When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Ebel?

By-Tor

Thanks all.

If you're looking for an Ebel, go for preowned. Skool is right... the resale value is poor and great deals can be made. Bricktop (an old RWG1 vet) bought one.

I don't know what these are actually selling for... but BTR chronograph retails at $7.350 in the US... the actual selling price used to be around 5K. 2K pounds sounds very low for the chrono version as it has a very sophisticated inhouse movement that they developed together with Breguet. But who knows... maybe all luxury items are getting sold very cheap now, due to the recession.

There are also some very, very expensive models in the BTR line (complications, etc. in the 25K range or so). Discovery is the cheaper model and it has a standard 7750... maybe you mix them up, or think about non-chrono versions?

I'm considering a gen eventually... but maybe I'll go for the classic 1911 chronograph instead.

I totally agree!! I just picked up the wee gem you see below from fellow member DVN. (Who by the way has some of THE nicest watches, I've bought from him before and they are all mint condition, if you see one of his you like jump on it!!) I have the BTR in black, also from a fellow member rhack1, whos watches are as good if not better than the aforementioned DVN, again, if seen jump on it right away!!

Anyway, I digress, as usual, I have loved the Ebels for a few years now, they started to come out of the 'underground avantegarde' about 3 or 4 years ago and started showing up in mens magazines like GQ etc, about the same time as Hublot actually but I have never understood why they haven't been as popular as the HBB's, maybe not big and brash enough for most. The Ebel is amazingly understated, beautifully timeless (no pun intended) in it's design, I mean look at By-Tor's picture and tell me that won't still be gorgeous in 10 years?! For me a true sleeping beauty if ever there was one!!

post-18919-1243985044_thumb.jpg

post-18919-1243985022_thumb.jpg

I have developed a weird fetish for the full gold model of the 1911 chrono... not the older 39mm version that had El Primero, but the newer 41mm version with inhouse Modulor movement. It's strange as I'm not a big gold fan at all (usually).

Ebel-1215495.jpg

I know I wouldn't even wear this one... it's just way too much. But I wouldn't mind owning this watch... it's just... well, perfect.