When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Australia - Any advice?

b16a2

This is a question for the Australian members amongst us....I know there are quite a few so hopefully I can get some light shed on my query :)

My friend is flying out to Cairns tomorrow and is travelling the East coast for 10 months (ending in Melbourne). Due to work commitments at the end of the summer I can't do the same. I am going to fly out there for four weeks and meet them in Cairns. We will probably stay there for a couple of weeks, then move south a bit. My flight would be back from Cairns four weeks later.

My question is.....if I stay in hostels, and we treck south, how easy would it be to travel back to Cairns to fly back to the UK? I would imagine in four weeks I wouldn't make it that far from Cairns, but if I do, are internal flights fairly easy to get at the last minute? I suppose if the flight isn't an option, there would be a good train network to get me back North to Cairns?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Yes it would be very easy to either take a train or one of our little domestic Airlines (Tiger, Rex etc) but if you don't go far enough South to meet offshore he is going to be pissed.

Oh and don't swim in the sea or the rivers, to many hungry nasties around that way.

Ken

b16a2,

I am based on the Gold Coast, approx 1/2 way between Cairns and Melbourne (2000 kms south of Cairns.)

When you say you are going to "trek" south, I take it you aren't considering walking? :rolleyes:

There is a well developed transport network on the east coast, buses, trains, and planes.

With the airline fare wars, there are daily opportunities for very cheap fares, although these tend to be for intermediate hauls between lesser towns and cities, and it is rare to see heavily discounted fares for travel between major destinations. (although they do happen)

Backpacking on the east coast is a major tourism event, and there are many hostels, special bus and train offers etc.

You would have little trouble arranging a flight to most destinations with 24 hours notice.

Hope this gives you a starting point, and if you have any specific queries, shoot me a PM.

Offshore

Yes it would be very easy to either take a train or one of our little domestic Airlines (Tiger, Rex etc) but if you don't go far enough South to meet offshore he is going to be [censored].

Oh and don't swim in the sea or the rivers, to many hungry nasties around that way.

Ken

Il make sure I stay away from the 'nasties' I would like to come back with all limbs attached :)

b16a2,

I am based on the Gold Coast, approx 1/2 way between Cairns and Melbourne (2000 kms south of Cairns.)

When you say you are going to "trek" south, I take it you aren't considering walking? :rolleyes:

There is a well developed transport network on the east coast, buses, trains, and planes.

With the airline fare wars, there are daily opportunities for very cheap fares, although these tend to be for intermediate hauls between lesser towns and cities, and it is rare to see heavily discounted fares for travel between major destinations. (although they do happen)

Backpacking on the east coast is a major tourism event, and there are many hostels, special bus and train offers etc.

You would have little trouble arranging a flight to most destinations with 24 hours notice.

Hope this gives you a starting point, and if you have any specific queries, shoot me a PM.

Offshore

Cheers Offshore,

I would imagine we'll use the bus to travel down the coast :) I think the plan is to stay in Cairns for a few weeks once Im there, so I would imagine that for the reminaing two weeks Im there I wouldn't get too far South.

Thanks for the information, that's what I was looking for really....just to make sure if i do end up further than spitting distance from Cairns, I can get back there for the flight home without too much hassle.

It's the 'winter months' at the moment isn't it? Do you think I would need any winter gear, or is it still pretty warm (Im used to the UK where even in the summer I have to defrost my hands in the mornings :) )

You will find it gets a bit cool in the evenings, down to 12 deg overnight, but it still will be up to mid 20's during the day. So you need a jacket/ parka after 4pm.

Depending on the level of exploring you undertake, you may be surprised how far you may travel. As Ken said, if you happen to get anywhere near Brisbane, I will be pissed if you don't give me a shout. We also have member Trailboss on the Sunshine Coast, just north of Brisbane, and I'm just south, so a GTG would be on the cards.

Ground transport has buses and trains daily between Cairns and Brisbane, and it is around 24 hours travel time.

By air it is only a couple of hours.

It would pay you to check the discount airlines, and get some idea of the specials offered, for instance Tiger airlines have some seriously cheap flights out of Melbourne at the moment, as long as you only have hand luggage. And there are any number of offers from the various companies. In a lot of cases, it can be cheaper to fly, than bus or train! Just need to do the research.

Offshore

Cairns is a long way from anywhere else, if you head out chances are it'll be a long way away or not at all. It's kind of easier to get to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane (or Tokyo!) from Cairns than some nearer places.

Personally I wouldn't waste valuable holiday time doing overland from Cairns - it's about 550km's to Airlie Beach, and 1500km to Brisbane. Check out the prices of flights.

Yep, from Cairns you'r next stop should be Airlie Beach and the Witsunday area. Don't forget the entire UK fits easily into Queensland!

There's a great bloke on RWI who lives in Cairns BTW. Coling, he does their member interviews. If you would like to contact him send me a PM. I'm shure he'd love to meet up and show you around. Acording to my master list of Aussie members across RWI, RWG2 and RWG1.1 there is a bloke in Rockhampton as well but that's about it for Queenslanders.

And yep, if you make it this far down you had better drop by. Got the room here to put you both up for a cpl of nights if you like, take a cpl of days off and show you some of the Great South East (of QLD that is). I'm on 40ac of rainforest so it's quite nice here :)

P7270185-1.jpg

P7270186.jpg

PM me for a phone number, you are more than welcome mate.

Col.

Thanks for the input everyone! Im going to try and find about travelling over there and flights this weekend. If make it over Il shoot you all a PM to arrange a GTG of sorts. If it falls through my back up plan is to get over next March to meet up with them and see the Melbourne GP :)