When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WM9 Yachtmaster

Mickey Padge

I purchased this watch a while ago from the RWG member watch sales area, had quite a scare in fact. I saw it for sale and jumped on it, paid up promptly as always, and then a few hours later the seller was banned! ARG!!! :o

So I experienced a couple of weeks of purgatory, wondering if I had been ripped off..... However all was well, and in fact the seller was a perfect gent, very helpful and quick to reply to my emails.....

Anyway enough chat from me, here are some pictures, click to expand:

dsc02452p.th.jpgdsc02454r.th.jpgdsc02457v.th.jpg

dsc02455z.th.jpgdsc02456t.th.jpgdsc02461s.th.jpg

dsc02459.th.jpgdsc02463o.th.jpgdsc02464b.th.jpg

dsc02457.jpg

This watch is so damn fine! Great quality, I don't even know where to start! Fantastic end links, date mag, crown guards, correct thinner case profile (no other rep has this) and of course superlumed dial/hands etc...... :p^_^

This watch uses the ETA2824, which is a bonus, as I thought it may have had the Asian 2892 clone, so I lucked out there too. If you are on the fence about these WM9 Rolex watches, get off it, you will never find a better Rolex outside of a gen.....

Thanks for looking, comments and observations welcome! B)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good MP! I have a WM9 on it's way to me, and seeing pictures like this only make me want it more :)

The Yachtmaster is a real grower, I love the silver coloured bezel (Platinum on the gen?) and the way there isn't too much contrast with the dial. It looks very classy, yet still sporty. It reminds me a little of the UN MMD's.

Thanks! ^_^

It was a scary time, but every cloud has a silver lining (or bezel?) B)

I can imagine it was, but, indeed, everything worked out well :) A totally awesome watch, I have a hunch you'll be giving it a lot of wrist time ;)

Looks good MP! I have a WM9 on it's way to me, and seeing pictures like this only make me want it more :)

The Yachtmaster is a real grower, I love the silver coloured bezel (Platinum on the gen?) and the way there isn't too much contrast with the dial. It looks very classy, yet still sporty. It reminds me a little of the UN MMD's.

As Mickey said, I think you'll really like it. I was immediately won over by the 3D bezel insert, it's a very classy watch. I just wish I hadn't trashed mine :lol:

Actually, I will wear it sparingly and for special occasions, I don't want to damage it, or even scratch the thing for that matter! :lol:

:D I'd always intended mine to be a beater, but I hadn't planned on having to use the crystal to replace the crystal in my GMT :D I'd also had an unfortunate accident with brushing the bezel insert, so it's probably best that I just source a new one, and keep this for parts :) Funnily, I felt the Yacht-Master was a bit 'obvious' for special occasions, and felt it worked better as a casual watch :)

Congrats! What a great replication this is... ie. typical WM9 standards.

I briefly owned a YM but I decided that it's not a watch for me. But man... this WM9 almost makes me reconsider. :wub:

Thanks By-Tor, I am wearing it now. I think it will find my wrist a great deal, so much for just special occasions! :lol:

I can't wait for the WM9 Sea-Dweller to finalise now, should be a sweet watch I hope! Glad I got on board that train at the first station ;)

One thing I should mention is the date mag and having to clean the crystal. With a black dial Rolex, I am forever cleaning around the date mag, as it really shows up marks there. The Yachtmasters plat dial hides all those smudges and smears, so I find myself at ease while wearing it, not fussing over the crystal :)

I am a sucker for "clean" watches, but I stop short of carrying a micro fibre cloth :lol:

Cheers! B)

MP-

I find that the Rolex Sapphy crystals and date mags make my OCD kick into high gear. I'm constantly wiping around the edges... Amazing how that little edge can collect so much dust and junk!

At any rate... The WM9 is a great rendition of the YM; in my opinion, the BEST out of the box! Not much needs be done with that one to make it stellar... It already comes that way!

At times, I miss mine...

:)

At times, I miss mine...

:)

You know what R... I knew you'd eventually sell it. :D

I know your tastes and YM is just a little bit "too much" for a hardcore Steel Rolex guy. I think the same way about YM... that's probably why I couldn't get myself to like the GMT IIc, either. They depart a bit too much of the original, classic Rolex sports design.

YM is very borderline though. At first I didn't like it at all but after seeing it "in the flesh" I fell in love... but it didn't last. I could tell many similar stories from my barchelor days. :D

I find that the Rolex Sapphy crystals and date mags make my OCD kick into high gear. I'm constantly wiping around the edges... Amazing how that little edge can collect so much dust and junk!

You and me both! :p That is one reason why wearing black dial Subs just irks me. This Yachtmaster is a relief to wear! :lol:

I am glad the Sea-Dweller has no date mag, as I know it will find my wrist for that reason alone :)

WM9 is the best bar none with Rolex reps without a doubt, now if he could just place those hour markers with a little more care......

I know your tastes and YM is just a little bit "too much" for a hardcore Steel Rolex guy. I think the same way about YM... that's probably why I couldn't get myself to like the GMT IIc, either. They depart a bit too much of the original, classic Rolex sports design.

YM is very borderline though. At first I didn't like it at all but after seeing it "in the flesh" I fell in love... but it didn't last. I could tell many similar stories from my barchelor days. :D

J- You know me very well :) I guess knowing each other for as long as we have (and since you and I run pretty similar in terms of taste), that's more or less a given :)

Funny how somethings just run hot or cold, despite drawing from some pretty major similarities.

That's funny. I am the same. Tried the Yachtie but sold it - too flashy for me.

Same with the GMT-IIc. I loved the replication, even wore it occasionally but then decided it was also....too flashy.

Back to my 5513 I went B)

I didn't actually consider the GMT IIc "too flashy". Something just wasn't right.

The new model is very nice watch as it is, but it also destroyed the great aviator tool watch as we know it. The traditions and the original "spirit" just isn't there. That watch is a "gimmick".

Same with the new Sub with bulky crown guards. Why downgrade something that was perfect for 40 years? I just don't get it.

The wm9 YM dial often has crooked 12, 9, and/or 6 markers like MP's 12 and 9 o'clock markers here:

dsc02457.jpg

and TShoot's 9 and 6 o'clock markers here:

ResizeofWM9_YM020.jpg

and olorin65's 12 o'clock marker here:

BK_YM_800x1000.jpg

It's my fault to miss it on Tshoot's and olorin65's YMs which came from me. From now on I stare at every dial till I go blind and fix the markers. They are quite easy to fix.

I fixed Tshoot's already. Here's how it looks now:

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

-bk