When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

double red... single red... a few questions

ahchard

well... I have been thinking of getting a MBW/WM drsd or srsd... did some research on the internet as well as on RWG1 and TRC...

What I found was... the srsd seems to be a very rare rep? even rarer than the drsd...is this true? if so... I would lean more towards getting the drsd... also... looking at a few pics of gens of the srsd... the caseback for the reps seems quite off... or did they have different versions of the srsd again???

any help would be greatly appreciated... cheers!

I see ubiquitous reading this topic, he's the expert on this... hope for a reply! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree with getting the MBW/WM as they have 1:1 cases (as far as I know) and genuine parts will fit them.

If you are going to get a 1665 replica, you're best off buying a DRSD or all white SD. The Single Red (SRSD) is a very unique piece, and is quite different from the 1665 that we all know today. The SRSD was the very first Sea Dweller to exist, debuting in 1967. The first two prototypes used Submariner cases, and lacked the Helium Escape Valve. The He Valve made it's debut on the Submariner 5514, which was issued to COMEX divers only. The use of the He Valve proved to be very beneficial to the deep sea divers, and became a feature on the 1665's (which still had the SRSD dial and still used Submariner cases). The SRSD dial is also unique in that the depth was signed 500M = 1650FT. After initial testing, and a change to the thicker 1665 case, the dial was changed to the DRSD dial with even greater depth ratings signed; 2000ft = 610m. With the initial run of DRSD pieces, the caseback is signed 'Patent Pending', as the patent for the He Valve was still pending approval. As such is the case it is clear to see that the initial batch of Sub cased SRSD's was very limited; these initial 1665's were issued to divers for testing, and over the testing procedure of analysis and servicing, many dials were subsequently replaced with the DRSD dial (along with tubes, crowns, etc.). With this in mind, it is easy to see that the SRSD is a very rare piece indeed.

Now, getting back to the SRSD rep- Since these watches used a slimmer Submariner case, the replica is simply too thick as it uses the standard 1665 case. Granted, there won't be too many people out there who will even know what a SRSD is, let alone a 1665, but if you're after accuracy, I would suggest the DRSD or the WSD over the SRSD any day of the week.

Interesting article on the single red SD which is an extraordinarily rare watch.

http://www.tcjj.com/seadweller.html

As Ubi mentioned, the white SD is also an excellent choice and the MBW's dial is excellent Not as rare or expensive in the collectors' market as the RR so you may feel more comfortable with it. White SD's remain relatively affordable in vintage SD land at the 7K price range. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jetsons

well... I have been thinking of getting a MBW/WM drsd or srsd... did some research on the internet as well as on RWG1 and TRC...

What I found was... the srsd seems to be a very rare rep? even rarer than the drsd...is this true? if so... I would lean more towards getting the drsd... also... looking at a few pics of gens of the srsd... the caseback for the reps seems quite off... or did they have different versions of the srsd again???

any help would be greatly appreciated... cheers!

well this is a very interesting question...

If you are going to get a 1665 replica, you're best off buying a DRSD or all white SD. The Single Red (SRSD) is a very unique piece, and is quite different from the 1665 that we all know today. The SRSD was the very first Sea Dweller to exist, debuting in 1967. The first two prototypes used Submariner cases, and lacked the Helium Escape Valve. The He Valve made it's debut on the Submariner 5514, which was issued to COMEX divers only. The use of the He Valve proved to be very beneficial to the deep sea divers, and became a feature on the 1665's (which still had the SRSD dial and still used Submariner cases). The SRSD dial is also unique in that the depth was signed 500M = 1650FT. After initial testing, and a change to the thicker 1665 case, the dial was changed to the DRSD dial with even greater depth ratings signed; 2000ft = 610m. With the initial run of DRSD pieces, the caseback is signed 'Patent Pending', as the patent for the He Valve was still pending approval. As such is the case it is clear to see that the initial batch of Sub cased SRSD's was very limited; these initial 1665's were issued to divers for testing, and over the testing procedure of analysis and servicing, many dials were subsequently replaced with the DRSD dial (along with tubes, crowns, etc.). With this in mind, it is easy to see that the SRSD is a very rare piece indeed.

Now, getting back to the SRSD rep- Since these watches used a slimmer Submariner case, the replica is simply too thick as it uses the standard 1665 case. Granted, there won't be too many people out there who will even know what a SRSD is, let alone a 1665, but if you're after accuracy, I would suggest the DRSD or the WSD over the SRSD any day of the week.

@ubiquitos tnx for the answer...i know nothing about Rolex watches....but now i know little more tnx to you!

Hi, Ubi,

Can you elaborate a little bit more about the White SD please.

Much appriciated.

Thanks, Nanug,

So, in other words, the WSD is the production model after the DRSD and are not as rare..?

@Tutima

The WSD is the baseline 1665. It lacks the red "SUBMARINER 2000" text of the DRSD, and simply has the line "SEA-DWELLER" in white.

Much like the standard Red Submariner with its red text, the SRSD has red text for the words SEA-DWELLER.

The standard Submariner and standard Sea-dweller have white text on their dials for those identifying lines.

If you can contact the Master you will not be dissapointed. I got a double red from him.

I ordered a double red from lucky (MBW) but he shipped a single red with the promise of a new dial when they become available. The Master took pp but Lucky required Western Union which was 40 bucks :yuk:

All in all they are both great watches.

I really wanted to do a side by side with the same watch from both suppliers.

I am planning on sending both out to have some mods done.

I will try to post some pics of pre mod post mod when they are done.

Cris

As Ubi mentioned, the white SD is also an excellent choice and the MBW's dial is excellent Not as rare or expensive in the collectors' market as the RR so you may feel more comfortable with it. White SD's remain relatively affordable in vintage SD land at the 7K price range.

This is why I went for the white SD over the Double Red (on its way through the air even as we speak I hope!). It just feels a bit more "believable" on the wrist, at least for someone in my income bracket.

Also, there's a strong awareness in WIS world that the DRSD is widely faked. Are there as many rep WSDs around? Not sure.