When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 1680 Red Submariner

redwatch

Hi there. I just acquired this on the weekend and thought I would share some pics for you.

My new "Vintage" Rolex 1680 Submariner. Nato G10 and Bond Straps are on their way but in the meantime it's on a nice panatime.com nylon strap.

Vintage16803.jpg

Vintage16804.jpg

Vintage16801.jpg

Vintage16802.jpg

Vintage16805.jpg

I just love how the strap marks look on this! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Vintage16806.jpg

Close ups of the faded case markings:

Vintage16807.jpg

Vintage16808.jpg

Relumed hands and dial

1680_a.jpg

Check out the underside of an MBW stock crown guard... it droops down

drsd_2.jpg

Here's one that does not "droop" for comparison

P9250058.JPG

Droop vs. non-droop

lugs1.jpg

Ah, good question... I'm not sure. More is better, in my book :tu:

It's a gen tropic 127, and the Clarks replacement is about identical for magnification... and 1/2 or 1/3 the price.

Hmmmm... On 1680's and the sort, the date mag is more powerful due to the height of the crystal... Maybe more like 3x?

I agree w/ ubi on this. Although Rolex claims 2.5x, the 1680 looks closer to 3x due to the distance of the cyclops from the datewheel. Old 1675's will also have a slightly larger date due to the taller plastic crystal. Conversely, the 16800 can have a slightly smaller date mag than the 16610 due to the shallower rehaut and the same 295C crystal.

Tell me what you think this one is. My guess is that it is about 2x magnification. It just doesn't pop as much as Nanuq's does. Not that I am complaining or anything. I really like the look of this piece, but I am curious about what it should look like.

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

I've got a gen tropic 127. They're pretty readily available.

Are there any size issues with the rep cases? I remember reading another post about building a 1680 and you guys had mentioned issues with some cases not fitting a gen tropic crystal. I am not sure who's case this is either.

Ahhhhhh. You're right, the case differences will mess with your crystal options. Do you have calipers to measure the one you've got there? Who knows, maybe a gen will fit? How is the crystal affixed to the case? You might read up on the discussion we had as Freddy333 was building his 6542 GMT. He had a heck of a time getting the right attachment for crystal and bezel.

If your crystal is held on like the gen, you can almost remove it with a pocketknife. Ubi did a great writeup about R&R for tropic crystals.