When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody else have a time machine....

Justasgood

So, My MBW 5512 got here on Saturday. New and un-used....it even still had the blue film on the crown. So now here is the strange journey.....I set the time, gave the crown a few turns, it ginned right up. But then.........when I pushed the crown in....the hands took off like a helicopter. Running a 24 hour cycle in no time.....whoa! I didn't feel older, but I just watched 2 days worth of time run off on my watch in the space of 30 seconds.

Now, either I time travelled forward, or there is a problem with my movement.

Has this happened to anyone else? The Zigmeister, are you familiar with this issue?

When I wind it, I can feel the rotor spinning and when I set the time and push in the crown.....off she goes to a time in the near future.

I dug through my box-O-parts and cobbled together a movement and swapped them out. Problem was, the movement had a very long seconds hand pinion so I couldn't install the seconds hand.

This morning, I clipped the pinion short, filed it round, re-installed it and "viola" seconds hand now in place.

5512006.jpg

5512005.jpg

5512004.jpg

Anyway, just curious as to wether anyone else experienced this type of issue.

Have a great day,

Kurt.

Hi Kurt,

I can imagine the look on your face when the watch took off like that! :shock: I've never heard of a movement doing something like that (especially a new one).

I've contacted RG, and asked him if he would kindly try to source a new eta and send it directly to you.

Or, if you would prefer, I'll pay shipping back to me and I'll issue full refund.

Cheers,

JJ

Thanks guys.......I agree with the escapement diagnosis. As I mentioned, I managed to cobble a movement together so while I appreciate the offers, I think I am good for now.

Of course, if someone has a slow beat no date movement.......I'm all ears :-).

JoJo, thanks again for the gesture. Not that it has to be said, but if anyone has any reservations about this board or it's members (Like JoJo, Ubi), you ain't been around long enough.

Kurt.

That is an amazing issue.

Like Jojo Said, you really must have been super suprised seing that happen! :bounce:

And yes, this place rocks...and so does Jojo.

I know personaly several members with strict terms and conditions but who will replace/refund right away, even if no serious issue happens!

Bravo RWG :1a:

Well, I was going to use it for a project- The plan was to mod an MBW 1680/5513 case (CG's, lug holes, tube), PVD it with RG and install the dial/hands/movement assembly destro style and throw it on a khaki NATO, but I am not sure if I'd ever get around to it.

Why, you interested?

:)

Well, I was going to use it for a project- The plan was to mod an MBW 1680/5513 case (CG's, lug holes, tube), PVD it with RG and install the dial/hands/movement assembly destro style and throw it on a khaki NATO, but I am not sure if I'd ever get around to it.

Why, you interested?

:)

Let's go someplace quiet to discuss this...........PM on the way......am I interested, pff pahlease.

This watch is actually a new (NOS) and never touched MBW that I had originally bought from George.

I found the dial on this watch especially unique, in that if you'll take a look at the photo below, you'll notice that the characteristics of the lume is IMO, spot-on in appearance to aged genuine tritium. I'm not talking about the color of the lume, which is also identical to some aged tritium I've seen, but of the way it was applied to the dial. It just looks very old.

5512004.jpg

Another nice note is that is that the crystal is nicely domed, and has a very close appearance to a superdome T19. Besides the crystal, as with old case MBW's, it has the same retainer-ring design as a gen, and as a result will accept a gen crystal and gen bezel/insert