When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese 1939 - Photos

mick92627

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a beautiful and timeless looking watch. IWC have some timeless and understated yet sophisticated designs.

This rep in incredible too! $108USD? I AM reading that correctly right?

Where are you guys getting these? :D

Hi nicewatches.

I'm awaiting a white face version from EuroTimez as they QC before shipping, or so I am led to believe!

The movement should be fine. The problem with the seconds at 6 that you refer to is, I believe, only an issue on the (automatic) Asian 7750 movement - it has additional 'cogs' added to it to move the seconds hand from 9 to 6, which results in additional stress on the movement, which kills it over time. (I think there's a review of it by The Zigmeister/Zigmeister, if you have a look round.)

The movement in this is a handwind asian movement (I'm not entirely sure which one :unsure: ) which I think is designed from the start to be seconds at 6, so should be fine.

I also believe the black face version comes with the black strap as standard, so if that's what you ordered then you should be fine! I've ordered a black strap in addition to the brown strap, so I have a choice.

I will attempt pics when it arrives!

• 2 weeks later...

Just recieved this watch today from Josh at Perfect Clones but instead of a white face I got a cream-esque colored face. Kind of upset. Maybe this hobby isn't for me..breakdown of my purchases:

1) Bought 2 watches from a scam site, 99 brands, returned them and got a full refund though

2) Bought a Tag Carrera 28,800bph from Mark at TimeShops and received the 21,600bph version - he is exchanging it for me so we should be all good

3) Bought this from Josh at Perfect Clones and received a cream face instead of a white face.

Since they don't even make a cream coloured version this screams rep..I don't mind that but I just don't like the look. I hope Josh can work something out with me so that I don't have to wait another month in turnaround.

I ordered this watch the other day from Josh after reading this review on the Geek... Wouldn't have considered it otherwise so, erm, thanks for bringing it into the limelight! Personally I think it could do with a better strap, any ideas guys? Will a gen IWC fit??

After seeing Lani's pic of the black one, I think I'll be getting that too. At $108, it's a nice little 'add-on' to any order you're making and a very pleasant surprise in terms of quality and appearance - as the OP stated and showed...

S

Strap actually looks decent! It is a bit tough though, but after a few weeks of wearing it in I think they will be fine. I e-mailed Josh about the cream dial problem (and noticed that the AR isn't really that good at all). Will let everyone know what he says when I hear back.

Ok so after speaking with Josh he told me that the yellow-ish tint is actually coming from the AR on the crystal and that all of these pieces have this. Can anyone confirm? When looking at the watch, face on, the face looks slightly cream in color and not pure white.

Anyone?

Yeah I am not too worried about the closeness to the Gen, but moreso just the look of the dial! I was hopnig to have this one look solid white but it doesn't look like it will be happening unless I pay to get another AR done. That would probably cost as much as the watch itself!

I will post pics when I get back from work tonight :D

Here are some pictures. I am still not convinced that my watch is supposed to appear yellow in almost every light, unless it's in bright daylight and so is so reflective that I can barely see the time. I guess we'll have to see once you get yours Member X. If yours isn't like this I am going to return mine with Josh!

Sorry for the crap pictures but it's all I can manage on my point and shoot Canon.

post-23035-1246996190_thumb.jpg

post-23035-1246996200_thumb.jpg

post-23035-1246996210_thumb.jpg

post-23035-1246996224_thumb.jpg

post-23035-1246996233_thumb.jpg

Cool, thanks for the pics :)

I see what you mean about the yellow, it's quite prominent in the last two shots.

Hopefully someone who's got a bit more experience than me will be able to comment!

I reckon this is a piece that would benefit from a chieftang AR but it is more money than you've already spent, and I'm not sure if he's taking on orders at the minute.

Will chase mine later this week if I've not heard anything and hopefully it won't take long to turn up! :)

I tried one of these on at the AD in Bangkok on a recent trip. It's huge! The glass is not a dome, but it is done in a retro style and rises off the case quite a bit (kind of like the profile on a vintage Datejust).

I agree with everyone that this is very cool, especially for the price.

Strap actually looks decent! It is a bit tough though, but after a few weeks of wearing it in I think they will be fine. I e-mailed Josh about the cream dial problem (and noticed that the AR isn't really that good at all). Will let everyone know what he says when I hear back.

I have a gen 5001 and the dial is a little bit cream, the 3714 dial is the same, probably this is the same case.

After wearing the piece for a week or two I am 100% satisfied. I actually LIKE how its sort of cream in color in certain lights now :D In the office it wears cream, but outside it wears white, so it's pretty cool. This thing is bullet proof too. Haven't dropped it yet but I did get it wet and it is holding steady. The handwound movemen is quite awesome to wind too - feels very very solid. Definitely a steal for $108.

Glad to hear it! I can't wait to get mine :)

I've just had the email from Chris regarding approval/disapproval/comments on the second one he's sourced for me - the first had a section of the outer ring of the subdial missing so, thanks to the fact that Eurotimez offer photographs before shipping, I've been able to save the hassle of sending that first one back! B)

The second one I'm just waiting for someone to check the same issue - I think the factory/ies subdial printing processes may need to be slightly tweaked to ensure even thickness all round the subdial outer ring?

Either way, so far I'm very happy with Eurotimez :) although I get the feeling they're going to fed up with me wanting perfection, or as near as it gets in a rep :blush: lol

If you're reading this, Chris, I appreciate all your efforts!!

Gnargh, I'm in a dilemma! lol

Chris and his team have sent through the pics, including a macro one of the subdial as I asked for B) but it appears that the white faced ones can suffer with a very thin outside ring to bottom half the subdial, to the point of being missing in some cases - I think I can see it in nicewatches' photos a little earlier too, as well as in Mick's original pictures, and now I'm worried if it's going to be too noticeable or going to lessen my enjoyment of it :(

Should I swap to the black faced version? Lani's shots show that the black one seems to have much better printing on the subdial rings than the white faced ones, but I did want a white one!

This is my first rep, though, so perhaps I'm expecting too much :blush:

If Mick and nicewatches can reassure me that it really isn't noticeable then I will give Chris the go-ahead to get it shipped - I can't wait! :)

Wow, didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. Even after knowing it's there I would say it is DEFINITELY NOT a dealbreaker. This watch is awesome, is solid as hell, and keeps great time while still looking nice and being cheap. Keep with the white version! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm pleased to say that it's finally turned up today - and straight out of the packet I was impressed!

Feels far more solid than the ebay cheapy homages I've got recently and the quality of the finishing is amazing, full stop, not just amazing for the price.

As mentioned above, it has a cream colour when you're inside but looks much brighter in the outside world - if you're thinking about getting this, I would say go for it!

I would perhaps go with someone that can provide photos, so you are able to check that the outside printed ring of the subdial is acceptable. It seems they all suffer slightly with not being 100% all the way round, fading slightly at the bottom, but on the wrist you barely notice it - macro photos tend to blow things up into looking like more of a problem than they are lol

I can't comment on long term reliability issues etc yet as I've only just got it, but the winding is firm and smooth and the construction feels solid. Even the brown strap isn't too bad!

Overall I've very happy. After some stressing about whether it would be worth the money, I feel it definitely is B)

Will get some pics done later this week and get them up when I can!

Thanks for the earlier review postings with pictures, they were a massive help in choosing to go for this watch. A prime example of quality work by the factories paying dividends due to word of mouth recommendation by buyers!