When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Tudor Sub Project

redwatch

Hi guys,

I am just loving the snowflake tudors that keep popping up in review and in wrist shots. After completing my SMP Chrono rebuild, I now have the bug to take on something a little more serious.

So with that being said, I would love to start the hunt for the parts needed for a Tudor Snowflake Sub (No Date). Can you help?

I am relatively new to RWG, so I am not all that familiar yet as to where I can source the parts I will need. Movements I can find, but cases and dials seem to be a little bit harder.

Any tips and direction would be superb! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I sincerely think you made the right choice for your next project :D

It's difficult to answer your question in fact.

It depends on how close you want it to be to the real deal and of course how much you want to spend <_<

One thing is sure: this place is the best one to source parts.

Post a WTB and you'll get replies from members wanting to part with their parts.

eBay isn't bad either or all the gen forums for dials in example.

I would say that you should start with a good dial first, and the hands of course.

That is how I build mine.

But be aware: it took me over a year to finish it :o

Good luck

A year is fine....or more. I am just looking forward to the journey of sourcing the parts and then building it. I think in the end, the finished product will have so much more meaning for me than a watch I purchase or trade for. That is the part that I am most looking forward to.

Now I have taken my first baby steps towards my new journey! :clapping:

I agree with Stephane- Start with the two hardest parts to procure and then work your way down from there. That first step is the dial. A no-date 7016 or 9401/0 dial can be pretty tricky to find, as most available are usually the 7021 or 9411 date model dials. They're out there, but they don't come up often. Best thing to do is to just keep on a diligent search. The second step is to get the line on a nice set of hands. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a set of matched dial and hands sold as a package. Doesn't always happen that way, but in some cases it's possible.

Once you have the dial and hands, you'll want to find a nice 2783/4 movement; for a no-date, you might also consider finding a 2461 or 2776 for the 7016 and 9401/0 respectively (as those are the correct calibers to use), however these are not always easy to procure in good working order. The 2783/4 with date removed works just as well and can be had at watch material houses like Ofrei for under $60.

Next course of business is to address the case- In my experience, I've found that MBW cases work well. They're not the most ideal as these are based off of Sub rep cases for the 5513 and 1680 and lack the neat Tudor engraving on the caseback (along with correct sized wrench recess, incorrect engraving at 12:00 and 6:00). To me, it's a moot point; I don't really look at the backs of these things anyways, and so it doesn't matter. If you want yours to be 100% correct on the outside, you may want to go with a Phong case, albeit a bit more expensive. Once you have decided on a case, you'll need a T-19 crystal, good quality bezel insert (gen is best, in my opinion) and a gen crown and tube. If you are going with an MBW case, have the lugs drilled and CG's shaped for better results.

Assemble and you're next focus should be on the bracelet. I wear mine on a gen mish-mash of 580 ends, 78360 links and a 93150 clasp. MBW offers a nice hollow link rep bracelet that works great, or you can go the route of the G10 like Lani :)

So... That's my rough outline on how I would approach the project. Hope it helps :)

IMG_1363.jpg

Red,

Both Stephane and Ubi have given you very detailed and concise direction. The only thing I might add would be to look for an already modified MBK/MBW 5512 or 5513 in the sales forum. If you are lucky, this piece will already come with a lot of the modifications that Ubi explained. You will just need the Tudor dial and hands and you good to go.

Fantastic suggestions guys! Thank you very much. I have been frantically searching around for dials, and I will continue to do so. Keeps me entertained in the morning as I have breakfast. And at lunch.....and at dinner......and watching TV........etc :D

Let the hunt begin!! :type:

Hopefully getting the stuff from Marble, but in the meantime, I've got another dial coming to me soon. Once I conclude my deal with Marble, I will probably put the un-used dial up for sale here on RWG (or keep it for a second project - we'll see :D )

Here's some pics:

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Hopefully getting the stuff from Marble, but in the meantime, I've got another dial coming to me soon. Once I conclude my deal with Marble, I will probably put the un-used dial up for sale here on RWG (or keep it for a second project - we'll see :D )

Here's some pics:

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

How much might you be wanting for it? I haven't any cash at the moment, but I'd certainly be interested in the future when I have :)

Ok, so this is what I have acquired so far (mostly everything is being shipped - so still waiting for its arrival).

Gen Tudor Dial

Gen Tudor 2784 movement

Gen Rolex Crown

Case stamped with correct markings for a 9411

Bezel & Insert (no pearl)

Spring Bars

Crystal with cyclops (not sure of the mag yet)

So, I still need the hands and pearl for the insert. I have a nice black NATO strap to put this all on. Is there anything else that I will need for this? Do the cases require the use of a movement holder of any kind?