When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT II

TANFOGLIO

Welcome back Monsieur Tanfo

Thanks Stephane

Beautiful 16710 Tanfo!

Is it a new acquisition? 2001-2003 model, right?

Wow, that is beautiful....as a Rolex noob, please excuse this next question......is that a gen?

Gen Watch

Edited by TANFOGLIO

I understand from By-tor's review that the ETA 2836-2 movement has the GMT hand moving in one hour increments.

Is this the same for the 21j and Asian clone 2836-2?

No, only the "time bomb" correct hand stack operates like the gen. The GMT hand doesn't move in 1 hour increments, only the HOUR HAND does. On CHS replica and genuine. Both operate similarly (except that rep has a quick set date, genuine doesn't). On the genuine the date can be set backwards as well, when you roll the hour hand counterclockwise. This doesn't work on the rep.

GMT hand only moves smoothly along with the 12h hand, in half speed of course. GMT hand is not independently settable on ANY genuine Rolex watch. The old 1570/1575 movement (that was used in model 1675 aka GMT MASTER I plexiglass) didn't have settable GMT hand, either. GMT function was only operated from the rotating bezel.

All other replica "GMT faux" movements have a smooth, independently settable GMT hand. It's not a GMT movement at all but the function is just as useful as on a real GMT watch (as long as you set the 24h hand correctly).

Read this article, it explains it. It's a cheap bastardized Chinese "faux GMT" but I love the WHS ETA movement. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.