When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC inspector #13 must have had the day off...

Well just when you think you have seen it all, along comes another bunch of surprises...

Nice Daytona but as soon as I take the bracelet off and spy these bent like banana's spring bars, I am a bit unsure of what was to come, certainly not a good start.

1.jpg

I decide to give the watch a wind and see how it's working and to test the chrono's...it doesn't wind...

as a matter of fact, the Crown falls off in my hand...

Ok, so why don't I test out the pushers to make sure the chrono turns on and off, so I unscrew the pusher...

and it falls out, yikes...

well lets unscrew the other one, and it TOO falls out...(I am not making this up)

2.jpg

Alright, not the end of the world, but not a great start either...so open the caseback, it's barely finger tight, what's the first thing I see:

what happened to the Rotor, it's MISSING.

3.jpg

A closer look at the crown reveals the problem, there are no threads left for the stem to screw into, no wonder it fell off...as for the pushers they were not secured in the case...

4.jpg

Well it can't get any worse can it? lets uncase the movement and have a look.

Not looking great in the side shot, the center seconds hand is not seated where it should be, and is loose, a close look shows the hand tube is filled with glue... :(

5.jpg

Alright, time for a closer inspection of the hands, they don't look so good either, all full of finger prints and stains, remember that this is a BRAND NEW fresh from a Dealer watch, what you see is the condition as delivered, talk about a bad day on the assembly line.

6.jpg

Next up, off comes the hands and the dial and lets start to take the movement apart and see why it's not running...

First up, it looks like there is going to be a problem with the 30 minute counter drive, unless there is some sort of invisible force field between the gears it's not going to work, the gears aren't even meshed with each other.

7.jpg

Lets remove this plate and see what the rest of the movement looks like, what do we have here? Is that a grinding mark on the mainplate?

Why would someone grind out a piece of the bottom plate and the bottom of the mainspring arbour???

8.jpg

Flipping the movement over and take apart a few more bridges, and what happens, one of the screw inserts falls out and some other piece of metal from somewhere falls out as well...

If you look closely at the balance wheel hairspring, note that at the 10 o'clock position the spacing of the hairspring, now compare this to the spacing at the 4 o'clock position, the hairspring is not concentric and out of round.

9.jpg

Lets remove the balance and pallet, and test out the going train to see why it's not running, I give the mainspring barrel a wind and nothing, it's frozen solid and the gears are not moving...so off comes the bridge and what do we have here???

The great wheel teeth are all distorted and there seems to be something wrong with the second wheel below it...the circled section appears flat, not rounded as it should be...

10.jpg

Here is a better view of the great wheel gear, note the teeth all pushed in one direction and distorted.

11.jpg

And here is a view of the great wheel and the second wheel, note the bend in the top edge, it looks like it was hit with a screwdriver.

12.jpg

So what do you do with this?

You put it back together, document your findings, and send it back to the dealer for a refund or replacement.

Never have I seen such terrible workmanship and so much damage on a brand new fresh from the dealer watch. Not sure what happened but someone was really asleep when this one was put together, or maybe it was late on a Friday and TGIF at the bar... Lesson learned, when it starts out bad, it can sometimes get much worse.

looks like this one was assembled from the worst parts...absolutely no QC and definitely bought from a dealer that dropships!

whoever is the dealer that sold this piece of crap should send a brand new one free of charge to the buyer...

Thanks for the nice pictorial...it is always nice to see detailed pics of what crap can be found inside reps!

Never have I seen such terrible workmanship and so much damage on a brand new fresh from the dealer watch. Not sure what happened but someone was really asleep when this one was put together, or maybe it was late on a Friday and TGIF at the bar... Lesson learned, when it starts out bad, it can sometimes get much worse.

Wow...

Whenever someone makes a "My new watch arrived but doesn't work and won't wind..." post, I'm going to think of this... Absolutely crazy... Thanks for taking the time to document such findings, it's certainly interesting to see how and why a DOA watch is DOA...

My stars, you're not actually going to try to fix this, Zig?

I'd send it right back and ask for my money back, including shipping.

This is actually depressing, we pay a lot of money for these watches.

This sad wretch looks like the Rosetta Stone of nearly all of the problems that typically plague reps. It is really a crap-shoot out there, guys. And if ever there was a good reason to buy even the simplest of watchmakers' tools (so you can at least remove the caseback), this is it. Though, to be fair, I have seen similarly nasty stuff (though not to this degree) inside a couple of Phong's expensive franken-tonas.

This sad wretch looks like the Rosetta Stone of nearly all of the problems that typically plague reps. It is really a crap-shoot out there, guys. And if ever there was a good reason to buy even the simplest of watchmakers' tools (so you can at least remove the caseback), this is it. Though, to be fair, I have seen similarly nasty stuff (though not to this degree) inside a couple of Phong's expensive franken-tonas.

Do you think this watch came from Phong?