When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do with this Tudor dial ?

tonio_fr

Hello,

I recently found the following dial. Here is the description of the previous owner.

RARE 1970s Mens Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner Matt-Black Dial

Description: Matt-black dial. White hour markers - please note markers are not luminous.

Circa: 1970s

Measurements: diameter 26 mm approx. Dial legs at 11 mins & 41 mins.

Calibre: Unknown

Overall Condition of Dial : Very good

Notes: 100% Original Tudor.

Not even sure it is not a fake...

So what to do with this one. In which kind of case shoult it be installed ? what mvt & hand, etc....

Here it is:

tudordial.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help !

Wow, nice. Now all you need is a Tudor crown guard, and you can be on your way of making a Tudor Submariner. Or maybe it's more profitable to sell it to someone who actually has a Tudor Submariner and wants to swap out their dial.

Edited by By-Tor
No big deal but please don't quote pictures. Thanks.

Wow, nice. Now all you need is a Tudor crown guard, and you can be on your way of making a Tudor Submariner. Or maybe it's more profitable to sell it to someone who actually has a Tudor Submariner and wants to swap out their dial.

do you know what kind of case could be use for this project ? I not a expert at all but I really like these tudor sub, so I would like to start collecting pieces...

Thanks in advance for your help

do you know what kind of case could be use for this project ? I not a expert at all but I really like these tudor sub, so I would like to start collecting pieces...

Thanks in advance for your help

I thought Tudor Subs use the same parts as Rolex Subs since Rolex makes the Tudor parts. I don't know, I could be wrong though.

I thought Tudor Subs use the same parts as Rolex Subs since Rolex makes the Tudor parts. I don't know, I could be wrong though.

I meant what kind of old style case chould be the best to start from ? One with lugholes at least but a also on with plexy vintage style. A mbk-rlx-5512 may be. Does it make sens .

I am learning, knowing it will be a long road, but for sure here is the place place to have all the help and knowlege needed

Waiting for all other advices

If you are to do this it is of some importance that you know what you want with it yourself, how to do and have a plan how to get there....the asked questions might be part of that journey...the up side is that you are watch crazy enough to dream yourself this Tudor and I bet you will love it when it is completed

and the quest for the perfect replica continues............ :1a:

The dial needs a 278x movement to fit correctly. The dial feet are too big to fit a 2836/2846/2824/2892. You could always snip the dial feet off, but that solution is less than ideal, especially when it can be installed correctly with dial feet intact using the right movement.

The dial needs a 278x movement to fit correctly. The dial feet are too big to fit a 2836/2846/2824/2892. You could always snip the dial feet off, but that solution is less than ideal, especially when it can be installed correctly with dial feet intact using the right movement.

I agree but do not know how difficult it is to source this kind of movement. Can you help me in my quest ? I must admit I felt in love with this tudor beauty...

Edited by tonio_fr

First of all, great find. Watcho sells good stuff and you got this for a great price.

That dial is for a 9401. It will not work on a Tudor 390 or a 2483.

You could use a 2784 if you so desired but the movement that that dial is normally paired with is the 2776 no date.

That is the last dial variation for the 9401 and was discontinued when they issued the 76100. That late 9401 and 9411's used this dial at the same time that the transistion 76100 was being made.

While it might seem strange, this dial came with both the snowflake hands as well as the lollipop (not mercedes) hands.

2776 25j is absolutely correct for a 9401/0, however I made the recommendation for the 2784 as it's a little easier to source a la carte.

Here's a little hint in the search to finding a 2776 eta non date movement......

Octo lakemaster..... ;-)

rgds

Johnny b

• 2 years later...