When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This 5508 looks like a franken to me

alligoat

Based on the reference books I have, it looks like a mash-up.

5508's according to one book should be a Cal 1530, Mercedes hands, Single line Submariner txt -or- 2 line 100m/330ft Submariner txt.

The hands look like they are off a 1953 Explorer 6298 (Subs only used Pencil hands (6200's), Sword Hands (mil spec), and Mercedes hands)

Even the dial looks like it was some form of Explorer re-dial minus the Explorer txt.

To me this looks like an Explorer I and Submariner had a baby. Definitely not a 1958 5508 IMHO.

That's correct, Alli-

1030 was the 6536; 5508 was the 1530.

Looks as though this is a piece that's been put together from a mish mash of stuff...

EDIT: The SCOC font looks strangely familiar... Based on what I see, it looks as though it may have it's origins (or maybe touched up) from HK...

5508 movement was either 1530 or (chronometer rated) 1560. Dial is aftermarket & hands are not only incorrect for this model, but also mismatched (seconds hand does not match minute/hour hands). Case may also be aftermarket. If someone said this watch came from Phong, I would have a hard time disagreeing.

The one thing I like about the watch is the case freddy! I'm looking at my NDT 5508 and the fat lugs are bumming me out! I guess I need to think about thinning them out and adding an arris along the edges. Phong has a 5510 case- same thick lugs.

http://ndtradingcorp.com/zen/index.php?mai...8Sub_03_LRG.jpg

The more I look at that dial, the more I realize it's all wrong- Certainly it's later with the Swiss T<25, as well as the SCOC. HK redial works for me. And of course, it's in no way a Submariner dial!