When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clark T39 Super Dome for silix 1665

donerix

I just took advantage of silix's special and bought this DRSD for $120 (down from $190):

I haven't received the watch watch yet, but it looks to me like the dome is of the flat type.

I really like the tall super dome shape, so my question is will the Clark T39 fit without any modifications (I am worried about the bezel not having enough room) and can I do it without any special crystal replacement tool (or is this something any watch smith can do - even in a Third World place like Nicaragua).

Any help would be appreciated.

rols179-7.jpg

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1909

I realize that it probably isn't too close to a gen but I have zero mod experience and want to take it slow.

All of these CN subs vary slightly from the gens. As everyone says, you can try, but it probably won't work. A few people have gotten lucky on these- mostly 1680 reps taking a 127 crystal.

On the 5512 from Josh, your best bet is to put a better pearl on the insert (try the illumines dot from Ofrei), age it, drill the lugholes, age the dial, you could put a gen crown and tube on there (or not), age it some more, beat the heck out of it and enjoy it for what it is- an inexpensive rep that looks great.

You can probably fit a gen crystal to it, but it may not be the correct 1 for that model. Since the case is not made to the exact 1665 dimensions, finding a crystal that fits will require a bit of trial-&-error. You might start by removing the existing crystal & measuring the height & inner & outer diameters. Unfortunately, I do not know of a source that lists the dimensions of all gen Rolex crystals, but someone else might.

Measure the diameter of your rep crystal... all the reps have differences...

Find the Clark with the closest measurement, OR, do yourself a favor and find the Gen Tropic with the closest measurement (you can find all of these, except the 'rare' ones for $25 from Cas-Ker), just make sure you know which crystal your after, don't go asking any watch material supplier to go measure the stock for you.