When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Poor Quality Straps

narikaa

Sorry but just cant bottle this up any more

& I'm sincerely sorry if it bursts anyones bubble.

BUT

Am I the only one noticing the atrocious standard of stitching on many of the straps offered on the forum. I hark back to my days involved with pistols when the 'fit n finish' of the associated leatherwork was a faultless work of art, and any stitching doing this //// not this ----- or not in a true straight line would be dismissed as rubbish. Similarly edge finish was of paramount importance too.

OK Rant Over

Just seems incongruous to me that no one picks up on this when any manner of minuscule (and by comparison relatively unseen) 'flaws' on the reps they might support are the subject of incessant debate.

Am I the only one noticing the atrocious standard of stitching on many of the straps offered on the forum.

As with watches, I'm willing to forgive certain lower quality aspects for the right price. Anything under $20 and all bets are off, as long as it looks good from a distance and holds the watch to my wrist.

I would like a strap to last at least 2 years. Watches gain 'character' over time with the wear they receive, the strap should do the same as well as hold up to use. I am still looking for a good 24mm 'horned gator/croc' - (125/80) strap for less than 100.00. I know that I am dreaming but this is my dream strap.

Usil

I think Puggy's answer would be the norm, the members want watches to look as good as gen they really don't care if someone points out that they are wearing a cheap strap (maybe because it wont happen) as long as it looks good on the watch to them.

And don't forget Reg you have stated that you were trained to nit pick leather goods as we have been trained to nit pick watches. :)

Ken

Looking good is part of it but it has to feel good on the wrist too (especially the wide straps for the Panerai). I have one strap, a Toscana Vero Cuoio that has the look and the feel on the wrist that I like. It is not an expensive strap but is the best one I have in my collection. If they all felt as good I would be happy but all the others I have are a poor second place - they look ok but just don't have the comfort.

Usil

And don't forget Reg you have stated that you were trained to nit pick leather goods as we have been trained to nit pick watches. :)

Ken

Wrong, wrong Ken

NO training required...no expert knowledge at all....a retard can see the difference between correctly made leather work and that done by a DIY newbie with two needles and a boxcutter.

this is interesting... i always thought the straps that the strap dealers had or custom made were supposed to be good...this thread is interesting as i am still looking for the perfect strap for my 029... any suggestions? i quite like the natural python leather HKTan does...

I would like a strap to last at least 2 years. Watches gain 'character' over time with the wear they receive, the strap should do the same as well as hold up to use. I am still looking for a good 24mm 'horned gator/croc' - (125/80) strap for less than 100.00. I know that I am dreaming but this is my dream strap.

Usil

Buying a leather strap like SC's i want to last me 10 years. But i'm very careful about watches and straps.

If I do dome works outdoors, i'm wearing a robust daily beater on a superstrong strap.

Well, 2 years is conservative. If it lasts longer all the better. I follow all posts about straps and those that have pictures are best. But, I will take my time before I ever buy another strap. Too many unused ones in the drawer.

Usil

There are so many manufacturers and price ranges out there (especially for Panerai) that you must be nuts like me to have almost every strap and style from every manufacturer to be able to find out the best with just a look.

Price can be according to the leather, handmade, custom order, buckle or not, rarity (limited editions) etc etc..

As david said in another topic someone's leather 'stinch' is anothers reason of buying a strap and sniffing it all day long :whistling:

Saying that some straps are poor quality is like saying that in this world there are bad people. :rolleyes:

How much they cost? What leather they use? Are they hand made? Where are they made? ...and of course many many more questions...

EDITED TO ADD:

Plus .. it depends on the leather if the stitching if straight or not.. For example you do not expect on aligator straps to have straight stitching when the leather is not flush but has grain to it..

My 249$ genuine Panerai aligator strap has not completely straight stitching (and this happens to all the gen aligator straps i have seen)

I've had/have a LOT of straps... V and myself share the same passion/sickness for these wonderful adornments for our watches.

There are many factors that can make or break a watchstrap, one of the main thing I've found is that there are very few bad straps from great strapmakers and there are great straps that cost a whole lot less, BUT, you usually (and I use the term loosely) get what you pay for... Here are some examples...

A few great straps for my better half, both made by Aaron HKTan, and he's done a wonderful job... Nice straight stitch on very difficult crocodile and perfect stitching on Louis Vuitton Vernis leather:

102877-25828.jpg

102877-25829.jpg

102877-25830.jpg

Here are a few exotics that I ordered for myself... Besides being too light in color for my liking, this stuff (monitor lizard) has scales as hard as rocks and is very difficult to puncture, and impossible to make a straight line of holes for the stitching:

102877-25831.jpg

102877-25832.jpg

Here's a bony croc also done by Aaron... Perfect stitch and a beautiful job... Had to sell as it was too small for me.. Got lost in the mail and now my PayPal account has a dispute hanging over it :thumbdown:

102877-25833.jpg

Here's a Horween shell cordovan in violet from Bruce... Shell cordovan is very fine horse hide and the quality from the makers of these fine straps is superb... Best you can get. Stick with BigB Bruce and Drew at Europelli and you can't go wrong:

102877-25834.jpg

Here are a couple of OEMs... First, the ever elusive Tantalium OEM, or butterscotch, the next is Black Calf with 'Ecrue' :blink: stitch... calling it ivory would've been fine by me :lol:

The quality is excellent, and you pay for it :Jumpy:

I must say although, that they aren't really anything over some of the aftermarket straps out there, but are simple and just plain made well... The quality is very consistent and you won't get a 'bad' one.

102877-25835.jpg

102877-25836.jpg

102877-25837.jpg

Here's a Mario Paci Decima... The latest creation from the man himself... Beautiful leather, thick as a brick, smelly as a fine cigar, and beautifully supple... Hand made and just exudes quality... Big bickies for these, but well worth it IMHO:

102877-25838.jpg

Here's a baseball glove strap from Drew at Europelli.... I can not say enough good about this man, from the quality of all his products to the service he is tops in my book... His prices are midrange, everything else is way beyond that.

The baseball straps are some of my favourites, got a natural and a black... I have never worn a strap so soft :wub:

102877-25839.jpg

And HERE's the strap that got V all hot and horny after seeing mine... He likes black on black, I like the black on tan.

Jose (Jetan) from the Big Watch Boutique makes these as you wish, long or short, wide, narrow or tapered, you get what you want, but be prepared to wait. Great straps at a great price. I think this is one of the classiest out there IMO... Black Prada!!:

102877-25840.jpg

102877-25841.jpg

And last, but surely not least, there are some here with great original ideas that can offer us some very cool stuff... Ideas by V, manufacturing by Aaron, two guys I consider my friends... My hat is off to you both :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

102877-25842.jpg

All in all, you typically get good quality from the manufacturers, but a strap is a very personal thing, one man's strap is another man's rubbish (or vice versa or something like that)

Sometimes you get less than what you thought, but you will live and learn, eventually :lol:

I haven't seen too many 'really bad' straps out there, but there are some borderline.... Pick your dealer, then your strap... hmmmm, sounds familiar.