When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Confrontation

sawalke4

so I was working out today and a guy asked me to work in the machine I was using. I noticed him looking at my joe modded sub, and he was wearing an ss sub also. He commented "nice watch" to which i kindly replied thanks, and commented on his. Then he asked me to take the watch off so he could get a better look. I did, and he compaired mine to his. He said " yea mine is a rep and you cant even tell the difference" i replied that mine was also a rep. He perked up said that he got his on idealwatches for only $900, what a great deal, when its so close to gen, right" I told him that I paid only 200 for mine from a dealer plus the price of mods. Then he said...no, what you have is actually a cheap japanese movement, still nice, but not as good as his ETA. I assured him that mine was also an ETA and in fact serviced and waterproofed.. He refused to believe me and said that I was scammed. I then expalined to him the truth about idealwatches and that actually HE was scammed. He became upset and kept insisting that these "private dealers" were all scam artists that sell inferior quality under the guise of selling a good product and I din't really have a A++ quality rep. I insisted that he should visit this forum to learn the truth, but he was adamant that his rep was superior and he could fool any jeweler. When i showed him the flaws his had with a bad pearl, solid links, and fat crown gaurds he didnt believe me and said " all i know is that you get what you pay for and i paid for a perfect replica"....I guess some people cant be convinced. It upsets me to know that unscrupulous sites like idealwatched scam people all the time, making huge money off of replica lovers, and they are ignorant to the fact that they have been scammed.We really should do something to shut down these scammers.

....I guess some people cant be convinced.

Sounds like he had a bit of cognitive dissonance. The idea that we like to keep our beliefs and behaviors consistent and when they are not, we feel tension and will do anything to bring things back to consistency. He already bought the watch and you can’t undo that. If he admitted anything you were saying, he would have to admit doing something foolish. Of course, none of us think we are a fool, so he retained this image by rejecting everything you were saying. Still,,,interesting example

Well considering this confrontation took place in a gym, I assume both you and your advisary are to good muscular shape, I'm surprised this didn't end with fists :D

Actually good story...but you know what some people are stubborn and can't be lead to the promised land. Hell if I spent $900 on a rep, which I almost did before stumbling on to this board, I too would be defensive to know that I got taken.

Next time you see him shut him up by showing him all of the nice watches you have that totaled his one for $900.

Edited by Steve G

Well considering this confrontation took place in a gym, I assume both you and your advisary are to good muscular shape, I'm surprised this didn't end with fists :D

Actually good story...but you know what some people are stubborn and can't be lead to the promised land. Hell if I spent $900 on a rep, which I almost did before stumbling on to this board, I too would be defensive to know that I got taken.

Next time you see him shut him up by showing him all of the nice watches you have that totaled his one for $900.

nah im not that confrontational...i was trying to educate the guy...maybe next time ill wear one of my pannies and see what he says..lol

The thing is he's just repeating what he was told by idealwatches. As far as he was concerned, you were saying precisely what idealwatches says people who buy cheap watches from scammers say. And if he didn't know you from Adam, was embarrassed by having the tables turned on him and he had $900 invested in believing he didn't get gypped, I don't think being persuasive enough was the problem.

Interesting story, I'm always amazed at some of these people you guys meet. Who brags about "only" paying $900 for a fake Sub? Most people would think you were nuts to pay that much for a fake.

Did you point him to this site?

At least you could have pointed him to Richard Brown's site so he could see for himself that he bought crap...

Since you saw this guy at the gym, I imagine you'll run into him again. Point him this way so he can educate himself :lol:

Did you point him to this site?

At least you could have pointed him to Richard Brown's site so he could see for himself that he bought crap...

Since you saw this guy at the gym, I imagine you'll run into him again. Point him this way so he can educate himself :lol:

Yeah... I totally agree and second that notion... That's what this site is about... Education about REPS!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Should have let him think yours was real and point out the differences between a real and a rep - he would go along since he thinks yours is real - then after he was agreeing and on your side throw in the fact that yours was a rep as well and catch him off guard.

Off the topic but the main issue I've run into is people think genuine Rollie Subs are heavy which they are not - a friend at work was inspecting mine and commented that it looked good but it was way too light -

I didn't bother telling him that a modern sub was 135g and my rep was also 135g - pointless - some people you just can't educate so why waste the effort.

I'm a greatful recovering replica overpayer thanks to the program available here at RWG. I had about 30 seconds of denial followed by guilt and self recrimination. Not a single replica that I bought at those other sites survives to this day. At least two $200 "japanese movement" sub reps had the case tube strip out of the case threads when I screwed the crown down too hard. One Patek had the hands and micro rotor fall off. Several others simply stopped running for no reason. Today, thanks to RWG, I know what a reliable replica costs and where to get them. If your obstinate friend is reading this, get over it, you've been scammed. Enjoy the promised rep land!!!!