?

@doc already know colorware, but I dont like the glossy colors, plus 500$ is a bit steep!

Trust me, Colorware will work out cheaper given the surface area of the MBA.

I know what you mean about 'glossy' there's no getting around it, but I've toyed with a stealth or even two-tone finish using one particular colour - graphite - which I've seen in the flesh and looks really nice.

large.jpg

I agree though, a dark matt anodized aluminium MBA would be fantastic, something I thought Apple would make ever since the iPod nano (and now new shuffle) came out in that dark DLC-type colour. Sadly not. Well not yet. To utilise Avitt's fantastic coating, the problem would lie in the unibody construction - the bottom case comes off easily enough, but it's the surface hidden most. The lid may prove to be a pain to disassemble from the display itself - varies from model to model, the old MBP for example was easy to crack, the old TiBook almost impossible as it was glued. Even if you do it there's other components to strip out like antennas. As for the top case, well I think you're screwed there as all the main components are built into it, and you're talking a complete strip down to end up with just the bare metal shell. Personally I don't think it's even possible.

Think of PVD as a 'paint', an external coating that can and will easily scratch.

Whereas DLC is more akin to a 'stain', penetrating below the metal surface which lends it more scratch-resistant properties.

And I can confirm that both react accordingly in 'real life' wear and tear.

Ahhhh, I understand now!

Thank you very much for the reply :)

DLC is definitely what I'd need then, although trust me to have expensive taste/needs lol :D

Guest avitt

The official word is that anodized aluminum can't be coated, slay. Sorry about that...

• 1 month later...

Simply amzingly jaw droppingly gorgeous!!! My FGD 201a project must have the avitt treatment!!! Now to find a damn case,....sigh......................