When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7021 Submariner "Snowflake"

Pre V

P1020847.jpg

Having done some research online with regards to Tudor's Submariner range, in particular the Snowflake --- in reference to the angular-shaped hands that spells unique in comparisons to the lollipops.

2 years ago, the prices for genuine Tudor Snowflakes were hovering in the range of USD $ 1700-2500 depending on age, condition, and box & papers availability.

These days, they range between USD $ 2500 and onwards. Condition wise, give or take, these are vintages and I believe there are safe queens, but queens are not what I am looking for. I am looking for a Snowflake that have seen places and been exposed. :)

So last week, I was on the bay and this 1968 Tudor 7021 caught my eye. At 41 years old, this 7021 is indeed in pretty good condition with fair amount of desired scars. You bet! I was in love. Picked up the phone and called the seller and after a short negotiation, the deal was sealed.

This beloved snowflake just arrived minutes ago, so you guys are just about the first to view this Tudor, one that I will wrist very often.

Just this week saw the sale of a Steve McQueen 5512 "Circa 1967" sold at a whopping USD $ 234,000 at Antiquorium. Talk about vintage crazy people....I guess I have became one of them today. :)

P1020851.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020850.jpg

P1020843.jpg

P1020863.jpg

P1020854.jpg

question to the Tudor experts :

dial, hands, insert - case - does it look okay 2 you ?

I'm no expert but I can't see anything wrong with the case/dial/handset. The twinlock looks original (if it's not, me want some)

The bezel insert might be recent or aftermarket but it doesn't detract.

I'd love to see a picture of the caseback (inside and outside) and the movement, though.

Thank you my friends!

@ kruzer00 and vlydog: The datewheel on this 7021/0 is an alternating "Black and Red" version.

I understand all the concerns that have been addressed here. This is the 1st time I am venturing out in the Tudor genuine territory and having heard of a limited 1:1 Snowflake dial copies a decade ago got me shivering for a while a couple of hours ago.

When this Snowy arrived, immediately I took her to see a long time Tudor collector to have her examine, under both naked and microscopic-aided eyes. The case checked out OK with the correct engravings of serial and model number. The bracelet and end-links too are OK. The bezel insert is definitely an aftermarket but no biggie as I am looking to have it replaced with a gen 5513 insert with tritium pearl for a match.

Now, the big question is of course, the DIAL. In the photographs, one can't really see the apparent blemishes in between 11 and 12 o'clock, but there are fading lines.

So for the past couple of hours, my collector friend has been researching online for 7021 references and told me that the dial might be questionable. Having read Ubi's reply on red's thread on help on building a Franken Tudor, I saw his postings of his 2 gen dials. Immediately, I sent out an email to him citing Ubi's references (thanks Ubi!). As he has a Snowflake himself but in the 9xxx series, there were variations. However, it was Ubi's reference pictures that helped us ease up on the questionability of this Snowy.

The dial on this 7021/0 is very similar (if not identical) to Ubi's dials. I checked out the fonts distancing, fonts shape (especially the "O" with the left curve being thicker than the right curve of the "O").

So I was somehow reassured....*takes a breather*

This beauty has been wristed on me for the past couple of hours but somehow, the second hand seems to be stopping intermittently --- which spells out the need for a full service and strip down.

In the next 24 hours, I will have my watchmaker strip this baby down for a full-servicing and at the same time, check out the dial.

@ Ubi : I have placed the MC 7032 on hold for now since I have plonked quite a stash out on this Snowy. Just so happened that I recieved a contact from someone who has a Snowflake dial for sale --- this has transpired into a possible 2nd Snowflake but this time round a Franken. :) We'll see how that goes. Meanwhile a "Moonwatch" is calling out to me, the vintage versions.

Once again, it's been my dream to own a piece of historical goodness and thanks to Ubi, Lani and the rest of you Rolex fanatics that showcased your "Rolex Only" collections that made me take this leap. Gens or Frankens, I love them all...no discriminations for the timepieces have their own individual stories and distances covered. ;)

Here are the original images from the shores at Bay:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

I'm no expert but I can't see anything wrong with the case/dial/handset. The twinlock looks original (if it's not, me want some)

The bezel insert might be recent or aftermarket but it doesn't detract.

I'd love to see a picture of the caseback (inside and outside) and the movement, though.

I'm no expert either but I agree with BB.

It would be cool to see the case back in and out indeed. :D

The pearl/insert is indeed or a service or an aftermarkt.

That is fine but that is unfortunately almost always the case on old watches.

Even on a 16800 I had to source hands and insert/pearl to replace the service ones that were installed.

Frank, have you spotted something we can't see?

In all cases, that watch is georgus

EDIT: I posted prior to see more photos.

I sincerely think the dial is fine and so are the hands.

Mine are a tad longer and they are not genuine.

So Pre V ...I think you can continue to be in love with your gen :)

I'm no expert either but I agree with BB.

It would be cool to see the case back in and out indeed. :D

The pearl/insert is indeed or a service or an aftermarkt.

That is fine but that is unfortunately almost always the case on old watches.

Even on a 16800 I had to source hands and insert/pearl to replace the service ones that were installed.

Frank, have you spotted something we can't see?

In all cases, that watch is georgus

EDIT: I posted prior to see more photos.

I sincerely think the dial is fine and so are the hands.

Mine are a tad longer and they are not genuine.

So Pre V ...I think you can continue to be in love with your gen :)

hehe :D the ebay pictures look good 2me -

i would be too scared get such a watch from ebay - thanks for the infos PreV

the red date is nice and rare .

the only concern would be the dial ... but who cares anyway ;)

That's a magnificent case. See how the "north" crown guard is thicker than the "south"? I love that about vintage Rolex. And the caseback stamping looks just like my Seadweller. Nice, nice, nice.

Just when I had myself convinced that I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER WATCH... you post this. Thanks a lot. :shutup2:

Yes, I edited mine :D

Thanks Stephane, appreciate your reply and insights! :)

Trust me, I was encumbered in fear just now and am still quite skeptical --- which is quite normal for most of us who dwells in both spectrums.

So I will take more pictures of the back dial (once the watch has been stripped down) and see if there are any imprints that might confirm the authenticity.