When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aquatimer inner bezels being relumed

Chronus

I love my bumpy lume ;)

That's a macro shot, but that is one where I don't see any bumps ? :mellow:

I know The Zigmeister is human ... or is he...? Is he the Stig?

(note to Zigg and others from the Americas: The Stig is in a TV show here called "Top Gear", where he is an uber-race car driver and seen as not human and robotic... recently revealed to be Michael Schumacher... and then not)

I have personally seen siesta's ziggified slevin mate... let me also add that it looks fantastic! :good:

Thanks for the input :tu:

Looks like I may need to get mine done ;)

The level of precision achieved by the relume is actually quite amazing... Zig does these completely by hand, one little dot at a time. To put things into perspective, imagine doing the same- Tiny little applications of lume, repetitively, all over a relatively small and square surface area while trying to edge around numbers and borders and keeping the overall surface of the lume flat. And all before the lume dries...

Also keep in mind that there's practically zero margin for error- I doubt that lume is very forgiving and I'm sure that spares are not easily sourced for the inner bezel.

what a great lume job The Zigmeister. these superlumed Slevins are really hard to come by and not everyone will accept the job for the inner bezel.

If someone wants to sell their ziggied out Slevin, just send it my way. :)

Me first!

The level of precision achieved by the relume is actually quite amazing... Zig does these completely by hand, one little dot at a time. To put things into perspective, imagine doing the same- Tiny little applications of lume, repetitively, all over a relatively small and square surface area while trying to edge around numbers and borders and keeping the overall surface of the lume flat. And all before the lume dries...

Also keep in mind that there's practically zero margin for error- I doubt that lume is very forgiving and I'm sure that spares are not easily sourced for the inner bezel.

I really don't know where the patience to do that comes from... I know I couldn't :(

The Zigmeister relumed my Slevin and I'm pleased as Punch :D And, to add to the other comments, it really is an unbelievably good piece of work, micron-perfect alignment around the numerals in particular. If I had a gen and wanted it relumed, I know where I'd be sending it ;)

One other comment is that whilst there's no denying that the rep is excellent 'out of the box', once modded (movement, date wheels and lume) it feels very 'gen' like.......and no, I'm not selling it :p

PS. This post was never aimed at The Zigmeister, as I have no idea if anyone else does this sort of relumes either (Vacuum?), so please, no one take it like that (or use the topic in that way)!

It was a genuine question after always seeing macro shots the relumed watch and trying to ascertain a real-life view of it.

This place is all about learning and asking questions, and I feel I've learned here :tu:

Quite a few people have answered and I thank you all for that :)

Edited by Chronus

I suppose that in Zig's case, it really helps to be an artist to begin with. Although what he does on watches and what he does on canvas are two very different forms of media, the same level of precision and attention to detail are required for both. However, I am not sure how many painting artists out there could also do what Rob does with relumes and watch work... The man undeniably has talent... We're just lucky to be the recipients of those skills!

I suppose that in Zig's case, it really helps to be an artist to begin with. Although what he does on watches and what he does on canvas are two very different forms of media, the same level of precision and attention to detail are required for both. However, I am not sure how many painting artists out there could also do what Rob does with relumes and watch work... The man undeniably has talent... We're just lucky to be the recipients of those skills!

Enough said! :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I love my bumpy lume ;)

Ditto...the glow wakes up my 2 year old daughter some time...seriously. I laugh and cheer...my wife hits me. I love it.

And...I know the blue lume is not accurate...but that's what I wanted. I tried to order a gen one at the AD and they told me 9 months for ANY IWC special order, and a 12 months + for the LE CD series...so I said screw it. The blue is amazing...and Zig did his usual stellar work on it. Something to note as well is that I can only imagine how hard it is to get an EVEN layer of glow without great difficulty because the thickness of lume needs to be extremely consistent. Applying lume within the lines is only half the battle, you also have to apply it EVENLY across the surface. I don't know how Zig does it, but it's amazing.

Did I say I love it already? ;) And yes...on a boring late night and I have to work late, it is fun to charge the sucker up, turn out the lights, and read a novel by the glow of the watch. That's my blue one Zig did...fun fun!!

What's never mentioned is his painting of the lume on the numbers AROUND the rotating bezel (not just the big white part). Holy Crap...no space to make errors...you would never know ANYTHING was painted on it...until you turn out the lights and it glows like an elf sword when the orcs are near. I don't know how he painted those numbers...incredible.

You're absolutely right there. A while back, I spoke to someone who did work as an artist doing airbrush designs as nail art, and while the work they did was phenomenal, they said that the level of precision they had to achieve, effectively wrecked their sense of scale, and they found it almost impossible to 'scale up' again to working on larger mediums... I would really like to give re-luming a try, but I'm absolutely terrified about the potential results :lol:

Damn you Zig! I've been on the fence for a while now, trying to decide between a couple of watches that will be my next purchase. I knew that when I eventually get the AT, I'd want the nice bumpy blue lume form you. That pic you posted is beautiful, and pretty much made up my mind on my next purchase. And now I'll go buy the watch, and then sit for months on your waiting list :p

As always, you do perfect work!

WR

Edited by wraithride