When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asking for photos of the watch you want to buy...

Member X

Hey all,

I apologise if this is a n00b topic!

As I understand it, ordering a watch off one of the dealers on here is usually a smooth transaction, and to give you peace of mind it appears that most dealers will be willing to photograph the actual watch they are sending before they send it, to make sure you're happy with it (and to make sure they don't have to deal with any returns, of course).

I would have thought that this logic extended to everyone but apparently not - I have had emails this week with somewhere making/selling 'own brand' watches (NOT one of the dealers on here) and I am a little surprised by what he has said... :mellow:

I pointed out that a couple of the roman numeral indices were wonky on the picture on the website (such as the separate I's in the III not all being perfectly straight/aligned) and asked if it was possible for them to check the watches before they are sent out. (The website wording says they are big on QC.)

I also asked if it was possible to get a picture of the watch when I was ordering.

Now, I don't think I asked anything majorly bad there, did I?

His response was, to paraphrase:

• Don't consider our watches seriously.
  • These issues are normal due to the rough [his emphasis] guilloche dial.
  • The photo on the website was taken to point out that this happens.
  • We can't offer perfection at this price point.
  • Do you look at your watch with a magnifying glass all the time?
  • You have the right to choose your watch but this is not a 2-way transaction - I have a camera on my desk but won't take a photo as it's not justified at the price point.
  • Good luck finding what you're looking for. [sarcasm, anyone?]

:huh:

I'm willing to accept that a watch will have flaws but if they have five on a shelf and one is better than the rest, I would like to think that they might make just a little extra effort to make a sale and, potentially, future sales - I was actually thinking about buying a second watch later as I like the other models they sell a lot, but now I'm not sure I want to, on principle alone.

And the price point on these? Around US$170.

So am I wrong to ask for photos at that price? Am I being unrealistic? Is that a reasonable response from him? I was looking forward to ordering one but I'm hesitating as I'm unsure if I'm happy with how his attitude comes across :(

Sorry for the rant, any advice gratefully received :)

I think that good customer service is a requisite at any price point. If you received the above answers from a simple inquiry, just imagine how fun it would be if you had to deal with an after sales problem or issue after receiving the watch. In my opinion, he did you a favor. You now know that your money is better spent with someone who IS willing to take care of you and is willing to earn your sale. I've walked from some big purchases because of the attitudes of some sales people- The pricing was fair and reasonable, but in my opinion, their arrogance was not. So, out of principle, I left and ended up spending more elsewhere, but was treated with dignity and respect.

While $170 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a little either. And if a second purchase was a possibility, sounds like he just lost some return business. In the current economic climate, I would think that people and businesses would try a little harder, but I guess some don't need to make that money (apparently).

Thanks for the replies, all.

I'm glad I'm not going mad or asking the earth!

It's a real shame as I really do like the piece, but I don't feel happy giving someone money just to insult me. <_<

I've contacted one of the dealers here instead and think I will be spending my money with them instead!

Gutted, but ce la vie...

I wouldn't be surprised at some of the dealers on here and some of their replies. Some are pretty much the same.

Anyways, Hont and now Chris offer pics before you buy. Hont is well regarded in the other forums and a true man of his word. Never bought from Chris, but might do so now.

Edited by If you see Kay

Hey all,

I apologise if this is a n00b topic!

Nothing to apologize for, it's a reasonable question to ask :) A couple of points...

As I understand it, ordering a watch off one of the dealers on here is usually a smooth transaction, and to give you peace of mind it appears that most dealers will be willing to photograph the actual watch they are sending before they send it, to make sure you're happy with it (and to make sure they don't have to deal with any returns, of course).

Many dealers here are drop-shippers, so cannot always offer that service. That said, there are dealers here who can, and do provide photos of the specific watch purchased :)

His response was, to paraphrase:

• Don't consider our watches seriously.
  • These issues are normal due to the rough [his emphasis] guilloche dial.
  • The photo on the website was taken to point out that this happens.
  • We can't offer perfection at this price point.
Those I would consider to be reasonable and honest responses...

Do you look at your watch with a magnifying glass all the time?
You have the right to choose your watch but this is not a 2-way transaction - I have a camera on my desk but won't take a photo as it's not justified at the price point.
Good luck finding what you're looking for. [sarcasm, anyone?]

Those are just rudeness... Point one, no, people might not look at their watch through a lens all the time, but, that does not mean that certain noticeable details should not be accurate... As for price justified, when I've sold stuff here, if I've ever been asked for another photo of the item, I have always provided it. Okay, so it might take 10 minutes to set up the shot, get the detail required, upload the photo to a hosting account and then email the intersted party, but if I'm selling something, and someone wants a better look, then that 10 minutes is what is required, just like any other job where people have to 'go through the motions' to close a transaction/finalize a project. To say it's not justified at that price point, is utterly rude, and I bet an attitude which that person would never tolerate from sales staff, if they were the one making the purchase. I wouldn't call the 'good luck' sarcasm, but text can be harder to interpret than verbal communications... Maybe they meant well, maybe they were just trying to stick the knife in one more time, if it's the latter, then the laugh's on them, as chances are you will be able to find a dealer who will be able to meet your requirements. Personally, I've always been satisfied with the 'stock shot' on the website. I'm not so concerned about individual details that I want to see exactly which watch I'm getting... As long as it's the right model, and has been reasonably well put together, I'm happy :)

I completely agree with you, Teejay. So little extra effort is required to do a quick and dirty shot of the watch that's being ordered that it shows complete contempt for buyers if you consider it not worth your while to do to get a sale.

I can only rely on my friend Karma to make sure that my feelings of frustration get back to the guilty party! lol

Annoyingly, Perpetual only appear to be selling watches direct now, so I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to get them from elsewhere :( I think I'll keep an eye on the sales forum here, given that I don't actually want to give Perpetual any money now anyway ;) lol

I was ready to pull the trigger as well! Their loss!!

Thanks again for the replies all, and apologies for the rant! :D

Edited by Member X

I completely agree with you, Teejay. So little extra effort is required to do a quick and dirty shot of the watch that's being ordered that it shows complete contempt for buyers if you consider it not worth your while to do to get a sale.

I can only rely on my friend Karma to make sure that my feelings of frustration get back to the guilty party! lol

Annoyingly, Perpetual only appear to be selling watches direct now, so I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to get them from elsewhere :( I think I'll keep an eye on the sales forum here, given that I don't actually want to give Perpetual any money now anyway ;) lol

I was ready to pull the trigger as well! Their loss!!

Thanks again for the replies all, and apologies for the rant! :D

You're quite right, it just shows a real lack of respect for the buyer. Of course, it could just be a bluff so as not to admit to being a drop-shipper, but either way, it's a disrespectful attitude to take, afterall, we may be buying replica watches, but we're not paying with replica money, and given the profits a dealer can make, a little courtesy isn't a big price to pay... As you say, Karma will make sure they get theirs :tu: I'm not familiar with Perpetual, but I'll certainly steer well clear in future if I ever come across them, so no need to apologize for the rant, it's such posts which reveal potential (or repeat) issues with a dealer, and that's useful to all the community :)