When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just picked up a gen Tag 2000 off eBay

Bob99

Hi everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on a gen. Tag 2000 series automatic that I found on eBay. I managed to get it for $350 US, which is a great deal for an automatic TAG. It's a few years old, but the 2000 series has always been my favorite TAG.

Prior to buying this watch, I was strongly considering a rep, so I wanted to throw it out there and remind people that it's definitely possible to score a good deal on a non-rep. Especially when it comes to TAGs, as they're not ultra expensive. (When it comes to Panerai or Bell & Ross, there's no way I'm going to be buying a genuine edition any time soon... and one of those may be my next rep purchase.)

Anyway, enjoy your watches!

Good catch and good advice!

You can find excellent deals on smaller watches (the ones that are less than 40mm).

Breitlings, Omegas, TAGs, etc.

I also like the 2000 series. Shoot some pics and share with us!

Thanks By-Tor. And thanks for all your very informative posts and reviews, they have been really helpful to read.

I'm torn in general when it comes to reps... Due to limited funds there is no way I'll be able to buy genuine models of all the watches I want. Reps seem like a nice way to experience the watch without the huge cash outlay. At the same time, there is the obvious "official" feeling that only comes from a genuine watch.

Ethically, I feel that if you're buying a rep to appreciate a watch you can't afford, it's good. If you're buying it to show off, and somehow pretend that you can afford a Rolex or the like, then it's not permissible!

I'll post pictures of the 2000 when I get it. Are there any good 2000 auto reps out there? I'm certain that the one I'm buying is authentic, but I'd be interested to see what the rep market has to offer for the same watch.

Bob

Thanks man. Glad you have enjoyed my articles.

Well you can be absolutely certain that there is no good rep of the TAG 2000 available. Generally they go for around $500 preowned, so a ETA-based rep wouldn't make any sense.

There used to be a cheap rep of the Aquaracer non-chrono, but it wasn't very good quality.

I love mine! Paid a little more ($450), but bought it 5 years ago.

04_3.jpg

The only thing I dislike about it is that the crown is very small.

Still manages to stay in the rotation even though I have started to drift toward bigger watches. I have a small wrist, so it still looks good on me. Someone with an 8" wrist is going to hate though ... :)

Edited by tomhorn

But then again people used to wear 35mm watches on ANY kinds of wrists just 10 years ago. Very few models were over 40mm. Rolex 40mm was considered very large watch.

The big watch thing (over 42mm) has been going on for about 5-6 years only. Maybe the trend changes and these older <40mm watches become fashionable (and more desirable) again. Now they're ridiculously cheap... so people who like them have plenty of great choices.

Great looking watches guys! Robbie, was the Exclusive released after the general 2000 series was discontinued? I don't know my TAG timeline that well, but I believe there were 3 versions of the 2000 before it became the Aquaracer... The "2000", the "2000 Classic" and the "2000 Exclusive".

Tomhorn - great watch! I love the blue face. Mine has the silver face, but the blue is really striking.

I have a smaller (7") wrist, so I've never been a fan of huge watches. I'm warming up to them slowly though, and might venture into bigger territory for my next purchase.

Speaking of watch size, I know the 2000 series (and maybe all TAGs from a while ago) came in 3 sizes. Men's, Women's, and a 3rd in-between size (which may have been called "Boy's"? The mid-sized watch seems like something not many people would be interested in these days.

The mid-sized watch seems like something not many people would be interested in these days.

Exactly. Just look at the price difference with these following models in the preowned market:

Speedmaster Moon Watch = premium price

Speedmaster "reduced" = Significantly cheaper

Omega "Bond" SMP full size = premium price

Midsize version = Cheap as hell

Tudor Submariner = Expensive, becoming scary expensive

Tudor Mini-Sub: Cheap as hell

I have also noticed that you can get a Ebel Sports Classic and those 38mm 1911 models for bargain prices, but all 41-43mm versions cost a ton. Exactly the same thing with vintage SMP's... those vintage Seamasters that have large cases are VERY expensive.

We don't even have to mention the preowned Rolex market... only the 40mm sports models are desirable among the buyers... and very expensive (GMT Master, Sub, Dweller, Explorer II, Daytona) but you'll be lucky if you get $800 for your Air-King or Oyster Precision. Explorer I and/or DateJust never become very collectible, either.

Exactly. Just look at the price difference with these following models in the preowned market:

Speedmaster Moon Watch = premium price

Speedmaster "reduced" = Significantly cheaper

Omega "Bond" SMP full size = premium price

Midsize version = Cheap as hell

Tudor Submariner = Expensive, becoming scary expensive

Tudor Mini-Sub: Cheap as hell

I have also noticed that you can get a Ebel Sports Classic and those 38mm 1911 models for bargain prices, but all 41-43mm versions cost a ton. Exactly the same thing with vintage SMP's... those vintage Seamasters that have large cases are VERY expensive.

We don't even have to mention the preowned Rolex market... only the 40mm sports models are desirable among the buyers... and very expensive (GMT Master, Sub, Dweller, Explorer II, Daytona) but you'll be lucky if you get $800 for your Air-King or Oyster Precision. Explorer I and/or DateJust never become very collectible, either.

Very interesting points. The Air-King is a nice watch. Almost in my price range! :D

Wow, I had no idea the preowned Rolex market was priced so low for the smaller watches. How old would those be? Are you talking 1960's and 70's, or more modern watches? I may need to look into them a bit closer.

This forum is terrible for my wallet!

Maybe Air-Kings beg for a bit higher price... but this was the first result from TZ sales forum... an Oyster Date Precision. This went for $1200 and it had full RSC treatment.

I've seen them go for $800. Not much money for a gen Rolex, eh?

Regardless of the brand, everything below 40mm is cheap these days.

Tomhorn - great watch! I love the blue face. Mine has the silver face, but the blue is really striking.

I have a smaller (7") wrist, so I've never been a fan of huge watches. I'm warming up to them slowly though, and might venture into bigger territory for my next purchase.

Speaking of watch size, I know the 2000 series (and maybe all TAGs from a while ago) came in 3 sizes. Men's, Women's, and a 3rd in-between size (which may have been called "Boy's"? The mid-sized watch seems like something not many people would be interested in these days.

Here's a quick 'wristy' on me (6.75") for reference ...

tag_2000_2.jpg

Mine is the 38mm version, which I hope is the Men's ... :D