When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building Franken UPO: Need Advice

Steve52

Hey watch fans! :hi:

I've sent my UPO :throb: off to Vac :1a: to have some gen parts added and need some advice.

Here's what 's being done:

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Gen Crown and tube

Gen HE valve

full service

I was thinking of having the crystal AR done by Chief, but now I'm wondering if I should just go all the way with the mod and get a gen crystal. Total gen mod. I think there's an AR crystal available. What do you think? :help:

Sure appreciate your advice!

:band1:

Thanks Michael! Good to hear from you. Thanks to MasterofPuppets too!

I think it would get it back in my hands faster, and probably only about $75 more than CT's AR. I was thinking the same thing. What the heck! Like I said, in for a nickel, in for....a lot! :bangin:

I have an email into Vac to find out. I'll let you know what I do.

I have the black /white dial PO with the genuine xtal

I have the orange (pumpkin) dial with chiefs ar

Both are frankens, with genuine dials

side by side .. I would go with chiefs ar .. hands down ...everytime

re: the genuine "plume hue" can be a distraction in direct lighting

chiefs has a very, very slight "plum hue" in direct lighting that does not hinder the visibility of the dial.. ergo better light absorbtion, with the wave legnths of

light.

and chiefs xtal brings out more detail in the dial.

I would equate chiefs ar to that of the genuine UN's .. the anomally will be,.. that at times it will appear you have "NO" crystal on your case..

How Cool is that ?? B)

Problem.. down time for your watch due to it not having a xtal

Solution.. I have a spare PO xtal.. that can be used for chiefs next run.. after you swap the crystal send me back the rep crystal

Hands down.. regardless of the so called "hassle" (thems my words no one elses statement of fact) .. you would be missing out if you don't go with chiefs ar..

it will maake your PO so unique !!!!

the extra "yard" is what ..imo .. this hobby is all about.. it's "the passion" ;)

A~C

Lani

edit add.. urabus.. dunno if I can find um... I'm on my LT at a coffee shop and have all my files at home .. :)

found um...

Black/whit dial: Genuine xtal/AR

Orange (Pumpkin) rep xtal Chiefs/AR

These images are not over exposed.. just wanted the light to be extreme.. to illustrate the light absorbtion..

If your thinking that the genuine has more direct light on it.. both dials have direct lighting facing dead on with the dials

dsc0027li1.jpg

csc0040fy7.jpg

csc0045mr2.jpg

Notice the pearl in the orange bezel.. that is more OEM spec than the rep.. I got it from the bay.. "wholesale outlet". the only problem is you have to purchase the whole insert.. which is OEM specs and will not fit into the rep bezel.. it is smaller by a minute fraction of a mm and thicker..

but for me it was easier to spend 60 usd than over 200 for the genuine bezel that needs extreme modding to work.. plus the fact that for the total price of "that" franken you may as well buy a used genuine..

To Clarify ..

I DO NOT have a spare Chief AR xtal..

I HAVE a spare UPO rep xtal ..

my solution was to "front" you my spare rep xtal to send to chiefs next run.. and when you make the swap wned me back the rep xtal that you have in your UOP now.

sorry if you thought I have a spare chiefs xtal...... I had planned to send it into chief so I could start a rotation with members.. but I missed this last run.

the wait will be painful.. but such is the predicament of our hobby.. it's the sourcing and then the wait that is inherent with watches.. B)

Maybe I'm a bit off today! :bangin:

You send your crystal to Vac who sends to CT for AR, then when xtal is returned to Vac he does the switch and sends you my rep xtal.

Do I have it now?

;)

Chief is awesome! I've been a member of this board since December and everyone I've PMed with questions, those that have commented on posts I've made, all are great. What a supportive community! Finding this place was like coming home to me!

Thanks Chief!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think a gen bezel is pretty expensive, and I've read that it is not an exact match. Difficult mod? If it is, that's something I can do later (after I've saved up some more cash!).

I think a gen bezel is pretty expensive, and I've read that it is not an exact match. Difficult mod? If it is, that's something I can do later (after I've saved up some more cash!).

the bezel for the 2 experts here on the board.. I'm sure is not "difficult" .. time consuming.. let's add some of these frankens up

Gen dial ~ 200+

Gen xtal ~ 200+

crown, tube/hands/He valve ~ say 130+

if you add a genuine bezel say 300 or a little less

plus add in the modding fees

if you do the math that is very close to a used genuine .. with the genuine bezel .. it is not an exact fit.. so why get a genuine bezel if it has to be dremeled to fit ?? plus the cost.. and the rep bezel is not a dead give away nor is it badly made.. B)

I guess my point would also be the PO is not a rare .. grail.. watch.. so I like what you have planned .. I know you will enjoy it immensley!!

regardless Steve congrats on the support from Chief ! he is a Gent no doubt !!

here's more eye candy ..

this pic is with Chiefs xtal .. you cannot get anymore direct sunshine on the xtal than this.. it does have a hue .. but not one that over shadows the dial.

poandsmpchrono011i.jpg

probably the most glare you;'ll get is through your window.. see the gorgeous "Plume hue"

poandsmpchrono028.jpg

and for your next project..

the SMP Chrono genuine model does not have any AR.. but since Chiefs AR has no tell~ tale sign.. except the illusion of "no crystal"

consider this... The crystal makes the dial .ZZZINNNNNNGGGGGG !!! B)

20496835.jpg

Thanks Lanikai!! Those are truly great pics and I can't wait to get the Chief AR on that watch. Urabus told me the gen bezel was expensive, but I didn't realize it was that much. I agree with you, I think the money would be better spent on the next project, or just building my collection - I bought an SOH from an RWG member today!

Hey, I like your den!!! When I'm in Hawaii visiting my daughter I'll hit you up for a tour! :D

Again, thanks for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...
just need a confirmation from the bros here:

Gen crystal should fit UPO with no issue at all?

any minor modding needs to be done or is it a perfect fit?

The gen crystal fits just fine so long as you dont have the silix upo (the case is slightly smaller on the silix).

Theres a good tutorial over on the geek about installing the crystal, dial hands etc.

For Steve52

RE Chief's AR. Apart from the slight difference in colouring to gen (read - better) I've read it's also tougher and more resistant to scratches.

Here's pics of my 3 year old gen.

post-3909-1245224236_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1245224275_thumb.jpg

Not the best of pics, but aside from the blue hue from the overhead lights, you should be able to see fine lines.

These are in the outer AR on the crystal.

They're not normally visible under normal consitions so it's not like the watch is constantly screaming "I'M SCRATCHED YOU IDIOT..."

But tilting under the right lighting you can see them.

Obviously a close up pic exagerates the effect.

How did they get there? Buggered if I know. I look after my watches.

So all I can assume is it's from rubbing under shirt cuffs and the like. Certainly the watch hasn't had any significant impacts or knocks.

What I understand is that the gen AR is a little soft. Chief's AR is more resistant, so should not pick up fine marks like the gen does.

Which in the end is a big plus again to Chief's process......

BTW - if this is your first dealing with VAC be sure you're in good hands. Pleasure to deal with, and excellent work. And very safe.....