When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Chrono, second level

SMP Chrono

One month ago, I aready modded my beloved SMP Chrono with a gen crown/tube, gen date disc, and gen bezel - first level

Now, parts finally start to arrive left, front, and right *g* Still waiting for the gen minute and hour hands from Canada - can only take a few days more, maybe Monday - who knows - and then my watch gets the true overhaul with gen dial, gen minute/hour and chrono second hands, plus a gen chrono second hand wheel to correct the minute inaccuracy issue as described here: click

After that, I only need a decent gen bracelet - and my SMP Chrono will be spot on! JFYI, I can source the Gen caseback for €50 + shipping - NEW! Maybe I will try that out, too. To boldly franken, such far as nobody frankened before... it's really fun! Thank you guys who infected me :)

(will post finished project in this thread when it's done!)

post-5077-1241787227_thumb.jpg

post-5077-1241787279_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMP Chrono

WOW. That's going to be the benchmark SMP Chrono. Amazing. Yup...the watch matches your nick.

Yea, that's the target! But also the way there is fun already :)

I even had my nick name changed to match the watch a few weeks ago :D

Good work on sourcing the parts.

Good work on providing all the information @all the folks here! I am now really thinking about becoming a supporter. I totally like this place now. Not only it is loaded with the stuff that really matters, but I only experienced friendly guys here, even the very knowledgeable ones. A big thank you to y'all! U know who u r ;)

Pop a Swiss 7750 in there and it will be at the next level!!

This is one of the early batch SMP Chronos which has a nicely engraved and decorated "Omega" genuine-like rotor... well, if there's a gen 7750 for very cheap, I might do so... but it gots to be really cheap, as my A7750 runs flawlessly - I had it just fully serviced and it runs to COSC specifications. As I am having the minute flaw corrected, only time will tell whether I put a swiss 7750 in or not...

P.S.: As for the differences between Gen and Rep dial... the Rep dial on this watch is actually very accurate. But if you see them, removed from the watch, side by side, you notice the following on the Rep: 1) "swiss made" too high and slightly too bold 2) date window frame slightly too bold 3) 3 and 9 o'clock marker have not the same sizes 4) wave pattern not as prominent and slightly out of shape where it intersects with other elements of the dial 5) the color is too "blue", as with the Rep bezel, too 6) the chrome frame around the totalizers is too narrow and of course 7) the lume is [censored] compared to the Gen dial

So this is the one-and-for-all myth buster that the Rep dial was indistinguishable from the Gen dial :-p

Edited by SMP Chrono

Remember on the gen hands, the sub hands don't fit - if I remember you need to slightly broach them and the sweep in too big so a pinch is in order.

The exact measurements are posted somewhere in the Omega area.

I just finished a swap to a Swiss 7750 with hands, date wheel, etc. The A7750 went into a Junghans chrono.

You'll love those gen hands as they are the correct length. You've got a super project under way!! :clap:

Jim

yea, thanks for your input!

I know that already, though.... that's why I won't have the small red hands replaced, but just painted to match the red on the Gen dial and Gen chrono second hand. The Gen chrono second hand will fit after following Franciscos's guide to replace the Rep chrono second wheel in order to correct the minute inaccuracy issue as described in my original post.

Still no post from Canada - damn, why does that take SO long? I had hoped to get my watch back in all its new glory already in May...

yea, thanks for your input!

I know that already, though.... that's why I won't have the small red hands replaced, but just painted to match the red on the Gen dial and Gen chrono second hand. The Gen chrono second hand will fit after following Franciscos's guide to replace the Rep chrono second wheel in order to correct the minute inaccuracy issue as described in my original post.

Still no post from Canada - damn, why does that take SO long? I had hoped to get my watch back in all its new glory already in May...

It's will be there soon. Can't wait to see your pics when you are done

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to seeing it, are you doing the mods yourself Oliver or do you know someone who can do it for you? Matt

Partly myself (bezel, spring bars, bracelet [i just sourced a used Gen bracelet, too!], caseback and such), but I leave the delicate things to my local, totally Rep-friendly and ultra experienced (50+ years in business) watchmaker.

P.S.: Only yesterday I discovered the feedback system here... of course gave you a plus :D could you be so kind and rate me, too?

P.S.: As for the differences between Gen and Rep dial... the Rep dial on this watch is actually very accurate. But if you see them, removed from the watch, side by side, you notice the following on the Rep: 1) "swiss made" too high and slightly too bold 2) date window frame slightly too bold 3) 3 and 9 o'clock marker have not the same sizes 4) wave pattern not as prominent and slightly out of shape where it intersects with other elements of the dial 5) the color is too "blue", as with the Rep bezel, too 6) the chrome frame around the totalizers is too narrow and of course 7) the lume is [censored] compared to the Gen dial

So this is the one-and-for-all myth buster that the Rep dial was indistinguishable from the Gen dial :-p

Would you be able to post a side by side picture of both of the dials?

That would be really useful!

:)

Would you be able to post a side by side picture of both of the dials?

Once the watch is finished, I will use a better digicam and do some close-ups. I already planned to put the Rep dial next to the watch for a comparison, so stay patient, can still take 2 weeks... but I already seriously doubt that the final result will be distinguishable from the Gen in any way :D