When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watcha Doin', Honey?

Guest avitt

Guest avitt
Is that the same works as the original would have, if so what would the bridge say on it?, grweat looker though,

The movement is about as close as you can come, without spending $10,000 on an original. The vintage Daytona's utilized Valjoux 72 series movements (72, 722, 727). Rolex added slight modifications, which did not appreciably improve the performance. Because lots of chronos of that period used the VJ72, you can often find these movements in vintage watches on eBay.

The original bridges had two looks. The later ones looked like this (picture from eBay):

100635-26342.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
is it a DW? Very nice

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I guess you could call it a DW. The case, pushers, bezel, hands, bracelet, and end links came from DW.

I took the DW case, and filed/burnished off the sharp edges. I taped off the polished areas, and reapplied the brushed finish to the lugs. Then I taped off the lugs, and polished the rest of the case...End result was a nice, soft case that doesn't look like it just came off the CNC machine.

The case back was upgraded from one of the many 6263 case sets that I bought and sold last year. Crown is from eBay seller suissetime, tube is from Cousins, crystal from Jared, dial is from Andy, springbars from Terry Fu. Movement is from an eBay donor. I can't remember where I picked up the tap 10 stem.

That's all there is to it, boys. Now you go get you some!

This is worth my first post in 6 months....Is that the case you showed me in OC? What a beautiful job....I still have that watch for you to assemble for me..never did get done...regards to your lady as well..

What an honor for me, Maxlove! It's great to see your post. I hope that you and Max are doing well...Anne send her regards, as well.

This is, indeed, one of the projects that I had cooking at the GTG. Thank you vey much for the complement.

I'll be happy to help you with your watch, whenever the time is right. Just send me a PM, and we can get things going.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Gran. I'm honored to be among your friends!

Yes, slay, that is a DW bracelet...but I bought it during David's first appearance, over a year ago. DW did deliver some more 571 end links earlier this year. Unfortunately, they were and incorrect shape and size, and could not be used.

Just be careful and hope that none of the hardcore "fanatics" around here don't track you down and mug you! :p

Thanks for the warning. Potential muggers will be pummeled with my DRSD. It has Sprint's "Built-in Crime Deterrent Feature".

Edited by avitt

• 1 month later...
Avitt, that caseback is a real beauty...where did you find it?

Thanks! If I remember correctly, that back came from a set that I bought about a year ago from a seller in Singapore. I haven't come across one quite like it since....