When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Challenges in becoming a rep collector...

Gadgeguy2009

Hello all,

I wanted to share with you some of the challenges I am facing in becoming

a replica collector. I hope I will not bore you and maybe you have some

advice for me.

A couple of weeks ago I have discovered the wonderful world of replicas,

mainly through this forum. I have been collecting watches now for over 10

years, but mainly japanese and some swiss models - all quartz.

Since I discovered replicas, I have sold most of my japanese and swiss

watches, and after doing quite a bit of research (and receiving patient

guidance from members here - especially Toadtorrent: thank you again!) I

bought a number of replicas (details in my signature).

So far I have received four, and all had various issues.

- The first one arrived about two weeks ago: an Orange/Orange Ultimate

Plante Ocean with asian ETA: it looked amazing, but had a number of

issues. First, one of the bracelet links fell apart - I needed some

loctite to fix it. Second, it ran about 5 minutes per day slow. So my

first trip to the watchmaker recommended by Toadtorrent was on order. The

watchmaker was initially amazed: he told me that he never saw such a great

replica. After fixing the watch (and paying $100 for it) I was told that

the movement was not that great (as he had to hammer one of the parts

straight as it was bent), but after replacing the broken balance wheel all

should be good now. And in fact, the watch runs now about 2 seconds per

day fast. Excellent result, and I really like it!

- My second and third replica arrived a week ago: a Breitling SOSF and an

AP Royal Oak automatic. The Breitling is amazing, and I really like it. It

runs very accurately - however it intermittently stops. Maybe there is

some dirt in the movement? The Royal Oak is also very nice, and also very

accurate - but it runs very accurately 30 seconds per day slow. So another

trip to the watchmaker was needed - and both watches are currently being

fixed / adjusted / cleaned or whatever else is needed.

- My fourth watch arrived last Friday. It is a quartz Hublot (I am a bit

scared of the 7750, so I ordered the quartz). That watch, while I realize

it is not a great replica (in addition the chrono minutes hand does not

reset to 12 o'clock but to 2 o'clock - it was probably not properly put

together), it is a really high quality, amazing design with superb AR. I

think I will have to get soon a true 7750 based one...

Which leads me to my big dilemma.

My next watch to arrive is a Breitling Skyland V3 (hopefully some time

next week), but so far I do not know whom I would trust the watch with for

servicing. The watchmaker who fixed my UPO is a nice person, and I trust

him with ETA / ETA clone movements, but he himself admitted, that he is

not very comfortable with the 7750 movement. So I am really not sure what

to do.

In addition, I really really would like to get a nice (ceramic bezel, 7750

based) Hublot model - but I do not dare for now, as even the Skyland may

have an uncertain future (due to lack of proper service...)

I have already contacted The Zigmeister, but I got no response (I

understand that he is very busy, and also he is selective to who he works

for - as I am a total noob).

Anyway, for now I hope that the Skyland works without servicing for a

while, and I do not order other 7750 based watches for now (Hublot is

calling - I have to resist!), especially based on the experience of my

first three watches. I cannot afford to spend several hundred dollars on a

watch that cannot be properly serviced...

Still: I love the replicas I got so far, and I am sure that the Breitling

Seawolf as wall as the SuperOcean Heritage will also be amazing.

The final question: what would you do: would you order a Hublot if you

were in my shoes?

Thanks for reading...

a7750 is not bad....if i liked Hulot..i would go for the $700 range ones.....if you got bad luck..(i.e movt problems...) send it off to Rob...he is in Canada too....(like 1 hr flight from ur province......).....

Edit: sorry...didnt read ur post fully....looks like u already contacted Rob.....but ..yea...ur first 3 watches are probably just bad luck....i never had a rep that runs like urs.....regardless the movt....asain or eta....they all run fine...

Edited by Bll

If I were you, I'd wait to see how your Skyland performs. I don't own many reps, but most of them are 2824/2836 movements. Just like you said, they are less complicated movement for servicing. If the Skyland movement fails, I'd spend $350-400 and buy a Swiss 7750 (25J) movement and drop in there. Good luck!

Edited by cougaree

If I may suggest- Perhaps consider purchasing your 7750 based watches pre-owned; you'll not only avoid the depreciation factor in buying new, but you can also inquire on movement performance as well. Granted, I think it's always a good idea to have these movements overhauled when first received as it's good to get a baseline on service, at least you'll have an idea on how well it's running before hand, and can perhaps enjoy the watch for a while before having to send it off for work.

When you do send the watch in for service, consider any other items you'd like to address at the time, like lume, AR, etc. Wearing the watch for a short while will allow you the opportunity to get familiar with it and you can then better determine what areas you'd like to upgrade.

Good luck! Unfortunately, that's how it sometimes goes with the rep game. You do run into small issues from time to time, but the risk is not limited to reps- Gens can exhibit the same flaws and problems as well ;)

All I can say is don't be discouraged by all these minor setbacks. the joy derived from reps far outweigh the minor heartaches.

Its important to have a watchmaker who is able to service 7750 reps somewhere near you coz the A7750 is a reliable movement. I have no problem with any of the A7750s that I have bought.

Perservere and you will be rewarded

Cheers

siesta

Yes, sounds like a string of bad luck.

But it's important to remember that this hobby demands much more than collecting gens. The highs and lows are part of the draw of the whole game. Who hasn't felt the disappointment when a favorite watch stops working, or the elation of getting it back from China or the local watchsmith in fully-working condition again. Then there's the excitement of the chase - choosing your next watch, shopping for the best price, trying to grab a used one from the forums, getting beaten to the punch by a fellow forum member, waiting, waiting, waiting, choosing to buy a new one instead, then waiting some more for it to arrive before the magic moment of opening up that package....

No-one said this was easy, but as most people here would agree, that's part of what makes it fun.

Yes, sounds like a string of bad luck.

But it's important to remember that this hobby demands much more than collecting gens. The highs and lows are part of the draw of the whole game. Who hasn't felt the disappointment when a favorite watch stops working, or the elation of getting it back from China or the local watchsmith in fully-working condition again. Then there's the excitement of the chase - choosing your next watch, shopping for the best price, trying to grab a used one from the forums, getting beaten to the punch by a fellow forum member, waiting, waiting, waiting, choosing to buy a new one instead, then waiting some more for it to arrive before the magic moment of opening up that package....

No-one said this was easy, but as most people here would agree, that's part of what makes it fun.

+1

First of all: thank you all for the encouragement.

It is really nice to see that I am not on my own with this!

And now a positive update: I have received three reps yesterday:

- a Breitling Heritage ( very nice!)

- a Breitling Seawolf Titanium (very nice) and

- a Breitling Colt ( reasonable - cheap replica; you get what you pay for)

and...

so far all three seem to have no problems whatsoever! Two are on a winder and run fine (and accurate) the third one is on my wrist.

Maybe these three will not have to go the watchmaker immediately after they arrived? :)

you're definitely not on your own. i recently had to order a total of four iwc big pilot 5004's before i received the correct one in working condition. i totally agree with ubiquitous and recommend buying one from another member that has already tested the watch but it looks as though you're on to your next batch with no issues. all the best!

welcome. the main problem with collecting reps, as you have seen, is the lack of quality control

especially with the movements. i have close to 40 reps and would say that at least 1/4 had to be fixed.

you need to find a rep friendly watchsmith(who can fix chronos) or send to The Zigmeister or rex. at this point, i usually factor $100

into the cost of a rep for repairs. even then its a good deal- if you spend $400 for a 5k watch.

Wow you ordered a crap load of watches in a very short period of time.

:)

When I discovered the current rep market, I very quickly sold (most of) my quartz watch collection (20+ as new watches ) - which allowed me to fund my rep collection.

Despite the hiccups, I am really glad I made the change! Reps are amazing, much more so than various Japanese or Swiss quartz models.

A new update - :angry:

My Breitling Heritage run perfectly till about noon today - and then somehow lost 20 minutes between noon and 5 PM. Maybe it has dirt in the movement (like my SOSF, which worked very well - but intermittently stopped; the watchmaker found large pieces of dirt in the brand new asian ETA movement)?

If I have to take nearly all watches for repair, in that case this will blow my budget for watches...

I just hope that the other two watches that came together with the Heritage are fine - they looked so far good on the winder - but now I will wear them to see how they work in real life...

And: this PM I got the Skyland with the 7750 movement. I hope it works, as I do not have a solution for servicing it yet...

Still: all the watches (whether they work or not) look really really amazing - so with some patience (and some money) I know I will have soon a fully functional collection of amazing timepieces! :victory::black_eye:

• 1 year later...

My Breitling Heritage run perfectly till about noon today - and then somehow lost 20 minutes between noon and 5 PM. Maybe it has dirt in the movement (like my SOSF, which worked very well - but intermittently stopped; the watchmaker found large pieces of dirt in the brand new asian ETA movement)?

If I have to take nearly all watches for repair, in that case this will blow my budget for watches...

I just hope that the other two watches that came together with the Heritage are fine - they looked so far good on the winder - but now I will wear them to see how they work in real life...

And: this PM I got the Skyland with the 7750 movement. I hope it works, as I do not have a solution for servicing it yet...

Still: all the watches (whether they work or not) look really really amazing - so with some patience (and some money) I know I will have soon a fully functional collection of amazing timepieces! :victory::black_eye:

who do you buy from? i bought mine from Josh :drinks:

Heigh-ho, it's 2009 again, and I'm really liking this vintage Explorer rep I bought from Hont. Does anyone know if an aftermarket crystal will fit on this thing? And what's the best way of drilling lugho--OMG YOU GUYS, MICHAEL JACKSON JUST DIED!!! :cry2:

Hey guys as mentioned earlier in this post.....I read about this Rob guy from canada for servicing.....I'm from Canada as well, and just scored my first rep breitling sa baton style from kings......Was just wondering if anyone could direct me to contacting Rob for the A7750 service i'm reading i should get done soon after receiving a rep.....

Any help for this Canadian noob would be greatly appreciated gents......Thank you...

If it makes you feel any better, the experience you describe is the exception, not the rule.

The trick is to buy good reps from the best vendors - I wouldn't have anything but real swiss movements, and never bought any junk.

I have probably had about 100 reps in my collection, about a dozen of which I wear with a three or four that get worn regularly. Since they die when you quit wearing them for a couple of days, and I don't like having to reset the three or four I usually wear, I have watch boxes with rotating carousels for those. I don't bother to keep any of the others rotating.

The end result is, four watches with real Swiss movements have been running for years and years - a 2892 movement, a 2893 movement and two 2836 movements. They keep perfect time.

I can tell you a couple of things about Ziggy. He's built a reputation for honest and reliability over the years that is only surpassed by his work product. I've had him do several mods for me, and he's always told me that the movements in my watches looked good, and recommended against servicing until they needed it.

Other than the MBWs, most of my watches came thru Josh. There are others here with good reputations too, but if you want to build a good relationship with a source, you don't spread your business out over the field - it's my theory that when one guy sells you a hundred watches, you're going to have more loyalty and care than if you've bought ten watches from ten different people. That's certainly proved out in my case.

Consider, with all the shady stuff out there in the rep world, you're counting on your dealer to make sure you get what you pay for, which isn't always easy for them. If you are a consistent buyer, it only makes sense that they are going to try to keep your business.

Further, when they know you real well, good things happen - like the email I got, "Hey Bill, word is that there are some real GMT movement Rolexes available and they're exceptionally good. We may never see them again." I bought the four he could get and, ask around - we have never seen them again. Just try to find a Rollie GMT with a 2893 in it and see what the owner wants for it.

When you're one of his best customers, any dealer with any sense is going to try and look out for you.

Just my .02

Bill

post-223-0-59511200-1302354907.jpg

post-223-0-76651800-1302354921.jpg

post-223-0-93725800-1302354945.jpg