When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese 1939 - Photos

mick92627

The Portuguese of 1939 is a true watch legend that stylistically comes as close as possible to the perfect ideal of good watch design.

As the first "wristwatch" it established the large size worn on the wrist that is very popular today. It was also the first to break the

taboo of wearing a complete pocket-watch movement on one's arm. It was successful, and still is today for IWC.

As many of you already know, it got its name from the fact that just such a watch was requested by two Portuguese businessmen

at the end of the 1930s. They wanted a high-precision watch that would embody their proud tradition as a seafaring nation.

From the start the "Portuguese", as it was only named years later, with all its features was an unofficial marine chronometer and laid out

like a navigational instrument. Arabic numerals and graduations for the indices alternate, the actual measuring range is separated off

at the dial center by another circle, the minute chapter ring is in the "chemin de fer" - railway - style very popular at the time.

The same graphic elements also appear in the seconds display circle. The case (the rep is 43 mm, whereas the gen is 44mm,)

with its fluted bezel and slightly pulled down strap lugs is in keeping with the original.

Like the modern gen, the rep Vintage Portuguese does differ from the original 1939 in that it has anti-reflective sapphire glass over the dial.

The rep is powered by the Asian Unitas 6498 Manual Handwind Movement, 21600bph, and is a joy to wind; it just feels so solid, and is,

as some members here have remarked, fairly bullet-proof. Here too the elongated index, the so called "Jones arrow", which goes

from the balance c*ck to the plate, is a reference to F. A. Jones, the boy from Boston who founded IWC on the Rhine 140 years ago.

To this day, IWC is the only major Swiss watch factory located in eastern Switzerland, as the majority of the well-known Swiss watch

manufacturers are located in western Switzerland.

If you only go by the pics on Josh or Andrew's site, you'd be taking a leap of faith on this watch, as I did. I figured, at around a hundred bucks,

what do I have to lose? But when I got it I was SO IMPRESSED by the look and feel. The face is gorgeous, the AR is faboo and it has a

really nice heft to it. Lots of presence. I can always count on people noticing it and complimenting it. I'm well pleased.

(I glommed some of the text above from other sites around the net.)

Enough talk for now. Pictures.

iwc01.jpg

iwc02.jpg

iwc03.jpg

iwc04.jpg

iwc05.jpg

iwc06.jpg

iwc07.jpg

iwc07%20closeup.jpg

iwc08.jpg

iwc09.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you got any wrist shots of this?

I'm seriously tempted to pull the trigger on it...

Just to check, it's this one we're talking about?

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=3939

Would it be possible to swap the movement to, perhaps, a decorated skeleton 3620 movement?

Or a Swiss ETA Unitas 6498?

Thanks in advance :)

Have you got any wrist shots of this?

I don't, but I'll get one. A few people have asked.

Just to check, it's this one we're talking about?

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=3939

Yes, same watch, but I got mine from Josh, here:

http://www.jpc8118.com/000000iwpv10001-por...498-p-5854.html

Thank you Mick for the time in researching this piece !

Hope it's ok.. to post your white dials mate.. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to wear this .. but I love the classic look.. :)

after getting the black dial I also went for the white.. but that's your baby B)

(posted this one a couple of months ago)

iwcvc006.jpg

The strap is like patent gator.. looks great !! better in person actually !

iwcvc004.jpg

Sorry, I could of aligned the buckle a little better.. :p .. pic is mainly for the strap..

iwcvc009.jpg

The dial in natural sunlight is stunning .. although the sun is going down.. you get the point..

iwcvc016.jpg

iwcvc014.jpg

Nice blue hue ..

iwcvc013i.jpg

iwcvc001.jpg

The Markers and numerals morph in different lighting.. silver to gold.. Cool!!

iwcvc006.jpg

iwcvc.jpg

I am not even going to bother comparing this with the genuine.. the numerals are a bit larger than the gen. .. but I am estatic.. mainly due to the price of this one.. when is the last time we saw a dress watch for 108 usd with this quality ?

Dammit, lani - I was keen on the white face version but now I'm undecided... LoL

Just been looking up some stuff on the gen versions - still looking at about c.US$10k for the black face or US$40k for the Limited Edition white face! I presume because the LE version is platinum not SS.

The only major differences I can see are the numerals, as you point out, and also the gen movement is 18800bph not 21600bph, but at this price point I think it can be forgiven lol

I don't think we're going to see one 'in the wild' so are unlikely to be called out! :lol:

Does the gen on these have a dome crystal? I was under the impression they did it to look a bit like a vintage plastic crystal.

Like so...

From what I can make out, I don't think they do - check lani's pic, below!

iwcvc004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So what's the consensus on the reliability of this rep? Are there any known problems with this rep since the seconds are at 6 ? If I bought this, how often would it require service (or could I just buy, wind or spin in my hand until it starts and then wear it all day and place it down at night and not worry about it) ?? This watch is gorgeous, thanks for the post mate!

Is this watch the same (but with a black strap):

http://www.watcheden.com/iwc-portugieser-f...-26215-p-1.html

I love the look of this watch, and am 99% sure I want to purchase it however I am looking for one with a black strap. Think WatchEden would send me a black IWC strap instead of the brown in the pictures on the first post?

Great piece!